iPhone X iPhone X photos not transferring

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ipadoxca, Nov 3, 2017.

1. ipadoxca macrumors regular

I chose to setup from a back from my iPhone 7 Plus. Unfortunately everything but my pictures transferred over. I use iCloud Photo Library I’m wondering if anyone else had the same issue ?

2. BrettDS macrumors 65816

Photos in the iCloud Photo Library aren’t included in the backup because they are already stored in iCloud. Make sure that you have iCloud Photo Library enabled on the X and make sure that you’re signed in with the same Apple ID

3. oOMezzaOo macrumors member

oOMezzaOo

If it says updating be sure to connect it to the charger for it to copy over your photos.

4. Tekzilla macrumors regular

Tekzilla

Is this an update? My pictures transferred over seamlessly from my 6 plus to 7 plus.

5. BrettDS macrumors 65816

Yeah, that’s a good point. I believe it needs to be on WiFi and it doesn’t update if the battery is below a certain level.

6. ipadoxca thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you and yes I do. They are just not downloading. Ima give it the night to finish. Hopefully it works out. I hate restoring.

7. hspace macrumors regular

hspace

I have the same issue with my iPhone X - I have 14Gb of pictures and videos stored in iCloud, but none of them are visible on my iPhone X.

I have restored from iCloud backups on earlier phones, and then the pictures started loading pretty quickly. But not here... it’s been 6hrs, and the only pictures I see on the phone are the new ones I have taken with this phone.

EDIT: and of course, as soon as I posted this they started loading. Hmm, I guess plugging it in to power made the difference this time.

8. stevenisHAUNTED macrumors regular

I have over 8000+ photos and videos. Maybe you have an extensive library and that’s why it’s taking a while? I know mine isn’t going to be finished with the library any time soon. :(

9. Five_Oh macrumors regular

Five_Oh

For me, it didn't start on my photo library until ALL my apps were loaded. Then it went to photos and knocked them out pretty quickly.

Hopefully overnight gets it for ya.

10. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

My iPhone wouldn’t transfer the photos until I charged my phone until almost 60%. Then it worked like a charm!

11. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

Yeah, it won't download the photos under 50%. Mine took about an hour for about 20,000 photos.

12. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Wow I only had 3k photos to download so it only took about 20min.

13. CjonesHouston macrumors 65816

CjonesHouston

Had the same issue with our X’s earlier. Charged, put on WiFi and photos appeared.

14. ipadoxca thread starter macrumors regular

interesting but yes y’all are right after a while picture started coming in.

15. maugustine, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017

maugustine macrumors regular

maugustine

I'm having a similar issue. Photos I take on my iPhone X are not transferring to other devices through my iCloud Photo Library. I restored my iPhone X from a backup yesterday, and iCloud Photos is enabled.

I tried toggling iCloud Photo Library off and on on the X, but I get a message that the "...iCloud lPhoto Library is currently updating" and that I should allow the update to finish. Everything but the last 5 or so pictures from my iPhone 7+ is showing in the iPhone X's photo library, so I think something might have gotten stuck somewhere.

Any suggestions?

Update: Photos on my Mac says "Updating..." but then crashes after a few minutes. :-(

16. ipadoxca thread starter macrumors regular

I would try to crate a backup of your photos from your Mac just Incase. But after leaving my phone charging over night everything appeared.

17. maugustine macrumors regular

maugustine

I'll try and let it go overnight tonight again and see if it corrects itself. :)

18. ScottERogers macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem. Mine will only download about 800 of my 8000 pictures. I called Apple and they didn't know the cause. Went to the Apple store and was told what I figured and was hoping I wouldn't have to do which is reset it and re-try a restore. Did that and it still isn't working. I bout the 256gb version for a reason. I want to have all my pictures on it. Hopefully apple figures out the issue.

19. maugustine macrumors regular

maugustine

Yeah mine is Still not working. :-(

20. ScottERogers macrumors newbie

Another interesting issue is I tried to download the iCloud drive app because it wasn't on my phone and the App store says "This app requires specific features not available on this device" and wont let me download it. I can't imagine what features aren't on their newest most expensive phone that would be needed to run an apple app.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2017 ---
    I even did the delete and restore again from the backup and it managed to pull even less photos in than last time. Pretty disappointed about it so far.

21. BFG86 macrumors 6502

When I set mine up on Friday, by Sunday it had said I had 40,000 photos and it was up to date, but I have 53,000 photos and it stopped updating. I tried turning off icloud photo library off and on again, but that made things worse, as it wouldn't download photos at all.

I plugged my phone into my computer and delete the photo sqlite database with ifunbox and it started downloading again, overnight I was back to the same 40,000 photos and now my albums are empty.

Been almost a week and still don't have my photo library full synced. I have it on plugged in and I can scroll though the photos and get them to come in. another annoying thing is the screen keeps flashing when pictures are loaded. I picture will load, show the thumbnail, flash back to gray show the thumbnail over and over again.

It's making me want to throw my phone across the room very frustrating.

22. ScottERogers macrumors newbie

I’ve literally started looking at the return process. Not sure if I will or not. Just something I have literally looked into. I have until next Friday.... we’ll see.

23. montanaco macrumors 6502

montanaco

It takes up to 24hrs. Same happened to me. Talked to an apple rep they basically had me turn off icloud library and turn it back on, then just slept on it and the next day everything was there!

24. ScottERogers macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. Did that twice. It erased all my photos but would only pull in the same number every time. I talked with the apple support on the phone again and their best advice was a hard reset though iTunes. I'm doing that right now... This is a very frustrating issue.

25. montanaco macrumors 6502

montanaco

Damn sorry to hear that! What a weird bug.