iPhone X Iphone X plus... iPad cannibalizing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TreRep, Apr 10, 2018.

1. TreRep macrumors regular

TreRep

if we see an iPhone X Plus this falll.. 6.5 inch....

do you think it will be iPad cannibalizing?

2. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

If you compare the screens of iPhone X and 8, you'll see that the X has a screen that is just a wide, but a little taller. This is 5.8" vs 4.7", but doesn't really feel that much bigger because of the added height.

The X Plus might do the same, so adding some height to the 5.5" Plus screen. Not quite iPad territory IMO. Maybe iPad mini, but that device might already be cannibalized by the iPhone.

3. Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502a

The iPad was cannibalised by Plus sized phones and phone-only apps like Whatsapp , Snapchat and Instagram a very long time ago. A 6.5 iPhone won't change anything and as the previous poster said, added height won't make the iPhone more enjoyable for consuming content in landscape mode.

4. Sean006 macrumors 6502

to be honest i actually use my ipad less now with a Plus.
    i mean i can surf and get emails just as easy as my plus....so sometimes i don't even bother with my ipad air.

but a bigger phone i will not go for...plus size is pushing the limits for me and portability

5. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

no

will still use my iPad for all web browsing.

6. Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502a

The larger screen size of the iPhone X Plus will be achieved by eliminating bezels.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I use my phone in a pinch while out of the house. When at office or house the Internet is always on the iPads.

Even the X+ would not tempt me unless I had nothing else.

8. Sean006 macrumors 6502

yes thats what im holding off for but as far as the 6.5 that will probably be bigger than a plus size now no ?

9. Superrjamz54 macrumors 6502

Superrjamz54

Not by much if at all. Remember there won’t be a home button or anything that takes up extra bezels.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

No. But it also depends on how somebody uses the iPad and what for. Not everybody wants to use an iPad as large as it is for tasks that the iPhone can do. And in most cases, consumers have their iPhones with them more often than not over the iPad. Remember, the iPhone is more portable in a sense of where we can carry it with us more regularly and we revert to the iPhone for different purposes. But everybody’s uses will vary.

11. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

If the 6.5" iPhone adds split screen multi-tasking, it will certainly accelerate the cannibalization of smaller tablets like iPad mini.

12. ericwn macrumors 68020

We will see when we get to it. I believe that the use cases for phones and tablets are different. Not for everyone of course, and some users will naturally prefer their latest purchase as well. But the iPad mini has survived up to this day, with no care from Apple and surrounded by fat phones - shows us what a solid product looks like.

13. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

Even the iPad mini has a ton more screen real estate than the plus sized phones. Sadly, it’s looking like the Mini has already been eaten. Too bad, it was the perfect portable size.

14. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

If the iPhone display is big enough, it doesn't matter how much more display the iPad mini offers.

People simply don't want to carry two devices, especially if one of them is bulky.

A 15" MacBook offers a lot more real estate than a 10.5" iPad Pro but people don't want to carry both. If a 6.5" iPhone is sufficient, few will will need an iPad mini.

15. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

I never felt that the 16:9 ratio 5.5” plus phones offered enough screen real estate to compete with the Mini. I carried both, and neither one felt redundant. A 6.5” screen is starting to close the gap, but the 19.5:9 display ratio of the X still can’t compare to the comfort of viewing the 4:3 ratio of the iPad. It’s just a different experience and much better suited to web browsing-for me.

16. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

If my 8 plus didn’t canabalize it for me, my X Plus certainly won’t.

17. Cyberguycpt macrumors 6502a

Cyberguycpt

Don’t think so. I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus and just bought an iPad Pro 10.5 inch. I needed something bigger for browsing and media consumption. Sure when I’m out the house I use my phone, but at home so far it’s the IPad.

18. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Can’t do this on my iPhone!

Attached Files: