iPhone X Pre-order questions!

BrodieApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Hi I have a few questions;

- Am I at a high disadvantage without Apple Pay (iPhone 5) to get a good date?
-Is the payment and shipping details that I've already filled out all that needs to be prepared?
-Do I need to spam refresh the page to get through?
-Do I need to close and re open the apple store app to get through?
-Does it let you know whether pickup or delivery will get you a better date, does it take longer to select pick up possibly slipping my date?
Thank you anyone

lotsalag

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2017
Yes

-Is the payment and shipping details that I've already filled out all that needs to be prepared?
Yes

Yes

Yes

-Does it let you know whether pickup or delivery will get you a better date, does it take longer to select pick up possibly slipping my date?
No, Yes

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Hi I have a few questions;

Thank you anyone
You don't need apple pay, if Apple already has your payment details on file, apple pay is no faster.
If you bought from apple before they should have your information in your icloud account
I never needed anything special to get through.
If you're having trouble, but I never did
I'd say getting delivered is the safest bet. You don't need to deal with the crushing crowds at the apple store, it gets delivered right to your house

BrodieApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
You don't need apple pay, if Apple already has your payment details on file, apple pay is no faster.
If you bought from apple before they should have your information in your icloud account
I'd say getting delivered is the safest bet. You don't need to deal with the crushing crowds at the apple store, it gets delivered right to your house
Oh thank you that's good
The crowds aren't what is worrying me it's having to wait even longer :confused:

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Oh thank you that's good
The crowds aren't what is worrying me it's having to wait even longer :confused:
Patience, you'll get the phone in the course of time, why get worked up over a product. I'm all for getting up in the middle of the night (or 3:00am for me) to pre-order, but after then don't get too worked up over how to improve your place in line. ITs not worth the aggravation, it's just a phone after all.

BrodieApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Patience, you'll get the phone in the course of time, why get worked up over a product. I'm all for getting up in the middle of the night (or 3:00am for me) to pre-order, but after then don't get too worked up over how to improve your place in line. ITs not worth the aggravation, it's just a phone after all.
Yeah true

The 12th Man

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2016
When I order at 12:01, should I not even attempt looking at In Store Pickup and go straight for shipping instead? Would only waste 10-20 seconds at most.

Also, in the past, how quickly have shipping dates started to get pushed back? 3-5 mins after the pre order goes live?

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Basically you have zero chance with an iPhone 5, it's just too slow. If you have an iPhone 8 AND your ping is under 50ms then you will probably get one, otherwise probably not. Your only chance might be to use the Apple Store Wifi at 12:01 AM (ping < 10ms), otherwise forget about it.

The 12th Man

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2016
Basically you have zero chance with an iPhone 5, it's just too slow. If you have an iPhone 8 AND your ping is under 50ms then you will probably get one, otherwise probably not. Your only chance might be to use the Apple Store Wifi at 12:01 AM (ping < 10ms), otherwise forget about it.
Used the speed test app on my iP7+ and got 13 ping. Is that the kind of ping you mean?

tongefactor40

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
If I select pick up in store, does my card get charged right away or when I pick the phone up? Planning on buying it flat out, not upgrade program.

I’mpaced

Suspended
Sep 26, 2017
I jump online about 11:55 and start refreshing. I ALWAYS pick delivery because I can be at UPS and pick it up at 8am or whenever they open