iPhone X pre-orders in Mexico?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jrkenn, Sep 14, 2017.

1. jrkenn macrumors newbie

I (US resident) will be in Mexico on vacation on Oct 27, will I be able to pre-order through Apple at 12:01PDT on Oct 27 using the Apple Store app when I'm not in the US? Not sure that I saw what countries the X is available in at launch. Thanks for any help!

2. jrkenn thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Blondie&Dagwood macrumors 6502

Blondie&Dagwood

I’m in a similar boat literally, as on Oct 27th I will be on a cruise ship off the coast of Mexico. It should be fine, but just in case, I have downloaded two VPN apps to my Apple devices. Seems like PureVPN and NordVPN are the recommended ones. If there is a problem letting me purchase through the US Apple store, then I will enable VPN through a US server.

4. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

VPN to be safe.

5. Jrd123 Suspended

Make sure you remember VPN’s operate at much slower speeds since they route to many servers combined with spotty cruise ship internet... you may be SOL compared to those with stable internet speeds back home. I would not get your hopes up of a launch day delivery

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

I wouldn't get my hopes up for a launch day delivery, period.

7. iKrl macrumors regular

The app store is based on where your apple ID is registered and not where you are physically. If you ordered it on the mexican store you could only send it to an address in mexico and by paying with a mexican credit card

8. StarShot macrumors 6502a

StarShot

Good luck getting through with the ship's wifi. Every ship I've been on, the wifi service was super 2G which is well less than 1Mbps. OK for email, but not much else. That said, maybe a midnight you might sneak in.

9. Jrd123 Suspended

Do you not understand what a VPN is? Now you look like an idiot

10. Blondie&Dagwood macrumors 6502

Blondie&Dagwood

Yes in the old days, but more recently cruise lines have installed higher speed service. I’m traveling on Royal Caribbean where they use a provider called Voom who have a surf and stream package. Reading the forums, looks life the speed has consistently being recorded on Speedtest at around 5Mbps during peak hours during the day and at around 15 - 20Mbps in the early hours of the morning. It’s definitely not my Gbps plannI have at home, but with a bit of luck, I may just be in the running like ya’ll. If I have to go through a VPN then I am fully aware that slows down my service even more though :(

11. Jrd123 Suspended

Yep- we used Voom aboard the Allure of the Seas last Summer. It works well when it works. But there are times where the signal drops. Just be ready for it on preorder night, make sure all info is already in your account because you will be disadvantaged on a very tough preorder. I wish you luck

12. Bowlis78 macrumors newbie

Bowlis78

yes the pre-order here in mexico are at 27 oct but i expected ship dates non other tha 3-4 weeks.

Now on the other side...TELCEL the major carrier, plan to unveil on nov. 3 for contract plans...maybe i can get one =)

13. Blondie&Dagwood macrumors 6502

Blondie&Dagwood

I will actually be sailing on Allure, so good to hear from you that it works well. Trust me, I will have all my ducks in a row on pre-order night. Hopefully the signal won't drop around the pre-order time. We dock in Cozumel the very next day, so at 3am EST, I expect we will be near the coast of Mexico and not in the middle of the Caribbean ocean somewhere - so hopefully that helps. Any tips on where on the ship you got the best signal?

14. Jrd123 Suspended

At 3 AM eastern, you luckily won’t be competing with many other guests for bandwidth. (Unless many people on board are trying to preorder!) my advice would be to hunt for a visible router somewhere along the cieling and camp near there. If there are none visable, download Speed Test or some similar app and walk around to a few locations and test the wifi speeds until you find a fast spot. Hopefully your room will be sufficient so you don’t have to leave early in the morning. Make sure you check out the cafe on Deck 8 in the Central Park area! Great spot for a relatively healthy quick lunch in-between activities, I hope you have a nice trip.

Also, if you are really paranoid, I believe there is a computer station you can pay for by the half-hour and get a wired connection (just not sure if it will route through the US apple store...)

15. JCCL macrumors 6502a

You don’t need a VPN. I live in Mexico you can enter US Apple.com like you always do, with your US account and US billing address. Apple.com.mx is the one you use for Mexico , but you need a mexican billing address

16. Jrd123 Suspended

See my last post as well, but I also recommend going down to Deck 5- go on the running track and head to the back of the ship at sunset. Here is a nice photo from our trip right at the back-most end of the ship. (Pardon the quality, the image site I posted to killed it) https://s1.postimg.org/1l19g94dtr/13_AF196_F-_A05_E-429_E-_BE1_A-6_D8_B2028038_F.jpg

17. iKrl macrumors regular

Wow you escalated things pretty quickly. Apple's website doesn't care where you are or where you want it to think you are. Only your credit card's billing address and the shipping address matter.