Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brbttyl

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
London
In past years I've noticed my ability to preorder quickly depends entirely on Apple's servers. Usually they are overloaded and I can't get through until 12:20 or even 12:30. I will probably be using the app tomorrow as I am IUP and I guess required to, but has anybody tried using different servers to improve access? If I recall correctly last year I was able to place an order from my colocated server much faster than I could from home.

ssrij

Suspended
Dec 16, 2016
United Kingdom
In past years I've noticed my ability to preorder quickly depends entirely on Apple's servers. Usually they are overloaded and I can't get through until 12:20 or even 12:30. I will probably be using the app tomorrow as I am IUP and I guess required to, but has anybody tried using different servers to improve access? If I recall correctly last year I was able to place an order from my colocated server much faster than I could from home.

I dont think you can choose servers...

Reactions: SHKLMRE

brbttyl

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
London
That's not what I mean. You can access the site from different servers to improve latency.

ssrij

Suspended
Dec 16, 2016
United Kingdom
That's not what I mean. You can access the site from different servers to improve latency.

How do you 'access the site from different servers'? How do you even choose which server you connect to? Unless you're using a VPN, but in that case, you'll be connecting to a different country.

brbttyl

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
London
Well I guess you would need to know how to do that. I have access to a dozen different servers, many connected to the backbone of the internet. They can load webpages 100s of times faster than a home connection. I can connect to them with a VPN, an SSH tunnel, a VNC session, etc.

Reactions: riverfreak

ssrij

Suspended
Dec 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Well I guess you would need to know how to do that. I have access to a dozen different servers, many connected to the backbone of the internet. They can load webpages 100s of times faster than a home connection. I can connect to them with a VPN, an SSH tunnel, a VNC session, etc.

Makes no sense. The speed at which packets of data is transmitted between a "server" and your computer/laptop/whatever device depends on your internet speed. How can you load webpages '100s of times faster' by connecting to a different Apple server (I believe you're referring to an edge server aka CDN and not the origin server), if you're limited by the speed of your internet connection? I am not even sure what you're talking about here.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The sever is and always has been in Cupertino, California.

Can you please source this? The very nature of the internet makes it so that we can at most make a guess about the physical location(s) of the servers.

brbttyl

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
London
Makes no sense. The speed at which packets of data is transmitted between a "server" and your computer/laptop/whatever device depends on your internet speed. How can you load webpages '100s of times faster' by connecting to a different Apple server (I believe you're referring to an edge server aka CDN and not the origin server), if you're limited by the speed of your internet connection? I am not even sure what you're talking about here.

Guys, seriously. What I am saying is connect to apple.com from a colocated server VS a home connection. What is confusing about that.
[doublepost=1509071584][/doublepost]Let me try this again. Last year, while I was trying to access store.apple.com from my home internet connection, and was effectively shut out, I also opened up an VNC session on my colocated server, and from there was able to load the site no problem. I was just asking if anyone out there has had a similar experience, using different access points to achieve better results on preorder day.

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
Guys, seriously. What I am saying is connect to apple.com from a colocated server VS a home connection. What is confusing about that.
[doublepost=1509071584][/doublepost]Let me try this again. Last year, while I was trying to access store.apple.com from my home internet connection, and was effectively shut out, I also opened up an VNC session on my colocated server, and from there was able to load the site no problem. I was just asking if anyone out there has had a similar experience, using different access points to achieve better results on preorder day.
...you realize this will have absolutely no impact on your ability to secure a device for pre-order, right?

brbttyl

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
London
...you realize this will have absolutely no impact on your ability to secure a device for pre-order, right?

What is your reasoning here exactly? If one machine can access the site and another one can't, I'd say I have an excellent advantage. The issue for me is, I am an IUP user and I think I'm forced to use the app.

ssrij

Suspended
Dec 16, 2016
United Kingdom

Alright, and no I haven't tried doing that, as I don't own such a server. I will just try connecting to the website and try using the Apple Store app and hopefully I'll be able to connect in time and place the order.

Not sure how using a colocated server helps here (how is it able to connect to store.apple.com when others can't?), but if that worked for you last year, then it may work this year as well.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
It's well known, I don't have a source for the sky being blue either. Just do a traceroute, you will see that your packets end up in Cupertino.

ssrij

Suspended
Dec 16, 2016
United Kingdom
I am well aware of Apple's data centers that are located around the world. I was asking Juan007 to source his claim that "The sever is and always has been in Cupertino, California."

https://censys.io/ipv4?q=(store.apple.com)+AND+autonomous_system.description.raw:+"APPLE-ENGINEERING+-+Apple+Inc.,+US"&collection=

Here, as you can see, the data centre in Cupertino manages store.apple.com

https://censys.io/ipv4?q=store.apple.com

You can see all the servers behind store.apple.com. For example, Akamai CDN servers for store.apple.com are US are located in Cambridge, Colorado, California, etc. For Europe, it's Germany, Netherlands and UK.

Reactions: jgelin

BlueKhufu

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
Alright, and no I haven't tried doing that, as I don't own such a server. I will just try connecting to the website and try using the Apple Store app and hopefully I'll be able to connect in time and place the order.

Not sure how using a colocated server helps here (how is it able to connect to store.apple.com when others can't?), but if that worked for you last year, then it may work this year as well.
The thinking (for me) is that bottlenecks will happen along the hops enroute to the stores servers. People closer will not have as many hops and less of a chance of the added delay. If you can vpn to a location closer to the Apple server there might be less of a chance of running into that bottleneck I suppose. It makes sense but I honestly don’t know if vpn traffic truly is a straight shot to the end server or if that tunneled traffic will still take all the same hops to the end and then to Apple. Clarification on vpn would be helpful right now. I’ve got some good fast vpn access in NorCal but don’t know if it’s worth it. I’ll have one pc using one, one using another in another destination close by, and one going bare from houston. If I have better luck getting through from the vpn I’ll report back for future reference but it’s just a hunch and experiment for me at this point.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Hint...if you have a chromebook....there is a chance you may get in faster for your preorder . Last year, i ordered the 7 plus for my gf that way and it worked. Not many people use chromebooks....maybe it's just a hoax but some of you guys with Chromebooks should try it.

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
Hint...if you have a chromebook....there is a chance you may get in faster for your preorder . Last year, i ordered the 7 plus for my gf that way and it worked. Not many people use chromebooks....maybe it's just a hoax but some of you guys with Chromebooks should try it.
Those poor folks using a Chromebook do deserve some kind of break... :)

Reactions: mcdj

brbttyl

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
London
The thinking (for me) is that bottlenecks will happen along the hops enroute to the stores servers. People closer will not have as many hops and less of a chance of the added delay. If you can vpn to a location closer to the Apple server there might be less of a chance of running into that bottleneck I suppose. It makes sense but I honestly don’t know if vpn traffic truly is a straight shot to the end server or if that tunneled traffic will still take all the same hops to the end and then to Apple. Clarification on vpn would be helpful right now. I’ve got some good fast vpn access in NorCal but don’t know if it’s worth it. I’ll have one pc using one, one using another in another destination close by, and one going bare from houston. If I have better luck getting through from the vpn I’ll report back for future reference but it’s just a hunch and experiment for me at this point.

Thank you for being the only person in this thread who has any clue what I'm talking about.
[doublepost=1509074879][/doublepost]

Also works if you stand on one leg and smear your head with peanut butter...

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
What you talk about makes no sense, the latency of having to hop to the VPN from your location then the Apple server already puts you behind.

Just be like everyone else and preorder like everyone else does. It'll be faster that way in comparison. :)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
https://censys.io/ipv4?q=(store.apple.com)+AND+autonomous_system.description.raw:+"APPLE-ENGINEERING+-+Apple+Inc.,+US"&collection=

Here, as you can see, the data centre in Cupertino manages store.apple.com

https://censys.io/ipv4?q=store.apple.com

You can see all the servers behind store.apple.com. For example, Akamai CDN servers for store.apple.com are US are located in Cambridge, Colorado, California, etc. For Europe, it's Germany, Netherlands and UK.

Those links show that the physical servers, if the geo IP data can be properly verified from that site, for the online Apple Store are located and mirrored on a global level.

BlueKhufu

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
What you talk about makes no sense, the latency of having to hop to the VPN from your location then the Apple server already puts you behind.

Just be like everyone else and preorder like everyone else does. It'll be faster that way in comparison. :)
Well I know that’s not true as I can vpn to locations near game servers and improve latency.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.