iPhone X iPhone X Qi charging while face down?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RonFromOregon, Nov 3, 2017.

1. RonFromOregon macrumors member

Can somebody test this -- will your new iPhone X charge while face down on a Qi charging pad?

2. iPhone_X macrumors member

iPhone_X

Is there a reason you need this? I was wondering if it's because you want to hide the notifications. Supposedly you can't view the details of a notification until you make eye contact with the phone.

3. ninjahaiku macrumors newbie

ninjahaiku

Just tried that, and no it doesn't work.

4. RonFromOregon thread starter macrumors member

ninjahaiku - thanks for testing.
    iPhone_X - I was hoping to place the X on my nightstand face down on a Qi pad at night. When face up, if notifications come in the screen turns on and the light sometimes wakes me up. I don't want the hassle of activating Do Not Distrurb because I sometimes forget to turn it off. Looks like I'll be charging with a lightning cable after all.

5. BeefSupreme macrumors regular

Itf its that much of a problem, put the phone face down and slap the charging pad on top of it lol

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

7. Jjayf macrumors 6502

You can set a schedule for DND.. I use it when I'm on night shift. You can even set so that important contacts can still get through. Like in an emergency.

8. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

So you've gone to the trouble of setting notifications to not make a sound or vibrate (otherwise a screen waking you up would be the least of your problems) but you can't be bothered to enable and disable the sleep function?

9. bigjeep127 macrumors member

I use the sleep cycle app which requires the phone to be placed face down. I really wish sleep cycle would change this now that iPhones have wireless charging.

10. Armendegga macrumors 6502

Ha, I was just coming to comment on that app specifically.

I am sure they will release an update that will just turn off the display when the alarm is active.

11. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I thought you were able to place Do Not Disturb on a schedule I have the night view on a schedule. Turns on at 11pm and turns off at 6am.

12. RonFromOregon thread starter macrumors member

I just flip the hardware Mute switch to vibrate, and it doesn't wake me up because I place my phone on a soft surface and I usually have a white-noise sound machine running.

Yes. Why is that hard to believe?

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I am sorry but it is hard to believe, but all people are different.

I run the HD TV all night and sleep very well. It is my "white noise"

14. protobiont macrumors 6502a

15. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

I feel that Apple missed an opportunity to take advantage of the OLED screen in the new iPhone. Why didn't they add an ambient display like you see on some Android devices? Example:
    [​IMG]

Doubtful that'd wake you up.

16. orev macrumors 6502

You'd still need to use the wire charger for this anyway. How would you arrange the Qi charging pad on your mattress? It would be more bulky and awkward than simply having the cable plugged in.

It's really pretty ridiculous you're arguing this. Yes, having lights on during sleep does affect many people, and that's not at all unusual. I suspect your TV on all night is probably affecting you in some way, though you may not notice or be aware of it.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I was not aware that I was arguing, even after going back and reading.

Try to be calm as other people have opinions, too! I did say all people are different!

I am sure my TV has warped my mind and body because I have been doing it all my life!

18. orev, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017

orev macrumors 6502

Here are the quotes of you arguing:

OP makes a statement, and your response is to be skeptical that it's happening, after the OP already told you it's happening. That's an argument.

Once again you try to refute the situation because you find it "hard to believe", after OP has yet again told you that yes, this is happening. Another argument after already being told twice that its happening.

Even just the assertion that lights shouldn't or don't bother people when sleeping shows such a lack of basic understanding on the topic, that in itself would be considered an argument. Being part of a discussion in a community involves trying to understand other people's situations, not simply saying that because it's not a problem for you that the problem doesn't exist at all.

19. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Ditto here - they need to fix this. I don't even understand why the phone needs to be face down anyway for the app to work properly. Never thought to try it with the screen facing up.

20. w4rmk macrumors regular

w4rmk

Doesn't charge face-down and I tried it with 2 different Qi pads, including the TYLT which has 3 coils.

21. Jigga macrumors 6502

Thanks for posting this thread. I've been wondering the same thing!

22. orev macrumors 6502

Qi needs direct contact with the charging coil (within 0.5cm) and cannot have any other metal in the way. All the other components inside the phone would block the signal if you try to charge it upside down. A metal magnetic mounting disc will also block it, and even a thick case could cause problems.

23. protobiont macrumors 6502a

sleep cycle will still work with the screen turned off.

https://support.sleepcycle.com/hc/e...Will-Sleep-Cycle-work-with-the-screen-locked-
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2017 ---
    Sleep cycle can use the microphone. Does not need to be placed on a mattress.

https://support.sleepcycle.com/hc/en-us/articles/208030925-Microphone-why-is-it-recommended-

24. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Yes, I know - that is how I use the app every night; however, what I don’t know is if the app will work properly if you place the phone on your nightstand with the screen facing UP, as the instructions say to place the phone on your night stand with the screen facing DOWN.

25. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

Have you tried setting a schedule for Do Not Disturb?