Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexSykes

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
East Midlands, UK
I got my iPhone X yesterday, and mainly I'm happy with the phone. The only issue I have which is pretty much a killer with the phone is it randomly shuts down and restarts.

I can use it normally for a while but then it seems to go unstable, the screen shuts down, and then after a few seconds the Apple logo appears, then it'll go black and then reappear and after a minute or so will be on the lock screen and then prompt me to enter my passcode after iPhone restarts when trying to unlock or use Face ID. With my iPhone 7 I had the very rare reboot but it didn't require me to enter my passcode every time. Restoring the phone doesn't seem to resolve it either.

This seems to happen at random, but a lot of the time it's if you're interacting with it in some way, such as opening the camera and changing to video, using Siri, swiping out of the music app, it's as if anything intensive is causing the phone to panic and then shut itself down.

Anyone else having any similar issues to this or might I just have a defective unit? (Just my luck!)

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give

M33-1

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Definitely return. Mine has been flawless with not one crash, stall, or restart. You shouldn’t have to put up with that.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nope, mine has been rock solid (knocks on wood) - Sadly, you will have to return it.

AlexSykes

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
East Midlands, UK
Thanks everyone! I was just wondering if anyone located any apps that might be causing it, but it does seem odd it just does it at random though whilst interacting with it, so I think something must be messed up on the hardware side.

I'm glad to hear everyone else is enjoying the phone though, makes me look forward to having a reliable unit.

Apart from the crashing a majority of the time I've been really enjoying it, the new design and form factor coming from a Plus is nice, and I don't feel like I'm missing out on screen size too much (apart from apps that aren't updated yet which obviously feel a lot smaller than on the Plus!) and the OLED screen make a big difference. Gestures are pretty easy to get along with and adapt to already.

I'll get in touch with Apple and see what's the best way of sorting it as quick as possible, thanks guys!

AlexSykes

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
East Midlands, UK
Just an update, I contacted Apple and they already arranged to fit me in today about 3 hours after I contacted them. Took it in, they swapped it there and then with a new one, this one has gone so far 6-7 hours without even freezing, hanging or rebooting and it’s a joy to use, whereas the other one was rebooting pretty much straight from the start. Must’ve been some hardware issue with the other one but now I have a fully working one I’m loving this phone!

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Mtnrunner

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2017
I got my iPhone X yesterday, and mainly I'm happy with the phone. The only issue I have which is pretty much a killer with the phone is it randomly shuts down and restarts.

I can use it normally for a while but then it seems to go unstable, the screen shuts down, and then after a few seconds the Apple logo appears, then it'll go black and then reappear and after a minute or so will be on the lock screen and then prompt me to enter my passcode after iPhone restarts when trying to unlock or use Face ID. With my iPhone 7 I had the very rare reboot but it didn't require me to enter my passcode every time. Restoring the phone doesn't seem to resolve it either.

This seems to happen at random, but a lot of the time it's if you're interacting with it in some way, such as opening the camera and changing to video, using Siri, swiping out of the music app, it's as if anything intensive is causing the phone to panic and then shut itself down.

Anyone else having any similar issues to this or might I just have a defective unit? (Just my luck!)

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give
I've had my X since Tuesday and on day two I've seen the exact same behavior your describe. Twice now.

It didn't start till after two events: Installed a very difficult to install case, the Otterbox, and put it on a Qi charging pad. Not that they are related but just saying. Also, wondering if you restored your X from a previous backup or set it up as a new iPhone? I did the former and always have wondered if that's a good idea but it's been flawless in the past.

I'll call Apple today to arrange a swap, PITA, but at $1150 this thing needs to work all the fn time! And me too, love the phone

AlexSykes

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
East Midlands, UK
I've had my X since Tuesday and on day two I've seen the exact same behavior your describe. Twice now.

It didn't start till after two events: Installed a very difficult to install case, the Otterbox, and put it on a Qi charging pad. Not that they are related but just saying. Also, wondering if you restored your X from a previous backup or set it up as a new iPhone? I did the former and always have wondered if that's a good idea but it's been flawless in the past.

I'll call Apple today to arrange a swap, PITA, but at $1150 this thing needs to work all the fn time! And me too, love the phone

With the original one I tried everything and it just kept doing it, even when it was set up as a new iPhone. I told Apple that and they could see I had done that and restored the firmware as well and said the best bet would be to change it for another and see how that goes, and it’s definitely been the right decision.

With this one I took the jump and tried restoring from my previous backup of the faulty iPhone X (which took ages because that one kept rebooting during backing up!) and this one has been flawless now since I got it. I’d say this is the best iPhone I’ve ever had since the original iPhone. I’m really impressed with it and I still have my iPhone 7 Plus and it’s so weird how strange and bulky that feels now I’ve gotten used to the X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.