iPhone X iPhone X scratched out of the box

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by crawltochina, Nov 21, 2017.

1. crawltochina macrumors regular

As the title says I received my second iPhone X with a small dent in the metal frame. The first one had a dent in the frame in the back of the phone. The new one has a little dent on the left side on the front of the phone. Am I the only one with such bad luck? The device is 1300€ in Germany and it came damaged out of the box in two of three orders. The third had a speck of dust in the camera.
    What is wrong with Apple? Has anyone else having received a damaged iPhone X?

2. BasicGreatGuy, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Return it to Apple and get a new one. And no, you aren't the first to ever have that type of problem. Many people have over the years. When products are massed produced in the millions, accidents happen. Not a big deal.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I agree that's unfortunate luck. But Apple is the type of company that will stand behind their product and make it right until you receive a new unit.

4. crawltochina thread starter macrumors regular

Well, it IS a big deal. I have had 3 devices for each 1300€ and every single one has production flaws. This is a shame. Maybe Apple should pay their peasants more if they charge us big time. I hate the hassle of returning etc.

5. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502a

Dirtydutch

That really is why I always buy direct from them...When it comes to exchanges and returns they are very patient and usually won't leave you without receiving a unit that is up to your standards.

6. TheBrokenBee macrumors 6502

TheBrokenBee

That's a really rude thing to say. I understand that you want what you paid for but jesus dude, chill.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

We get it. You have had three defective devices and it happened to you unfortunately. You might hate the hassle to return it, but be fortunate Apple is a highly reputable when it comes to replacing your device without question. Some companies are not as reputable when it comes to their customer service.

8. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

When you are perfect in everything you do, get back to us with your unacceptable feelings with the Apple "peasants."

9. the future macrumors 65816

Also, pictures or it didn‘t happen. It‘s always suspicious when the overall number of defects is small (in relation to millions of sales) but one individual claims to have had 3 in a row ...

10. Sean76 macrumors 6502a

Sean76

Lol I understand the guys frustration. No reason to mock him. Honestly Apple should have quality control up to higher levels, but this is an issue every year with new products and you will always have people that will say mine is fine, so it's not that big a deal, bring it back and exchange it and stop complaining.

Not so easy to do right now my friend with supplies at a very tight rate. So I get the guys frustration 100% of having to deal with a 3 time issue.

11. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I understand the frustration as well.

In the grand scheme of life, a cosmetic problem with a new phone shouldn't even register on the meaningful scale, in my opinion. Apple has an excellent customer service track record. The apparent "peasant" lover should not worry.

In my opinion, the OP deserved what I wrote.

12. waquzy macrumors 6502a

waquzy

Agreed, show us the pics, not that we don't believe you, but we would all like to see these defects

13. theheadguy macrumors 65816

Why should someone who pays 1300 euro be fortunate to get a working device? There are laws requiring this.

14. Relentless Power, Nov 21, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You're not understanding. Apple can't guarantee it will be a perfectly working device for any iPhone that's mass produced into the millions, it is however, fortunate to the consumer Apple has the customer service that will back the product to ensure that the situation will be rectified regardless, when some companies are not nearly as reputable to ensure their own return or repair policies, or have tendencies to not 'acknowledge' them.

When You purchase an Apple product, you're not purchasing just the product, you're purchasing the service. That's part of paying a premium with Apple products.

15. sartrekid macrumors 6502a

Wow. This is despicable.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

How about looking at it before you leave the store.

17. crawltochina, Nov 21, 2017

crawltochina thread starter macrumors regular

I will show pics as soon as my wife ends her Netflix binge watching on our iPad .

You misunderstood my "peasants"-comment. I wasn't speaking bad about the people at Foxconn. We all know they work hard. I simply cannot understand why Apple charges so much more than other companies but delivers a QC which is underwhelming. For these prices one can expect production environments that are perfect, in a country which does not harvest their human resources for the minimum wage.

I want iOS and I am willing to pay premium, but Apple should also pay premium to the people who build the phone and give them a premium work environment. Three poorly built phones at that price range is a shame.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 21, 2017 ---
    I ordered online. Apple Store is too far away. Opening the box that check everything's ok simply should not be necessary.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

With you luck, I would say it IS necessary.

19. Black Tiger macrumors 6502

I agree with you. But I shudder to think what Apple products would cost if Apple didn’t exploit cheap labour...

20. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

That sucks. I've never had an issue with an iPhone screen. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe I'm blind.

21. Tom G. macrumors 68020

Tom G.

Crawltochina wrote:
    “I simply cannot understand why Apple charges so much more than other companies but delivers a QC which is underwhelming. For these prices one can expect production environments that are perfect, in a country which does not harvest their human resources for the minimum wage.”

Perfection does not exist, anywhere, at anytime. It is absolutely wrong to expect it with any product at all. Rolls Royce automobiles are not perfect, they have imperfections that one would have hunt for, but if you are aggressive enough you can find them. To expect perfection and to complain about its absence shows ones own imperfections. Apple has set up one of the best returns policy that you will find with any large manufacturer on the planet, and they have done it because they recognize their imperfections.

Since you have gotten 3 imperfect units, if I were you, I would examine what I have done recently and see why I’m having such imperfect Karma at the moment. :)

22. TravisPNW macrumors 6502a

TravisPNW

I wouldn't doubt it and I haven't seen any pictures.

Some people just go way overboard. There's a thread floating around here from last week from a guy claiming he was on his 5th iPhone X because of some spec of dirt/dust in/around the camera lens?

It can't been seen with the naked eye... but if you contact NASA they'll focus the Hubble Space Telescope in on it... and spot the defect with ease!

ZOMG return it to Apple till it's right!

:rolleyes:

23. Bootleg Gucci, Nov 21, 2017

Bootleg Gucci macrumors 6502

Bootleg Gucci

Ironic how OP is concerned about dents in an iPhone, but S. Jobs was concerned about putting a Dent in the Universe :D

Yes, I was a little disappointed when taking delivery of my custom built $67K BMW because the panels didn’t have perfectly aligned gaps (like our prior Lexus), but I got over it quickly after driving it’s 400hp.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What's weird with these stories is they never post a picture of such claims of dents and scratches.
    I never had a single scratch or nick on any of my brand new bought iphones and the OP got 3 damaged brand new iphones?
    Weird...

25. bearington macrumors member

bearington

Not the OP, but I've had two iPhone 8s with dents so far. I took a photo of one of the phones - shows 3 tiny dents along the top, above the flash.

[​IMG]