Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
My point was that AAPL is cheap by any measure. Revenues and EPS aren't shrinking. They guided for their biggest Q ever. There can be good discussions on stocks and their valuations, but AAPL would be one near the bottom of the list.

I addressed this in my previous post, including the misguided obsession with PE ratios. The company by most objective measures is reasonably valued. It is not "cheap," and it is most certainly not "cheap by any measure." Multiples such as Price to FCF, FCF/EV, EBITDA/EV, and Price to Book are actually pretty middle of the pack. I can even give you numerical ranks on those relative to all US equities if you want them.

Or (C) a helluva lot of luck. I had that when I guessed right on AAPL 20 years ago. I'll never do that again and I won't even try. The only way luck makes you smarter is to recognize when you've been lucky.
This x1000. There's a fantastic book called Fooled by Randomness by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. I think it should be mandatory reading for, well, everyone, but especially investors. People don't understand concepts like uncertainty and risk (which are two different things), and they certainly don't recognize them when they see them. Noise gets mistaken for signal, leading to overconfidence bias.

This is why really smart people recognize how many ways they aren't smart. To quote an old boss of mine, they know what they don't know. That self-awareness is key, in investing and in life.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
I addressed this in my previous post, including the misguided obsession with PE ratios. The company by most objective measures is reasonably valued. It is not "cheap," and it is most certainly not "cheap by any measure." Multiples such as Price to FCF, FCF/EV, EBITDA/EV, and Price to Book are actually pretty middle of the pack. I can even give you numerical ranks on those relative to all US equities if you want them.

This x1000. There's a fantastic book called Fooled by Randomness by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. I think it should be mandatory reading for, well, everyone, but especially investors. People don't understand concepts like uncertainty and risk (which are two different things), and they certainly don't recognize them when they see them. Noise gets mistaken for signal, leading to overconfidence bias.

This is why really smart people recognize how many ways they aren't smart. To quote an old boss of mine, they know what they don't know. That self-awareness is key, in investing and in life.
I've read it. Over 75% of my net worth is in index funds, not individual stocks. Stock picking is literally impossible, no disagreement there.

Apple is one of my stocks in my "trading" portfolio that is almost entirely for fun. Of course, I want to make money, but I let my retirement, IRAs, and rollover accounts track the S&P 500.

I have 0 obsession with P/E ratios and know exactly what they mean. All the other metrics you listed have merits and I'm familiar with those too. FCF has its own issues as items like R&D can detract from the numbers, but not tell you the company is still more profitable.

There is no one metric that defines stock valuations, which is what makes this so fun!

Apple is quality, no question about that. Whether you think it's cheap or not is your prerogative, but it's certainly not expensive by any measure, particularly with interest rates and other stock valuations. As Buffett says, the 10 year is trading at 40X earnings and stocks are the only game in town for the moment.

The most bearish indicator for me is that GS said the S&P is going to 2,900 in 2018.
[doublepost=1511461547][/doublepost]
Fully understanding that PE is a trailing indicator, I'm going to stick by my story that high multiples are a prediction by investors of accelerating future earnings growth. That is actually were PEG comes in, though one can argue that PEG isn't exactly solid indicator of whether a multiple has gotten ahead of earnings growth. These are just a couple of the indicators to consider if you're buying individual stocks (which, full disclosure, I no longer do).

Where PE truly sucks as a predictor is when the PE for one company is compared to a sector or the markets overall to support a conclusion that a stock is either over or under-valued. It should go without saying (though apparently it can't be said often enough) that every company is a different earnings story. For one example, AMZN posts a sky-high multiple because they are growing the top line like crazy but using those earnings to capitalize like few companies in history. Apple salts away those earnings in sacks stored in the subbasement of Fort Cook. Totally different story.
[doublepost=1511454980][/doublepost]

Mine is, shortages at introduction and persisting for a few weeks afterwards are so routine we should be totally accustomed to it. In the end Apple has to bring supply and demand into balance, but this rarely occurs at the beginning of the product run.
Amazon spends the most in R&D, no argument there...I think around $15b this year...but AAPL doesn't simply hoard its cash. Apple spent around $11B on R&D. They are just so much more profitable, a lot of their earnings are (smartly) tucked away in their ever expanding moat. Cash makes a company resilient to market changes, downturns in economy, and other factors. I think Bezos maybe the best CEO in the world and AMZN is an amazing company, but Apple does their share of spending.
[doublepost=1511461848][/doublepost]
This is the first time I've seen an iPhone become so easy to get .

And I hope it's price, for all of us , cause if sales are down, Cook will lower the price. It's a win for the customer.

It would be a great lesson for Cook that while people really like apple, £1350 for a phone is getting silly.
[doublepost=1511418019][/doublepost]

You forgot the other golden excuse , Tim Cook is a supply guru.
[doublepost=1511418329][/doublepost]

Do you have any proof of this ? Which could be very well true, as it did launch in September. Let's remember , x is November
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-business-day-for-16-and-64gb-models.1830304/
It may have launched November, but they were building it since September. That's why I believe they are able to reduce shipping times to 1-2 weeks now. I believe the launch time was truly strategic, to build hype, and let the iPhone 8 satisfy those customers. Then a new wave with X. I believe Apple is brilliant using this strategy.

Last edited:

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
It may have launched November, but they were building it since September. That's why I believe they are able to reduce shipping times to 1-2 weeks now. I believe the launch time was truly strategic, to build hype, and let the iPhone 8 satisfy those customers. Then a new wave with X. I believe Apple is brilliant using this strategy.

Definitely.

I would arguably say the defining Apple trait would be their marketing (including supply chain mgmt) and branding. If/when the 2 facets stop conforming to the masses is when you may see a (temporary?) dip.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Nonsense post...you're not even trying to make reasonable points. You're just saying "good luck" when AAPL is at an all time high and every product is firing on all cylinders. When the facts change, I'll change. Right now, you're just a hater/bear if you are betting against Apple or trying to say they are doing anything but incredibly well.

All I can say here is you are failing to pay attention. As I've said already, I've been in AAPL for over 20 years now, which I suspect is far more experience with the stock than probably anyone on these boards can represent. And yet with all this experience, I can safely say that I don't know a damned thing for certain. I don't pretend to know whether this or any other stock is over valued or undervalued. I credit myself with one very lucky guess, and I fully understand that it was a guess. If you want to guess without the humility to know you are guessing, then luck is definitely what you will need.
[doublepost=1511464592][/doublepost]
Amazon spends the most in R&D, no argument there...I think around $15b this year...but AAPL doesn't simply hoard its cash. Apple spent around $11B on R&D. They are just so much more profitable, a lot of their earnings are (smartly) tucked away in their ever expanding moat. Cash makes a company resilient to market changes, downturns in economy, and other factors. I think Bezos maybe the best CEO in the world and AMZN is an amazing company, but Apple does their share of spending.

The name of the game is capitalism. Earnings are most efficiently used when they drive growth, not socked away as a "moat" against bad times. If you want to find out just how much the markets hate that concept, just wait until Apple has to use that moat.

Last edited:
Reactions: john123

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
I'd honestly like to know the specific stocks you see as "much better" value plays? Apple is cheap by any measure, particularly ex-cash.
I hope you'll understand, but I'd rather not take the intellectual property I work very hard to produce and just give it out. What I will tell you is that I build quantitative models to create long-short portfolios, and valuation is one of the inputs to those models. The universe of investable and (relatively) liquid US equities is quite large, starting with the Russell 3000 and then some beyond that. I rank order all equities, both absolutely and within their industries and sectors, according to each metric.

You can relatively easily reproduce this much yourself, and you'll find the inescapable conclusion that you really can't call Apple "cheap." Pick maybe a half dozen valuation metrics. Make them somewhat diverse, and it honestly won't even matter which ones you pick. Weight them evenly, or skew them a little one way or another. That won't affect things either. Then randomly pick, say, 20 companies from the Russell 3000 over whatever arbitrary time period you want. Find out how those companies rank (this may be trickier for an outsider to do). Compute your average.

Now do it for Apple. You'll find it in the middle of the pack. Which is exactly what you should find in an efficient market with the most covered company in the world.

I am long all stocks because I will always be right in the end. There are other wonderful companies which I own, but AAPL can make the case they are the best company in the world.
We could argue about the "best company in the world" bit. (I don't even necessarily disagree with this. I haven't given that question any thought.) But the best company is not necessarily the best investment.

The "jury is out" on literally every company. If you wait until the end of time, they might all be bankrupt, merged, or acquired.
This is a straw man argument since I said we should wait until the next earnings release, which is significantly before the end of time.

The point is, with what we know today, AAPL is cheap and they guided for their best quarter ever. I also think they will sell the most iPhones ever in FQ1. They won't break out mix, but would you like to take that internet bet? Bragging rights. Deal? Or maybe you also agree they'll post the most iPhone sales ever in a quarter?

I mean, sure we could do a bet for kicks, but the truth is I have no idea. The answer—and more importantly the explanation, and whether to call it a "success"—will depend on a lot of factors including several that are entirely external to Apple. Consider:
  • What's the price elasticity of demand look like (a huge question for the X)?
  • What does consumer confidence look like, and how is that translating to holiday discretionary spending? (This speaks to the success of the device relative to an appropriate baseline).
  • What does the competition do? (Is the X "successful" relative to its peers?)
  • What percent of sales are generated by the almost-automatic upgrades that more and more people have already bought into with monthly payment plans with Apple or their carrier—a relatively new but growing phenomenon that "locks in" a lot upgrades even if a new device is underwhelming?

In short, there are lots of factors and even more possible explanations behind them. And regardless of what happens, people can and will argue until the cows come home about those possible explanations.

As I said to another poster, I think a reasonable hypothesis is that we will see a YOY decline in units sold but a significant increase in revenue and gross profit. Would I be surprised if we see a YOY increase in units sold though? Not one bit.

Nonsense post...you're not even trying to make reasonable points. You're just saying "good luck" when AAPL is at an all time high and every product is firing on all cylinders. When the facts change, I'll change. Right now, you're just a hater/bear if you are betting against Apple or trying to say they are doing anything but incredibly well.
I think you misunderstood him. He wasn't being a "hater." He was talking about investors being lucky, not Apple itself.

Also, you've glossed over a crucial point I previously made about the overall market and comparable companies. Properly analyzing a stock's returns requires subtracting out the risk-adjusted return of the market at a minimum (and typically other factors--see the Fama-French research) and only then looking at the residual. You can't just say "all time high" and regard that as some measure of great success.

Further, over the last two years, you can find plenty of other names that have matched or even beaten Apple. A couple of the large caps are AMZN and MSFT. And the story is worse when you look at the full slate of investable US equities. Despite those returns that look so good to you, did you know that Apple isn't even in the top third of equities with respect to price appreciation over the last half year?

I've read it. Over 75% of my net worth is in index funds, not individual stocks. Stock picking is literally impossible, no disagreement there.
I wouldn't say literally impossible. There are hedge fund managers who have done it year-in year-out for a couple decades. Probabilistically, we can say it's nearly impossible that can be attributed to luck. My long-short portfolio has been nothing short of amazing over the last several years (not even taking into account the bull market, which should cause me to underperform), but I'm smart enough that I know I cannot definitely attribute X% to skill and (100-X)% to luck.

I have 0 obsession with P/E ratios and know exactly what they mean. All the other metrics you listed have merits and I'm familiar with those too. FCF has its own issues as items like R&D can detract from the numbers, but not tell you the company is still more profitable.

There is no one metric that defines stock valuations, which is what makes this so fun!
If you aren't fixated on PE ratios, then I'm curious what exact metrics led you to your original premise.

Yes, there isn't one metric, which is why I cited several...and across most, Apple is in the middle of the pack. That's very much at odds with your claim that Apple is "cheap by any measure."

Apple is quality, no question about that. Whether you think it's cheap or not is your prerogative, but it's certainly not expensive by any measure, particularly with interest rates and other stock valuations. As Buffett says, the 10 year is trading at 40X earnings and stocks are the only game in town for the moment.
It isn't prerogative. It's numbers. "Certainly not expensive" isn't the same thing as "cheap."

I think you're making the mistake of comparing Apple to a handful of other big name growth plays rather than the entire pool of equities. That easily could lead you to the incorrect conclusion that Apple is cheap. But unless you are managing a very large fund or investing substantially in one or more very large funds, a much larger pool of equities is at your disposal. Liquidity concerns become less of an issue as AUM shrinks.

justint1989

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2017
Technically it’s an overseas possession and not insular territory. It’s always been treated as a “separate” market from the US mainland.
[doublepost=1511392449][/doublepost]
Nah, the same happened with the 5s, the 6, the 6s, and 7. Remember this year there were 3 new phones released, not just 2.
Exactly. I worked for Sprint at the time fo the 6s and 7 launches. Backorders on them until right around Black Friday. Then magical stock appeared speci
By the way, iPhone 6 (The most iPhones ever sold by Apple) was at 1 day shipping well before Christmas.
[doublepost=1511416521][/doublepost]
They were fake news, like all Apple doom articles.

Every negative article on iPhone production ever has been proven wrong.

$175/share.

The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus came out in September, giving it over a month and and a week more time than the X.
Naturally it goes without saying shipping times eased around the first week of December. Does anyone actually bother to look?

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Literally with the first iPhone in 2007. $200 2 months later.

Damn I stand corrected. But that was with Steve Jobs doing that and 10yrs ago along with holiday shopping season to spur demand. Apple has enough demand supposedly with the X and holiday season is already upon us. June launch of 2007 with July August to pass leaves us just about no hope of Tim Cook and the board doing his again.

Mr. Jobs said the cuts were precipitated by a desire to build demand aggressively for the product in the coming holiday shopping season. Analysts, however, wondered if it was indicative of sagging demand for the expensive phone. [\QUOTE]
Source:https://mobile.nytimes.com/2007/09/07/technology/07apple.html

Original press release September 5, 2017 by Apple

Apple Sets iPhone Price at $399 for this Holiday Season

SAN FRANCISCO—September 5, 2007—Apple® today announced that it is on track to sell its one millionth iPhone™ before the end of September, and to make iPhone affordable for even more customers this holiday season, it is lowering the price of the most popular iPhone model with 8GB of storage from $599 to just $399.

"The surveys are in and iPhone customer satisfaction scores are higher than we've ever seen for any Apple product," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "We've clearly got a breakthrough product and we want to make it affordable for even more customers as we enter this holiday season."

The 8GB iPhone is available immediately for $399 in the US through Apple's retail and online stores and AT&T retail stores. The iPhone 4GB model will be sold while supplies last.

This press release contains a forward-looking statement about the Company's expected iPhone sales that involves risks and uncertainties, and actual results may differ. These risks and uncertainties include those found in the Company's public reports filed with the SEC, including the Company's Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended September 30, 2006, and its Forms 10-Q for the quarters ended December 30, 2006, March 31, 2007 and June 30, 2007. The Company assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements or information, which speak as of their respective dates.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning computers, OS X operating system and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital media revolution with its iPod portable music and video players and iTunes online store, and has entered the mobile phone market this year with its revolutionary iPhone.[\QUOTE]

Mouth drops in shock Apple heck even Steve Jobs did this. I guess huge stock options where agreed by the board members if the 1 million devices in 1st year was reached.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I hope you'll understand, but I'd rather not take the intellectual property I work very hard to produce and just give it out. What I will tell you is that I build quantitative models to create long-short portfolios, and valuation is one of the inputs to those models. The universe of investable and (relatively) liquid US equities is quite large, starting with the Russell 3000 and then some beyond that. I rank order all equities, both absolutely and within their industries and sectors, according to each metric.

Not much to add to this excellent analysis, except: In investing, risks and returns are the two factors in constant tension. Higher returns require the assumption of higher risk, by definition. The easy way to understand this is, it's a cinch to make money in a bull market (just throw dart). But the other side of the coin is how your portfolio performs in down or choppy markets. That will tell you in a hurry whether your risk level is appropriate to the return you are seeking. The level of risk any investor should take on is dependent on their age and financial situation (not to mention, general tolerance for risk).

According to the ETF gurus (Fama, et. al.), returns for a given level of risk can be optimized. This theory is supported by acres of research and empirical data, the detailed understanding of which is beyond my pay grade. Yet I can easily see the general principles they've established, which is basically that investors don't need to expose themselves excessively to market volatility in order to achieve their financial objectives. No matter what mix of equities and fixed-income is selected, the investment is as broadly-based as humanly possible through mutual funds, and the selection of the components within the funds are done by mathematics, not fund managers who charge huge fees for trying to guess the future and generally do it quite badly.

Reactions: john123

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Not much to add to this excellent analysis, except: In investing, risks and returns are the two factors in constant tension. Higher returns require the assumption of higher risk, by definition. The easy way to understand this is, it's a cinch to make money in a bull market (just throw dart). But the other side of the coin is how your portfolio performs in down or choppy markets. That will tell you in a hurry whether your risk level is appropriate to the return you are seeking. The level of risk any investor should take on is dependent on their age and financial situation (not to mention, general tolerance for risk).

According to the ETF gurus (Fama, et. al.), returns for a given level of risk can be optimized. This theory is supported by acres of research and empirical data, the detailed understanding of which is beyond my pay grade. Yet I can easily see the general principles they've established, which is basically that investors don't need to expose themselves excessively to market volatility in order to achieve their financial objectives. No matter what mix of equities and fixed-income is selected, the investment is as broadly-based as humanly possible through mutual funds, and the selection of the components within the funds are done by mathematics, not fund managers who charge huge fees for trying to guess the future and generally do it quite badly.
I literally have not disagreed with most of what you and the other guy are saying, particularly in evaluating companies by different measures.

I think we have only disagreed on the conviction I have that AAPL is a cheap stock and what I call a 50 cent dollar. I believe they are th best company in the world and the stock is only recently starting to reflect that. I believe I am too bullish on AAPL to you and the other dude’s liking. That’s fine.

I have studied AAPL for years (this is a new company than 20 years ago) and my personal conclusion is that AAPL is a cheap stock, keeping me long. I feel the bearish sentiment is unfair given the actual they put up, particularly this last quarter and in their guidance.

There is psychology in investing too. Other companies might have better growth metrics, but p/e is straightforward. At the end of the day, it’s about earnings. I am comfortable holding AAPL more so than a stock like NFLX or AMZN.

I also don’t believe in stock picking, but I truly think AAPL is a unique stock in its earnings power. At Wharton, I did insane analyses and learned detailed tactics for evaluating companies. I have recently tried to keep it simple, taking more of a Buffett approach to investing.

I believe analysis paralysis can ruin your ability to execute on trades and stocks are more psychological than anything.

Stay convicted and don’t panic and you’ll make money. Change when the facts change. My finger is on the sell button the minute I feel less optimistic on AAPL. With my cost basis, I can make that decision while still very much in the money.

I’ve enjoyed debating with you and John.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I literally have not disagreed with most of what you and the other guy are saying, particularly in evaluating companies by different measures.

I think we have only disagreed on the conviction I have that AAPL is a cheap stock and what I call a 50 cent dollar. I believe they are th best company in the world and the stock is only recently starting to reflect that. I believe I am too bullish on AAPL to you and the other dude’s liking. That’s fine.

I have studied AAPL for years (this is a new company than 20 years ago) and my personal conclusion is that AAPL is a cheap stock, keeping me long. I feel the bearish sentiment is unfair given the actual they put up, particularly this last quarter and in their guidance.

There is psychology in investing too. Other companies might have better growth metrics, but p/e is straightforward. At the end of the day, it’s about earnings. I am comfortable holding AAPL more so than a stock like NFLX or AMZN.

I also don’t believe in stock picking, but I truly think AAPL is a unique stock in its earnings power. At Wharton, I did insane analyses and learned detailed tactics for evaluating companies. I have recently tried to keep it simple, taking more of a Buffett approach to investing.

I believe analysis paralysis can ruin your ability to execute on trades and stocks are more psychological than anything.

Stay convicted and don’t panic and you’ll make money. Change when the facts change. My finger is on the sell button the minute I feel less optimistic on AAPL. With my cost basis, I can make that decision while still very much in the money.

I’ve enjoyed debating with you and John.

I'm not sure where you find the "bearish sentiment." I haven't expressed any. I don't think John has either. What I think we both have said in different ways is that your method of predicting the future is less sound than you seem to believe.

As for psychology, that's a scary defense of a trading strategy. Our lizard brains are always telling us to do the wrong things. For myself, I am a seller of AAPL not because I'm bearish on AAPL (I basically give no advice to anyone on whether to be bullish or bearish) but because it makes up a ridiculously large portion of my portfolio, and that is just too risky, especially for someone who ain't a kid anymore. So with a more than 20-year history with the stock and a cost basis of under a dollar a share I don't have to prove any convictions. I trade for my own reasons, based on my own needs, and not because I believe I can outguess the market with my exceptional timing. That's a great way to put the old lizard brain totally in charge.

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
I would love to see you guys commenting when Apple reports it's last quarter profits. ;)
I can imagine Tim laughing his head off if he read your comments.

Psst...I was being ironic. As evident by the emoji ;)
[doublepost=1511497550][/doublepost]
Just go to an Apple store and buy the Verizon version for full price and don’t activate (business customer) and take to any carrier you want it is the same as unlocked.

My local Apple Store (which is still plenty away and actually not easily accessible - oh the joys of living in an island state) didn't even have the 8 in stock until just a couple weeks ago. It will be some time until I can just walk in and grab an X...

Reactions: BvizioN

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
I'm not sure where you find the "bearish sentiment." I haven't expressed any. I don't think John has either. What I think we both have said in different ways is that your method of predicting the future is less sound than you seem to believe.

As for psychology, that's a scary defense of a trading strategy. Our lizard brains are always telling us to do the wrong things. For myself, I am a seller of AAPL not because I'm bearish on AAPL (I basically give no advice to anyone on whether to be bullish or bearish) but because it makes up a ridiculously large portion of my portfolio, and that is just too risky, especially for someone who ain't a kid anymore. So with a more than 20-year history with the stock and a cost basis of under a dollar a share I don't have to prove any convictions. I trade for my own reasons, based on my own needs, and not because I believe I can outguess the market with my exceptional timing. That's a great way to put the old lizard brain totally in charge.
I honestly don’t read comments that closely. I’m speaking more generally about people saying X demand has disappointed, etc. a You may not have been bearish at all.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Since I wrote a lot and pretty much none of it was addressed, which is disappointing, I'll be relatively brief.

I feel it necessary to point out that we went from:
My point was that AAPL is cheap by any measure. ... There can be good discussions on stocks and their valuations, but AAPL would be one near the bottom of the list.

...which is a claim that I thoroughly disproved...and I then explained how you can run the numbers robustly virtually any way and still not be able to walk away with the conclusion that Apple is "cheap"...

...to...

An admitted belief (a word you used several times) that isn't actually supported by the preponderance of data. Or even your own data. Even using PE, which is the only metric you've used, Apple still isn't even in the top 20% of the Russell 3000!

But what does it matter? It's your money. You can do whatever you want for any reason you want. But let's just be clear and call a spade a spade. In short: if you believe in the principles of logic and reason, then the narrative needs to follow from the facts; select facts should not be cherry-picked to support a narrative.

Other companies might have better growth metrics, but p/e is straightforward.
And terrible, as previously explained in detail by both IJ Reilly and me.

At the end of the day, it’s about earnings.
No, it's about cash. This is Corporate Finance 101. That's why valuations are done most often with tools like DCF and RIM. Surely you learned that at Wharton.

At Wharton, I did insane analyses and learned detailed tactics for evaluating companies. I have recently tried to keep it simple, taking more of a Buffett approach to investing.
This is even more perplexing. Why would you not use the appropriate tools if you have them? That's like a surgeon saying he's going to use a hacksaw over more modern instruments because it's simpler. We and/or our employers paid a significant sum for our top-tier MBAs. Many people with those MBAs then get paid an absurd amount of money to use these skills, in a multi-billion dollar industry that continues to chug along just fine. That happens for a reason: those skills and tools are essential, and failure to use them puts an investor or analyst massively behind the curve.

Also, you're bastardizing the Buffett and Munger principles. He and Charlie Munger spend a ton of time doing their homework. The philosophy is simple; the execution is not. This is a huge and critical distinction. Read Mary Buffett's book. It's quote good.
[doublepost=1511504353][/doublepost]
As for psychology, that's a scary defense of a trading strategy. Our lizard brains are always telling us to do the wrong things.
And while I'm on the subject of book recommendations, IJ Reilly's excellent comment above takes us to another useful one. You say you like psychology and investment. There's a whole field around that now called behavioral finance. For practical applications, read Nudge by Richard Thaler. And to understand how our brains mess us up constantly, read Kahneman and Tversky's work, or just Kahneman's Thinking Fast and Slow. It's an easy and eye-opening read. You can't correct your biases until you recognize them.

Last edited:
Reactions: IJ Reilly

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Apple stock ownership with $1US dollar cost averaging?! Damn you must be living the high life!

getmetwister

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2017
Trivandrum
just order a fully paid Verizon model. it's unlocked and you can activate it with your own sim.
The question is will it ask for a Verison account details for first time activation. And if you check the IMEI number will it say Verison phone. If it says Verison device then apple warranty wont cover it here in India. In India now the fully unlocked version have international warranty and that's why we are waiting for Sim free version .

emilonrails

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2011
Ordered mine through Apple 2 weeks ago and the delivery dates (Dec 8 - 15) is the same as the delivery dates of one ordered now on Apple (Dec 8 - 15).

jdclifford

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
The question is will it ask for a Verison account details for first time activation. And if you check the IMEI number will it say Verison phone. If it says Verison device then apple warranty wont cover it here in India. In India now the fully unlocked version have international warranty and that's why we are waiting for Sim free version .
You activate it with your current sim card same as you would with a sim-free iPhone.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Since I wrote a lot and pretty much none of it was addressed, which is disappointing, I'll be relatively brief.

I feel it necessary to point out that we went from:

...which is a claim that I thoroughly disproved...and I then explained how you can run the numbers robustly virtually any way and still not be able to walk away with the conclusion that Apple is "cheap"...

...to...

An admitted belief (a word you used several times) that isn't actually supported by the preponderance of data. Or even your own data. Even using PE, which is the only metric you've used, Apple still isn't even in the top 20% of the Russell 3000!

But what does it matter? It's your money. You can do whatever you want for any reason you want. But let's just be clear and call a spade a spade. In short: if you believe in the principles of logic and reason, then the narrative needs to follow from the facts; select facts should not be cherry-picked to support a narrative.

And terrible, as previously explained in detail by both IJ Reilly and me.

No, it's about cash. This is Corporate Finance 101. That's why valuations are done most often with tools like DCF and RIM. Surely you learned that at Wharton.

This is even more perplexing. Why would you not use the appropriate tools if you have them? That's like a surgeon saying he's going to use a hacksaw over more modern instruments because it's simpler. We and/or our employers paid a significant sum for our top-tier MBAs. Many people with those MBAs then get paid an absurd amount of money to use these skills, in a multi-billion dollar industry that continues to chug along just fine. That happens for a reason: those skills and tools are essential, and failure to use them puts an investor or analyst massively behind the curve.

Also, you're bastardizing the Buffett and Munger principles. He and Charlie Munger spend a ton of time doing their homework. The philosophy is simple; the execution is not. This is a huge and critical distinction. Read Mary Buffett's book. It's quote good.
[doublepost=1511504353][/doublepost]
And while I'm on the subject of book recommendations, IJ Reilly's excellent comment above takes us to another useful one. You say you like psychology and investment. There's a whole field around that now called behavioral finance. For practical applications, read Nudge by Richard Thaler. And to understand how our brains mess us up constantly, read Kahneman and Tversky's work, or just Kahneman's Thinking Fast and Slow. It's an easy and eye-opening read. You can't correct your biases until you recognize them.
Now I see exactly what's happened. I've been too high level. I didn't read your responses closely and now realize you've thrown in every company under the sun. I'm not interested in "cheaper" stocks like IBM, GM, and HPQ. And those other companies in the Russell 3000 aren't always what I consider quality stocks. There are tons of value traps and/or companies with external threats and boring prospects, like GM or HPQ. Cheaper on P/E and maybe even on other metrics, but not quality. There is a lot of cheap crap. I do my own analysis on investment worthy companies, so simply ranking them with metrics is not something I'm interested in doing.

AAPL IS cheap by any measure, still stand by it regardless of some examples of cheaper stocks with different metrics. You have to consider to the quality of the company.

I follow Buffett quite closely. They do homework, but they do NOT get stuck in the weeds of quantitative analysis. Buffett bought AAPL because "he liked it" and owns 134M shares. All the public examples and interviews he's done on buying stocks and companies CONTINUALLY confirm he's extremely high level and is more interested in the people running the company than any hardcore financial analysis. He of course looks at the company's balance sheet and income statements, but he's not doing what you do, that's for sure.

I have the fortunate experience of having learned at Wharton and know that all the numbers actually mean very little. Psychology is much more powerful than anything numbers can tell you.

You don't need to concern yourself with 3,000 stocks. I focus on 5-10 and I don't pay attention to others except broadly and as it relates to my 5-10. That is the quintessential Buffett "no called strikes" philosophy. I only swing when I feel I have a slight edge. We have different styles...you talked about doing heavy analysis. I simply don't do that (anymore). It's been over a decade since I've concerned myself with anything that detailed.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Now I see exactly what's happened. I've been too high level. I didn't read your responses closely and now realize you've thrown in every company under the sun. I'm not interested in "cheaper" stocks like IBM, GM, and HPQ. And those other companies in the Russell 3000 aren't always what I consider quality stocks. There are tons of value traps and/or companies with external threats and boring prospects, like GM or HPQ. Cheaper on P/E and maybe even on other metrics, but not quality. There is a lot of cheap crap. I do my own analysis on investment worthy companies, so simply ranking them with metrics is not something I'm interested in doing.

AAPL IS cheap by any measure, still stand by it regardless of some examples of cheaper stocks with different metrics. You have to consider to the quality of the company.

I follow Buffett quite closely. They do homework, but they do NOT get stuck in the weeds of quantitative analysis. Buffett bought AAPL because "he liked it" and owns 134M shares. All the public examples and interviews he's done on buying stocks and companies CONTINUALLY confirm he's extremely high level and is more interested in the people running the company than any hardcore financial analysis. He of course looks at the company's balance sheet and income statements, but he's not doing what you do, that's for sure.

I have the fortunate experience of having learned at Wharton and know that all the numbers actually mean very little. Psychology is much more powerful than anything numbers can tell you.

You don't need to concern yourself with 3,000 stocks. I focus on 5-10 and I don't pay attention to others except broadly and as it relates to my 5-10. That is the quintessential Buffett "no called strikes" philosophy. I only swing when I feel I have a slight edge. We have different styles...you talked about doing heavy analysis. I simply don't do that (anymore). It's been over a decade since I've concerned myself with anything that detailed.

There's just so much wrong here, but I've already spent too much time pointing the large number of incorrect things. It's maddening.

Apple isn't cheap. Proven. Quality and value aren't mutually exclusive. (Again see Fama-French.) And Buffett does SUBSTANTIAL fundamental analysis before investing, not some gut instinct thing.

Anyone who (like me) actually did attend a top-3 MBA program wouldn't say the stuff you are.

But hey, whatever. Best of luck to you with your Apple investment.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
There's just so much wrong here, but I've already spent too much time pointing the large number of incorrect things. It's maddening.

Apple isn't cheap. Proven. Quality and value aren't mutually exclusive. (Again see Fama-French.) And Buffett does SUBSTANTIAL fundamental analysis before investing, not some gut instinct thing.

Anyone who (like me) actually did attend a top-3 MBA program wouldn't say the stuff you are.

But hey, whatever. Best of luck to you with your Apple investment.
You act like I'm the only one in the world saying Apple is cheap...you're full of yourself and your abilities to evaluate companies. Nothing I've said is wrong other than your perception that AAPL isn't the cheapest of all stocks in the universe. AAPL is still a cheap, high (maybe highest quality) company with growing EPS, growing iOS devices, and a growing services biz that is the future of the company.

Buffett himself thinks Apple is cheap...that's why he bought 134M shares. You're completely off on Buffett and his investing style. He and Munger do not get caught in numbers. They know the numbers, but they aren't doing these complex, detailed analyses. Buffett doesn't even use a computer except to play bridge.

When AAPL is valued as the consumer products and services company it actually is, it's going higher.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Buffett makes his own rain. Almost nobody on the planet can do what he does.
So true. And the great thing is he recognizes it, which is why he so firmly advocates that retail investors invest passively with index funds. It's not like most people or even managers can do what he does anyway; BRK is much more than just a stock picking holding company.

There's some cool recent academic research showing that there actually are more talented stock picking pros than we might think. But by the time you factor in overhead and information costs, much of the effect disappears. And then it becomes even worse for investors themselves since they get only part of the real returns.

And that's assuming the investor can figure out who has that skill versus getting lucky due to plain old variance! Virtually impossible.

Oddly enough, I used to hate finance. But one of my profs was a successful hedge fund manager who got tired of just making money and wanted to return to the research side. Life changing experience. I don't care about the money, but the learning (especially about behavioral finance, which clearly interests both you and me) was great.

Last edited:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
So true. And the great thing is he recognizes it, which is why he so firmly advocates that retail investors invest passively with index funds. It's not like most people or even managers can do what he does anyway; BRK is much more than just a stock picking holding company.

There's some cool recent academic research showing that there actually are more talented stock picking pros than we might think. But by the time you factor in overhead and information costs, much of the effect disappears. And then it becomes even worse for investors themselves since they get only part of the real returns.

And that's assuming the investor can figure out who has that skill versus getting lucky due to plain old variance! Virtually impossible.

Oddly enough, I used to hate finance. But one of my profs was a successful hedge fund manager who got tired of just making money and wanted to return to the research side. Life changing experience. I don't care about the money, but the learning (especially about behavioral finance, which clearly interests both you and me) was great.

Didn't somebody recently win a Nobel Prize for his work in behavioral economics? Maybe not the same thing you are talking about. Never made any kind of study of this stuff beyond what I thought was necessary for survival.

Buffett is interesting on a number of levels. If we're going to live in a world with a whole lot of billionaires, more of them need to be Warren Buffett.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.