iPhone X silver = white ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lancastor, Sep 12, 2017.

1. lancastor macrumors 6502a

On all videos and on the Apple Store the iPhone silver looks like a white back. Is it really a pure white?

Why Apple calls it „silver“ and not „white“?

2. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

It’s referring to the stainless steel band around the phone. I’m assuming it’ll be a more raw stainless look like on the Apple Watch. But yes it looks like the back is white, which will hide fingerprints and scratches better.

3. craftEcowgirl macrumors member

Will the silver really have a white back? As have seen articles that say picture is misleading

4. ssrij Suspended

Totally wrong. The back is silver. Apple has never in the history of iPhone referred to the colour as the colour of the band/sides. It's always the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. FoxD macrumors 6502a

6. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

Very nice pictures. However, space gray looks much nicer than the shown pictures. Thank you. I am excited about space gray will not get sold fastest as the majority potential X buyers according to MacRumor forum participants will get silver one and make space gray more available. Too bad no red color is made. Outside red, black is the best color.

7. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Of the two I like the silver version better. I think the back will show less fingerprints / scratches as well, although most would just put some sort of case.

8. ACST Suspended

That's not black but dark grey and looks great until you start touching it. Have you seen the hands-on videos? Smudge fest.

9. deuxani macrumors 6502

deuxani

Well, it totally depends on the lighting. You chose pictures with dark lighting which make it look less white, but there are many examples where the back looks completely white:

[​IMG]

As the 8 and 8 Plus are also said to be "silver", it's fairly easy to just go to an Apple Store and see the silver 8 in real life. Then you know how white or silvery it is in real life.

[​IMG]

To me the stainless steel band is silvery in colour, but the back just looks very very light grey and not silver. Just Google image search the colour silver, it's much darker than the back of these new iPhones.

10. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

It's somewhere between silver and white and can look very silver or very white depending on your lighting. The thing about colors is there's tons of options in between "White" and "Silver".

11. the future macrumors 65816

As you can see in the last picture, the X is actually different / a little darker / more silvery in comparison to the 8/8+. Still both aren‘t white but a very light grey.

12. Apple-of-my-eye macrumors regular

Apple-of-my-eye

We own a silver Town and Country minivan- sometimes it actually looks white- I have the feeling the X silver may have the same effect.

13. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

14. xsimplyjosh macrumors regular

They all will have the stainless steel band, and i dont think the color of the band will differ to much, i think its just the back that's changed. they are using silver and space grey because those words sound "premium and better" than "black and white"

15. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

In the hands-on videos I've seen, the band on the Space Gray X looks pretty dark to me, similar to the edge on the space gray 8 Plus.

EDIT: I'm thinking I probably misunderstood your post.

iPhone X Sides.JPG

16. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

silver would be silver. if it was white they would call it white

17. orev macrumors 6502

The pictures where it looks white are wrong because most of them have no reference "white" color in the background, so the camera recalibrates the white point to the brightest thing in the frame -- which is the phone. So it calls that silver "white" and records it as such. The pics from ssrij are the most accurate since there is a very well defined source of white balance behind it.

18. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

Well they do it with the watches. Go to an Apple store and look at the “silver” iPhone 8, it’s the faintest hint of silver on the back. Looks white most of the time.

19. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

It's much closer to white than it is to silver. The real color looks similar to the typical 92 brightness recycled office copy paper. The front white bezel is similar to 98 or 100 brightness paper.

Most people are expecting silver to have metallic specks or be reflective. The "silver" iPhone 8 is neither.

20. micqo macrumors regular

It looks so cool! I will prefer white-silver this year. I hope there is no any black micro dots on edges… :rolleyes:

21. blairian89 macrumors 6502

blairian89

If it is the same as the new silver, it is almost white.

22. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

Actually the silver looks pretty good. It all comes down to personal preference but honestly I could go with either color, I think.

23. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

Omg good thing you showed this. Ugly as hell, looks like dirty white. Black it is, if ever

24. Relentless Power, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Sometimes Apples coloring schemes that they have labeled, don't always appropriately fit The iPhone the way they look. Space gray being one of them over the years. This new silver iPhone definitely looks more white to me.

25. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

I prefer this color this year. I like the toned down white look to it. I dont need a blazing titanium white color. Having the back front makes this phone the best imo in a most colors of iPhone ever.
    Ive wanted a light colored back with black glass front since iPhone 5.