iPhone X, still no aptx HD support?

UBS28

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Apple has been pushing the use of wireless headphones by the removal of the headphone jack, yet they still do not support bluetooth headphones properly? Even on their "phone of the future"?

jamesrick80

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2014
Apple has been pushing the use of wireless headphones by the removal of the headphone jack, yet they still do not support bluetooth headphones properly? Even on their "phone of the future"?
Yeah so they can make you go out and buy those airpods or W1 supported beats audio bluetooth earbuds. It's a money hungry company with a fanbase that believes they actually truly care. It's the gated wall philosophy that no other company but Apple truly follows to the core.

Last edited:

Treyhunna

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2017
W2 chip. More significant. Their beats line of headphones dont even have it. So why do they care?

Reactions: ACST

Vundu

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
APTX HD still isn’t a lossless format. Is it that important at this point? No doubt a better bandwidth version that supports lossless will come out soon enough.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2014
APTX HD still isn’t a lossless format. Is it that important at this point? No doubt a better bandwidth version that supports lossless will come out soon enough.
Lossless is not required for bluetooth audio transmission and most likely won't exist for a while. You rather have enhanced Bluetooth audio due to audio already going through processing to fix the impact that the processing caused on the overall sound quality. That's when APTX HD comes in handy. It's nearly indistinguishable from actual high definition audio even with low definition audio files.

Chancha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2014
aptX is proprietarily owned by Qualcomm, that and the fact that Apple's intention to push its own W1/2 chipsets among its ecosystem, both are reasons enough for them to not support aptX.

Reactions: racerhomie and ACST

UBS28

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Currently, there are bluetooth headphones on the market that make use of atpx HD.

But if you are strict on buying Beats headphones, I guess it is not important.

Chancha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2014
Currently, there are bluetooth headphones on the market that make use of atpx HD.

But if you are strict on buying Beats headphones, I guess it is not important.
I was just saying that on Apple's perspective, they are within their power and interest to not support it, it is not even an open standard.

That of course doesn't necessarily mean it is in the best interest on consumer's part though. I myself own a few aptX devices, particularly Astell & Kern XB10 which is a bluetooth "dongle" that is a wireless DAC andearphone amplifier which supports aptX HD. The same piece of high(re) res audio file plays better from a Samsung phone than from my iPhone 7 via this hardware. I would have loved iDevices to support it ASAP, ironically the "better" W1/W2 chip is only there to serve average audio quality products like the AirPods, where more emphasis is on connectivity and ease of use than audio fidelity which pretty much requires better bandwidth.

Reactions: racerhomie

Nozuka

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2012
they'll probably bring something when they increase the audio quality of itunes / apple music files.

but it's definitely sad how long it's taking them.

ACST

Suspended
Sep 5, 2016
Yeah so they can make you go out and buy those airpods or W1 supported beats audio bluetooth earbuds. It's a money hungry company with a fanbase that believes they actually truly care. It's the gated wall philosophy that no other company but Apple truly follows to the core.
If you actually had used any of the W1 headphones you would now how much nonsense you're spewing APTX is nice and all but far far inferior to the capabilities of the W1-chip as is every other bluetooth system that's on the market.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2014
If you actually had used any of the W1 headphones you would now how much nonsense you're spewing APTX is nice and all but far far inferior to the capabilities of the W1-chip as is every other bluetooth system that's on the market.
I have no issues with any Bluetooth headphones or wired earbuds I own and none have W1. They all connect quickly and I'm sure they sound better than any airpods.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
I have no issues with any Bluetooth headphones or wired earbuds I own and none have W1. They all connect quickly and I'm sure they sound better than any airpods.
I can experience delay between audio and video.
As long as you are only listening, all is fine. In YouTube, Twitch or similar, I can notice a delay.
But that's just my subjective experience.

Reactions: ACST

ACST

Suspended
Sep 5, 2016
Again, you clearly never used any headphones with the W1-chip or you would know how much better these are than normal BT connections and the issues with normal BT headphones are abundant.

UBS28

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Interesting. Not only does the successor of the Sony MDR-1000X, which is the Sony WH 1000XM2, support ATPX HD. Now B&W has joined with their latest B&W PX as they also support ATPX HD which uses some technologies from their $900 B&W P9.

But you won't be able to make use of that with the iPhone X. The iPhone X is aimed at Beats headphones and not higher quality headphones.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2014
Again, you clearly never used any headphones with the W1-chip or you would know how much better these are than normal BT connections and the issues with normal BT headphones are abundant.
Guess those issues don't affect me then. :rolleyes:

UBS28

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
What are you even talking about? My B&W P7 Wireless has no issues with Bluetooth at all while sounding much better than the congested sounding Beats Solo Wireless 3.

ACST

Suspended
Sep 5, 2016
What are you even talking about? My B&W P7 Wireless has no issues with Bluetooth at all while sounding much better than the congested sounding Beats Solo Wireless 3.
Oh well if you don't have any issues with Bluetooth then I'm guessing there's no issue with Bluetooth connections at all.

I'm sorry everybody, UBS28 just informed me that he has no issues with his Bluetooth so clearly there are no issues with Bluetooth at all, because UBS28 has no issues. :confused:

UBS28

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Oh well if you don't have any issues with Bluetooth then I'm guessing there's no issue with Bluetooth connections at all.

I'm sorry everybody, UBS28 just informed me that he has no issues with his Bluetooth so clearly there are no issues with Bluetooth at all, because UBS28 has no issues.
So what issues are there with the B&W P7 Wireless headphone then? I own these headphones for a very long time and not even once did the connection break on me.

Reactions: trellus

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Since AptX and AptX HD is under Qualcomm and with Apple relationship with the company, I doubt we'll ever see this happen, all I hope is they'll be an open standard (that's AptX HD equivalent) and all modern wireless headphones that support AptX HD is able to software update to whatever this open standard is and of course iOS & MacOS native support for whatever Apple devices release then.