iPhone X Stolen :(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spikeyjac, Nov 6, 2017.

1. spikeyjac macrumors regular

Hey all.

I'm travelling in the US at the moment and managed to snag a X 64GB from the Apple Store on Friday to use when I return to the UK.

Unfortunately, while in NYC, I then got mugged on Saturday and they took my phone!

I'm in Manhattan until Thursday, so if anyone has any tips about trying to pick up another X while I'm here, that would be great!

Thanks!

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Oh no :(

Do you have Find My iPhone enabled? Hopefully it's all locked down so those blaggards can't do anything with it.

Really sorry to hear that.

3. spikeyjac thread starter macrumors regular

I did but it's offline, so very doubtful that I'll be able to trace!

4. ssrij Suspended

RIP. I hope you get insurance on your phone when you return to the UK, but I don't think you will be able to get it on phones bought outside of the UK, so it's better to just buy it from the UK, and then get phone insurance to protect against loss/theft/damage, it's only £10/month.

You've already spent $1000+, might as well a little more and buy from UK with phone insurance, or you may end up losing it again (hope not) and be in debt of $2k+.

5. gadgetfreaky macrumors 65816

file a police report- they may be able to help- esp something that expensive.

6. spikeyjac thread starter macrumors regular

Certain insurers will - but agreed.

Reported to the police also - but they've been utterly useless.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I agree a police report should be filed and its a criminal incident, however, with the call volume for a city like New York, I doubt the Police will invest much time into the investigation, unless there was witnesses or video, let alone if there was much they could do. But I do believe the Police should be proactive as possible given the circumstances. These types of incidents happen every single day in a city that large.

8. alphaswift macrumors regular

That really sucks and glad you’re okay. I’m pretty sure they would have had to stab me to get my phone.

9. RonFromOregon macrumors regular

So sorry this happened to you. Something like that would shake me up for a long time. At least the thieves won't be able to use the phone, if that's any consolation, due to activation lock.

10. Blondie&Dagwood macrumors 6502

Blondie&Dagwood

check the apple store every morning at 6am. That's when they replenish stock for in-store pick-up, but you have gotta be quick.

11. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

I’m sorry that this happened. This is one of the consideration that i have with buying new phones....

12. TimeSquareDesi macrumors 6502

TimeSquareDesi

Did they see you with the phone? that really sucks.

13. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

Material things like a phone can be replaced one should be glad if no serious harm happened.

That being said, I'm sure there are some available in NY just gotta hustle to find one.

14. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

The phone is useless to the thief. Of course he/she will find some fool who will shell money for it and another person will get screwed. Most likely the person who stole the phone, no longer has it.

15. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

It won't be offline forever. There's a button to mark it as stolen, right? Maybe in iCloud's settings itself?