iPhone X iPhone X Stolen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPad Retina, Oct 15, 2018.

1. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Hi. I decided to sell my iPhone X on Letgo and a person messaged me 2 days later. When we did meet up. He asked to see the phone and asked if the iCloud is off on it. I said no and said I’ll sign off on it. When I did. He ended up taking off and running with the phone. I blacklisted the phone immediately. But apparently the thief signed in to his Apple ID according to Apple 5 minutes after he took off and is still associated with the phone today as find my iPhone is on on it as well with that exact Apple ID.

Police are now investigating into this and found the IP address associated with the person now. Anyone else come into a similar issue. (sigh)

2. Banglazed macrumors demi-god

Banglazed

An unfortunate event to sell locally. I wouldn’t let the person hold the device until I get payment and I wouldn’t sign out of the device either. I would show him the front and back of the device and would ask if he is still interested and show me the money before proceeding. Did you at least meet in a public location? If you haven’t signed out of your iCloud, the thief probably wouldn’t or would’ve ran with it either way if that was his whole intent. Hopefully, the police can recover the device. The rate of recovery is normally low for petty theft. Sorry about the unfortunate event. I know how you feel though. I had one of my device stolen before.

3. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

So he asked you to sign out of iCloud just so he could look at it? And when you did, he ran off with the phone?

That sucks, dude.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

I feel terrible for you. That really sucks. Hope they can catch the culprit. :(

5. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Yup, I usually meet inside a coffee shop but this time, I don't know what went through my head.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 15, 2018 ---
    I've personally haven't had any bad experiences in the past with craigslist, Letgo and Kijiji deals. First time something like this happened to me.

6. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

Unfortunate story. Yeah, unless you need the money or if you paid for your iPhone in full...I think it’s best to just trade in your iPhone for a new iPhone instead of selling it to strangers. Even if you bought your iPhone in full off contract, I think you may be able to get money off your next iPhone at the Apple store.

Barring that, let this be a lesson when selling anything on Craigslist locally. I’ve heard too many stories of these snatch and grabs when meeting strangers to sell an item. If you must do this, do it in a very public place...preferably with a group of friends. Better yet...tell the person to meet you in front of the local police station. Ha! If their intentions are bad, they will leave when they see your friends with you...or won’t even show up cause you mentioned police station.

7. M33-1 macrumors regular

M33-1

+1 to that!

8. laptech macrumors 6502

laptech

Next time, make sure you have the money in your pocket before you sign off from icloud.

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Mod Note
    I have deleted several posts that were straying into PRSI territory. Please keep on topic and leave the PRSI posts to the PRSI forum

10. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Captain Hindsight to the rescue.

[​IMG]

11. Mariya2986 macrumors newbie

Sucks when it happens. I sold my phone in 2016 to two aholes who paid me in fake $20 bills. I learnt valuable lesson. It doesn't take that long to check serial numbers of bills, if they are all the same or you notice at least two the same then no deal. And the police is absolutely useless. You will find 3 of these costumed clowns when you park illegally, but if need help catching thieves they suddenly are overworked

12. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

Lol. Perfect.

13. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

Your lucky the police actually investigated, not the norm in the US. Not the they don’t care just overworked and triage cases.

14. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

15. gurase macrumors 6502

My local police station has parking spaces under surveillance just for sales and exchanges.

16. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

In the future, take care of any exchange of transaction at a police station, at the Apple Store, or wherever there is surveillance.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 15, 2018 ---
    True, but it could happen in reverse. A guy could bait a buyer into a phone and run with the money. As I advised, always take care of transactions inside some establishment that has surveillance. Both of you have to be seated at a table for the exchange; not standing allowing the other to get away should that be the intent.

17. white4s macrumors 68000

The real question why didn't you chase after him & how did he have enough time to log in while running? This story doesn't make sense

18. bevsb2 macrumors 68000

Not everyone is a sprinter who just happens to be wearing running shoes. And what if you catch up and a fight ensues? Better to lose an iPhone than a few teeth. I imagine 5 minutes was enough time for this loser to get to a place where he could log in. I hope the OP gets his phone back.

19. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

That is awesome

20. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

What I have done in the past is meet at a Verizon store. Hand my phone to a Verizon rep to verify to the buyer that it is not damaged, unlocked and not blacklisted. When I get the money, the rep gives the phone to the buyer. I then proceed to use the cash to buy a new phone from the rep. They are more than happy to help you out.

21. JBGoode macrumors 6502

JBGoode

My police station allows (and recommends)that all sales/exchanges take place in their lobby. :)

22. Appurushido macrumors 6502

Sucks to hear that. Was it out in the open like a parking lot? What other people have done is have the transaction deep inside a coffee shop or some place with lots of surveillance cameras. That way if they try to run off with your product, they will be on videotape.

Also, if someone is wearing a hat and shades, I would just walk away or have the transaction in a place where they cant run. Or better yet, tell them to take it off. If they feel uncomfortable in doing so, then you know it's a red flag.

23. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

That is even better.

24. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

I did chase him, but he ran like it was track and field day. as he was running and got away, he set up the phone with an Apple ID

25. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

This doesn't make sense. Even if icloud is turned off, your passcode is still in effect. Even if he entered his icloud credentials, when the phone turns off, he will need to enter your passcode to unlock, or if you have faceID, unlock with your faceID. Unless you did a complete wipe before you sold the phone.