iPhone X: Tap-to-wake activating in pocket

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Coolnat2004, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Has anyone else had trouble with keeping your iPhone X in your pocket, and also having your hand in your pocket?

For me, this often turns on the screen due to tap-to-wake, and can cause the phone to get into the emergency call screen. Yesterday I ended up pocket-dialing my brother because his number is on my medical ID card.

I feel like the phone should use the proximity sensor to stay locked when in a pocket, but it doesn't.

2. orev macrumors 6502

Turn your phone around in your pocket so the screen is against your leg instead of facing out towards your hands. I don't understand why people don't do this as it's obvious. It will also help protect the screen from getting damaged if you bump into a table or something.

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

4. Fitcherama macrumors newbie

Maybe it’s not tap to wake that causes your problem but raise to wake? I disabled that and have zero unintentional activations.

5. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

The emergency call screen could possibly be because the side buttons are being squeezed... I had that happen when trying to use the Apple leather case in a tight sleeve. The phone went into emergency mode and was sounding an alarm. I eventually was able to get the phone out of the sleeve...i had jammed it in pretty tightly, so it was tough to get out -- even worse with a siren and worrying about it calling 911

6. Wags macrumors 65816

Always wonder if will try and wake in pockets without any touch. Would never know if going of and on unless battery drain.

7. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Turn off tap to wake and raise to wake.
    Zero problems

8. ManuCH macrumors 6502a

Just a side note: I never put the phone in my pocket with the screen against my leg, as the screen may get scratched by the little buttons around the pockets that can be found on some jeans.

9. Coolnat2004 thread starter macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

I don't think that is happening in my pocket, but I did cause that to happen the second day of having the phone. I was putting my phone in my bike's saddle bag–secured by an elastic strap. By the time I zipped it up the alarm was sounding. I hit cancel but it had actually called 911 because they called me back. That was very nerve-wracking especially because the phone I restored from had auto-call turned off, and the iPhone X turned it back on by default.

10. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

I hope you know you basically said he was holding it wrong.

11. orev macrumors 6502

Those buttons would be either metal or plastic, neither of which is harder than glass so it would not be able to scratch it.

12. ManuCH macrumors 6502a

They are metal. But why wouldn't they scratch the glass? I see plenty of people who scratch their iPhone glass with keys, which are metal as well. What am I missing?

13. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

You’ve seen keys scratch the glass?

14. ManuCH macrumors 6502a

I have anecdotal evidence that people who keep keys and the iPhone in the same pocket tend to have scratched screens. This is the case with several iPhone 7 owners I know. No clue what else they're doing with the phone and of course the scratches could come from somewhere else, so it's no solid proof.

15. Marshall73 macrumors 68000

Marshall73

Metal is harder than the oleophobic coating, Which shows as fine scratches when scratched.

16. orev macrumors 6502

Scientifically, metal cannot scratch glass. Please read about the Mohs scale of hardness. Every Youtube review where you see someone try to scratch it with keys is done by a Liberal Arts major, not a science major. Anyone scratching it with keys is either also involving another material like grit/sand, or possibly scratching the screen coating (see next comment).

Fair point. This is possible but then should also be able to be restored easily using a kit from Amazon.

17. ManuCH macrumors 6502a

I know about the scientific part. Well, having sand in the mix might be it - and since my pant pockets aren't a sterile environment when I'm out and about, I don't want to risk it.

And yes it may of course be the oleophobic coating getting scratched. Even if it's fixable, I'd rather not.

And that's why I'll still store my iPhone in my pocket with the screen outward

18. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

I have had raise to wake turned off since it existed. My restore kept it. So no problems on my end.

However I noticed yesterday, my screen didn't lock like it's supposed to. I had it cradled in my car and it stayed lit the entire journey.

19. JetsetTX macrumors newbie

Thank you! This solved the problem for me. I haven’t tested it yet but wonder if it’s because sometimes I have the phone upside down in my pocket and when climbing stairs etc. The movement of my leg makes it think I’m lifting it up toward me and it wakes causing the keypad and emergency screen to appear and call my emgcy contact.