Iphone X Tmobile Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gjm87, Nov 8, 2017.

1. gjm87 macrumors regular

All,

I have an extra Iphone X from Tmobile that my wife does not want after playing with mine since launch. I was going to sell it to a coworker, and wanted to know if it will work on any carrier? Also do I need to take the sim card out of it?

Thanks for the help!

2. california_kid macrumors regular

If you purchased from TMobile, the phone is locked. Assuming you have paid it off, you just need to request TMobile to unlock the phone (call or chat) and it will take 2-3 days for the unlock to go through. You don't need a SIM card as the lock is associated to your IMEI number, not your SIM card.

Once unlocked, the TMobile phone will work with any carrier that uses GSM (LTE). It will even work on Verizon, except in low population areas that are still on CDMA. There are many folks on this forum that use a GSM only phone on Verizon without issue.

3. csurfr macrumors 68020

Also, I believe if you bought it from T-Mobile that they require it to be in use for 45 days prior to unlocking.

4. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502a

Dirtydutch

It will only work on a GSM carrier such as T Mobile / AT&T, Sprint and Verizon utilize a different model

5. Flyer888 macrumors member

It WILL work on Sprint/Verizon as long as you got LTE signal. Unless you use it in rural remote areas where you don't get LTE, it shouldn't be a problem.

6. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502a

Dirtydutch

77B4286F-FB85-4986-812B-8672699C3461.jpeg
    Move along

7. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Are you saying it won't work on LTE on Verizon/Sprint? Because it will.

8. Sciomar macrumors regular

Sciomar

It will work as long as the phone remains in the area LTE is covering, the moment it drops out of coverage area (like in a lot of rural areas) it will not function on the carrier network due to not having CDMA capability.

9. gjm87 thread starter macrumors regular

How true is this portion of it? A Tmobile rep confirmed that this is true.

10. Flyer888 macrumors member

Indeed it does not support the CDMA network (1x, 3G, ...), but it does support the LTE bands that Sprint/Verizon use.
    So as I said before, unless you're using it in remote areas where there is no LTE coverage, using Sprint/Verizon on A1901 should not be a problem at all.

11. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502a

Dirtydutch

12. california_kid macrumors regular

Yes, and the small minority of Verizon customers who experience this are waiting on LTE coverage extended to their area and not waiting for the next iPhone to continue supporting CDMA. Even the ones you are happy to use CDMA are voice only customers in the furthest reaches of the US population. That is also why Verizon can't just kill CDMA now. Sometimes the brand known as "coverage everywhere" comes at a price.