Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJohnnyG

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2011
Newcastle
Like the subject asks, has anyone gone from iPhone X to iPhone Xs Max? What's your reason behind it?

I've never had a plus size phone before, when I've been in store the plus one's have always felt huge and look big but the iPhone Xs Max looks different, it doesn't look as large as a plus.

Waterman316

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
It’s only slightly smaller than the plus phones. Mine hasn’t been delivered yet, but I compared my uag case to my dads plus phone uag case and the size difference is barely noticeable.

I’m going to the max from the X. My reasoning is I want the bigger screen, and my dad needs a new phone, so he’s getting my X

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
That’s what I’m doing. I won’t have it until later today but I’ve had plus phones in the past and I’d say you get used to them after a short while. In some cases it doesn’t work out, for example if one-handed use is a must and someone has small hands then it’s not as fun. But then there are all sorts of loopy cases, ring cases and pop sockets

Sumter

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2014
Mine isn't coming until next week since I ordered late, but I wasn't planning on upgrading this year since I was satisfied with my X and the price was getting a little too high for my taste. I still kept up with the news and my husband wanted an upgrade from his 7 Plus to my X so I can get a new phone, thinking I wanted it since I kept checking up on the news lol. He's right... I wanted the bigger screen and the new color. I used Plus phones ever since 6 Plus came out in 2014 so I don't feel too intimidated by the size. I'm currently on my husband's 7 Plus while I wait on the Xs Max.

karmamule

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2008
Waltham, MA
I wanted a larger screen, and am a gadget freak who will always upgrade yearly unless the new feature set is truly pathetic. Larger screen, A12 processor, and better camera were all significant enough for me.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Just got my max around an hour ago. Seems huge compared to my X but I don’t have any regrets. Easier to type on screen and easier to read. Had a 6+ and 7+ before so used to the size.

Reactions: AppleRobert

athletejmv

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
Like the subject asks, has anyone gone from iPhone X to iPhone Xs Max? What's your reason behind it?

I've never had a plus size phone before, when I've been in store the plus one's have always felt huge and look big but the iPhone Xs Max looks different, it doesn't look as large as a plus.

I mostly just wanted the larger screen. I upgraded to the XS Max from the X. I appreciate the much improved speakers, slightly quicker Face ID (didn’t like how slow the X is), quicker wireless charge time and larger display. Beyond that, I'm no gamer... The Bionic 12 processor isn’t much of an upgrade for my uses. I mostly use my phone for medical school (keeping up with assignments, discussion boards, news and emails when I can't get to my laptop right away). Beyond that, I use my phone to keep in touch with people and entertainment value (Apple Music for home, gym and school; display for Netflix, email and youtube), which is where the larger display greatly shines. I stick to the OLED screens due to concerns with dead pixels and backlight bleed, this is a more rare occurrence and hardly noticeable at all on the higher PPI OLED displays... with that, I'll risk the burnin, etc. If you don't mind the high entry price (close to Samsung's Note 9), then I think you'll be happy with it.

cfairbank

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2006
I posted on another thread about my returning of the max for the xs. I have used the x for the past year coming from the 6+, 6s+, 7+. I have really come to like the form factor of the x. When i received the max i didn't even open it. I went to my local apple store the day after launch to play with the floor models. I really like the feel of the max, it felt better than the pluses did. However, once I put a case on it, the feeling changed. It was slight but noticeable enough that he just became a little to cumbersome for me. Thats saying a lot for someone that is 6'4" with that can palm a basketball, lol. I can use it with a single hand it just takes a little more effort and its much better when you use two. For this reason I have really come to like the feel of the x. This is why I exchanged my max for a 256 space gray xs.

nlkccom

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2008
1. I upgrade to a new phone every year
2. I want a bigger screen
3. I want longer battery life. The X was a bit short.

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2008
I’m debating this as we speak - been a plus user since they came out. About 6 months ago I bought the X

Before I was using my plus for everything
Even at home I stopped using my iPad since the plus screen was good for surfing etc

Now that I have the X I’m back to using 2 devices phone and iPad.

That being said I’d like to go back to one device.

Now I just gotta figure out how to get out of the X

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Like the subject asks, has anyone gone from iPhone X to iPhone Xs Max?

What's your reason behind it?

I went from an iPhone X to an XS Max. This is my third day with it.

I knew that it would not be a big increase in overall performance compared to the X, but I was attracted to the idea of a 6.5" high quality screen in a shell that was about the same size as the 7 Plus that I had before I got the X.

I am having second thoughts, because it is a little bigger than I remembered, and I have had the iPhone X long enough to get used to that size iPhone, I guess. Neither X or XS Max are an ideal solution for watching videos but my hope was that the XS Max would be a good enough compromise that I could stop packing the iPad on trips. :)

Maybe this will happen, maybe not. I am still deciding.

Now...as a T-Mobile subscriber, what put me over the edge with ordering this year's iPhone was the availability of 4X4 MIMO, gigabit LTE and Band 71.

So far, I have only used the XS Max at my home in the country, where the arrays do not support the faster data speeds, and I'll find out more about this tomorrow. :)

Reactions: Geert76

jettie1767

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2003
New Jersey, USA
I upgraded from the X to the XS Max for the bigger screen. While the X was fine, I had always had the Plus phones so I decided to upgrade. Also, even with the bigger dimensions, the XS Max isn't as unwieldy as the Plus phones.

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018

I upgrade every year. That’s pretty much my reason. Same thing next year and so on.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Went from the x to the max after previously having gone from pluses to the x.

The max is great. Feels smaller than a plus in the hand.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
I upgraded from the X to the XS Max for the bigger screen. While the X was fine, I had always had the Plus phones so I decided to upgrade. Also, even with the bigger dimensions, the XS Max isn't as unwieldy as the Plus phones.
Compared to the 8 Plus, the XS Max is: .9mm shorter, .7mm narrower, .3mm thicker and 6 grams heavier. How does that translate to 'isn't as unwieldy as the Plus phones'? It's damn near identical.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
If you never had a Plus before I would strongly recommend using it a bit at Apple, Best Buy or wherever. You can always return the Max but that is what I recommend.

I have the X, went to the Max. No regrets. I did have a few of the Plus models back when though.

Chevyguy2021

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2017
I went to the max from the x. I love it.
If money isn't an issue go for it.
I sold my x for $820 and got my Max for $1160 or whatever after taxes.
I used to have a 7+ and it was my favorite phone ever.
I think my Max will now be my new favorite. The camera is amazing and I wanted the larger screen for media and better battery life. The new chip is a plus :)

MDMac

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
McAllen, TX
OP, I went this route. I had my reservations as I never really became accustomed to the unwieldiness of the previous plus models. The XS Max has such a great screen and slightly better feel in the hand. I am definitely keeping it. Also, I decided to ditch Apple's leather case, which really does add significant bulk to the phone IMO. This may have played a role in my dislike of the previous plus model setup. I opted for a very slim, matte case off amazon and the difference in size/feel is negligible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.