Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mad4clay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Minnesota
I would love to know what others think of the upgrade from the X to the XS, not the Max.

I'm on the fence about it as I stated in another thread, but I wanted to know how others are feeling about it.

I do have it already and am just wondering.
Was it worth it?

Last edited:

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I went from the X to the Xs max.

The camera upgrade is particularly impressive and I’m loving the bigger screen.

But if the camera isn’t important to you, I’d wait another year.

Reactions: TheFlash2020

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
I was not planning on upgrading, but I wanted to switch from AT&T to Verizon and after realizing the way Verizon structures their plans, I would actually save money with Verizon, I decided to finally make the move. Part of that meant that in order to get all of Verizon's network I had two switch out of an AT&T iPhone X into a Verizon iPhone, so I did.

All that said, I am pleasantly surprised. The phone is snappier and the camera is significantly better. However, had I not need to swap phones for network compatibility, I would not have upgraded. While the XS is clearly better, it is not so much better that I would be jumping at the chance of spending the money to upgrade.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
I just upgraded from X to Xs Max yesterday.

The camera is notably good. It is also smoother and speedier.

But the phone feels big? I feel that I need a bigger pocket or my phone is going to fall out. May be I got too used to the X?

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
I upgraded to the Max for the screen size. Other than that it seems the exact same phone. So I wouldn’t upgrade an iPhone X to a 5.8 in iPhone XS, unless you really really need to have the camera improvements. The X is a monster of a phone already.

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I got the iPhone Max, even though I already had 2 iPhone X (one personal and one business related). I wanted the bigger screen last year. The new phone (size wise) reminds me of the iPhone 7 Plus I had a while back. Thus far, I am pleased with my purchase.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I would love to know what others think of the upgrade from the X to the XS.

I'm on the fence about it as I stated in another thread, but I wanted to know how others are feeling about it.

Was it worth it?
I would keep your current X and upgrade next year. I saw the XS/XS Max last night at Apple. Because I have a 5S personal use and an 8 Plus work phone, the X seemed small. If you have the money, upgrade. If you're still questioning it, I'd stick with the X. Is it the camera on the XS you're after? I wish Apple still sold that X at a lower price point now that the XS and XS Max has been unveiled. I would snatch one up.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
The camera is noticeably better and FaceID seems to work more quickly and smoothly compared to my partner’s iPhone X. Apart from that, you’d be very hard pressed to notice a difference.

For anybody coming from a touchID device, the upgrade feels enormous. I haven’t had this much of a “new phone buzz” with any previous iPhone upgrades - including 4S to 6. If you have a X, unless the camera enhancements (which I truly believe are the most noticeable incremental improvements between two generations we’ve ever seen) are something you’re really looking for, stand still and wait for next year.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I think it really comes down to you. I like new phones every year so it’s worth it to me. Everyone places worth/value on different things. I am not a frivolous spender. Sometimes there are more differences year over year and sometimes not. Do what makes you happy.

Reactions: DougFNJ

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I just upgraded from X to Xs Max yesterday.

The camera is notably good. It is also smoother and speedier.

But the phone feels big? I feel that I need a bigger pocket or my phone is going to fall out. May be I got too used to the X?

Just give it a week or so and you’ll get acclimated to the bigger size. You’ll then feel like your X is tiny.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
I would love to know what others think of the upgrade from the X to the XS, not the Max.

Was it worth it?
Not worth to upgrade from X to Xs due to insignificant internal improvements. No physical changes.
[doublepost=1537729652][/doublepost]
The XS and X are basically the same phone. Get a Max or stick with the X.
Second this.
[doublepost=1537729727][/doublepost]
I got the iPhone Max, even though I already had 2 iPhone X (one personal and one business related). I wanted the bigger screen last year. The new phone (size wise) reminds me of the iPhone 7 Plus I had a while back. Thus far, I am pleased with my purchase.
@METOO

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
I went from an X to and XS and the one thing I notice is how fast it is. It's sharp. Maybe it's because it's new, but it's noticably quicker imho

Mad4clay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Minnesota
So I returned my XS gold and got the MAX in silver and now I’m happy with that. Never had a big one before so this is new territory for me.

Last edited:

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
The OP specifically said he wanted to hear from XS owners and NOT MAX owners. What about that is so hard to understand?

I went from an X to an XS and it was mainly for better low light photos. I haven’t been disappointed. The XS blows away the X. I also like the much louder speakers. I like to listen to podcasts in the bathroom when I take a shower. The XS is the first phone I’ve had that could get loud enough to hear when my shower was running.
[doublepost=1538521679][/doublepost]
Just give it a week or so and you’ll get acclimated to the bigger size. You’ll then feel like your X is tiny.

My pants pockets ain’t getting any bigger in a week.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014

Was it worth it?

No. Don't waste your money. I had the XS and returned it after giving it a fair shake. It's just not worth it if you own a X. It's an attractive upgrade for people with older devices, but not the X.

Smallest "S" upgrade yet (perhaps due to more diminishing returns or less new compelling features vs other "S" models?)

Every other "S" model received similar updates...better camera, better internals, better wifi and cellular speeds....but the XS comparatively is so small. No new standout features, vs. what prior models received...like video camera, siri/dual core, touch ID/64-bit, 3D touch/4k vid, wireless charging ("8" ~ "7s")

Most importantly, the way you use your phone vs the X is identical. The user experience is identical. There's nothing different. The cameras are better sure, but they are not significantly better nor are they worth the price difference you'll end up paying.

Also, a 15% CPU enhancement is nothing relative to the prior gen, and the A11 is still miles beyond the competition in terms of processing power. Pretty much every prior "S" model more or less doubled the performance in the CPU and GPU (or 7x GPU in the 4s vs 4 case!) vs the prior model. The XS is marginal in this area. Even the 50% GPU enhancement will not take advantage of any apps in real world ways that matter to 99.99% of the population, and by the time a more demanding app is widespread for that GPU power, several generations of GPU will have come and gone. The A10 in the iPhone 7/7+ still beasts through everything on the app store, as does the A9 in the SE/6s/6s+ for the overwhelming majority of graphics intensive apps. Still.

TL;DR - No, don't waste your money. The XS is really meant for people who have the iPhone 7 or older, and want to upgrade from those devices.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.