iPhone X: Torch/Flashlight Button on Home Screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Knightcastle, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Knightcastle, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017

Knightcastle macrumors 6502

Knightcastle

I can understand the camera, but why is the torch/flashlight button constantly on the home screen for the X?

Do we think this will be customisable? I seldom use this function. Maybe the Phone app would have been better?

[​IMG]

2. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

Torch button?

Oh I suspect you’re in the UK and you mean what we in US call the flashlight.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

OP means the flashlight. It is a good question, I wonder if it is customizable. But I find myself frequently using this when I least expect it.

4. Diorama macrumors 6502a

5. Knightcastle thread starter macrumors 6502

Knightcastle

It would be really clever if this button changed depending on what the phone sensed around it (i.e if you pulled it out at night/in low light you were offered the flashlight, if you pulled it out in the car you were offered maps, etc.)

6. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

It may just be the fact that text loses a large part of the emotional nature of communication compared to speech, but that sounds rather condescending. Just remember who gave you the language you over-simplify :p.

On topic, all the images I've seen of the lock screen depict that button in the lower-left. I think it's a great move, and I imagine they've added it because Control Centre on the X requires reaching up to the top corner and swiping down, which is far less convenient than on iPhones prior. Particularly for one-handed use.

7. Knightcastle thread starter macrumors 6502

Knightcastle

I've edited this for clarity, cheers

8. Ralfi macrumors 68020

Ralfi

I'd say it'll be customisable. Apple are moving in that direction (Control Centre etc.) so hopefully the torch can be replaced.

Man it irks me when someone pushes their supposed superiority based simply on a word.

What a waste of an arrogant post. How about answering the question instead, superhero.

9. Knightcastle thread starter macrumors 6502

Knightcastle

10. fokmik macrumors 68030

i hope those customisable or not but I HOPE are 3d touch....if they are only touch, oh my god, in our pockets would be a problem right?

11. Jimpilot, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017

Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

And we thank you for it and the extra day off we get every year! ;)
    --- Post Merged, Oct 22, 2017 ---

Sorry you took it that way. It was actually two posts combined, I first asked what he meant and then when I realized added the flashlight explanation. Nothing superior about it. Just confusion on my part. Thanks for being so understanding.

12. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

I do love America but I think I’d struggle to live there. Some of the nicest people I’ve ever met and remain friends with are American.

You damn ungrateful colonials ;)

13. Mr.C macrumors 601

I hope it's customisable too as I very rarely use the torch function.

14. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Those look ugly. I wish you can just get rid of them altogether. That’s what the control center is for.

15. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes