iPhone X Unlocking from a desk

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheAnimal, Sep 19, 2017.

1. TheAnimal macrumors member

Realllly want the X. Only thing stopping me is that I work at a desk all day and frequently unlock my phone while it's flat on the desk. With X, the only way to do that would be to hover my face over the phone or use a passcode and what's the point then.... Any thoughts?

2. Rayban macrumors 6502

Rayban

You may need to change your habits. Last year I switched to a Google Pixel and I absolutely HAVE to pick up the phone to unlock or just use passcode. I've gotten accustomed to it but I'm looking forward to switching back to iPhone with the X.

3. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

no way to know the reach of FaceID just yet. if you want to see notifications you can still tap the screen to wake. if you're going to use your phone well then you obviously will be picking it up anyways.

4. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Every phone can't meet the needs of every unique scenario. You will get used to it. Or you have plenty of other options.

5. pakupakuman macrumors member

pakupakuman

Or you can use a little stand to place it on. I borrowed a Wii U stand for my 7+ and it works great at the office desk.

6. TheAnimal thread starter macrumors member

No, I often use it flat on the desk without picking it up. It would be nice if I could unlock my iPhone with my Watch like I do with my MacBook, but alas, they haven't brought that feature to iOS yet.

7. Mildredop macrumors 68020

But the new iPhone removes a function that every previous iPhone (and all other smartphone that I know of) have.

8. TheAnimal thread starter macrumors member

Stand isn't really my style... but a good idea!

9. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Like I said, there's 2 options. Change or choose another phone. The 8/8 Plus are brand new and have this function.

10. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

You don't have to hover over it. Tap to wake, look at it, swipe up. If you are able to look at your screen and use it, then the Face ID is able to recognize you and unlock. If the phone is too far away or at an angle that it can't recognize you, then you will unlikely be able to use the phone in that same position. Other option is to not get an X.

11. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

Well, I plan to just do a reverse pratfall right into my desk. This will take some practice but I think I can master it by the time my iPhone X arrives. Okay, I'm sorry but I just couldn't resist.

On the serious side, I'd probably use a stand. I use one any way.

12. TheAnimal thread starter macrumors member

Not correct. Face ID will work from multiple angles and distances when a device is held at a natural angle, but it needs to see your face."It's quite similar to the ranges you'd be at if you put your phone in front facing camera mode [to take a picture]," says Federighi. Once your space from eyes to mouth come into view that would be the matching range - it can work at fairly extreme angles -- if it's down low because your phone is in your lap it can unlock it as long as it can see those features. Basically, If you're using your phone across a natural series of angles it can unlock it." (https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/15/craig-federighi-face-id-interview/)

I tested it. I was able to unlock and use it while it was flat on my desk, but the camera was not seeing any part of my face. Just the ceiling.

13. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Good to know! Works for me.