iPhone X iPhone X upgrade to iPhone 11 Pro - remaining payments and trade-in?

linus2787

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Apologies if this has been covered in another thread, I haven’t seen it anywhere...

I enrolled in the IUP with the 7+, then upgraded to the X but skipped the XS. Last year when I was planning on potentially getting the XS at launch I would have been forced to pay the remaining payments on the X. The X came out in October of that year, a month later than normal.

So my main question is what is my position this year? The website says,
“If everything checks out, we credit your original payment method and you’re all done. And if you pay using Apple iPhone Payments, the trade-in value is credited up front toward your monthly payment amount.

If there’s any remaining amount, we’ll send you an Apple Store Gift Card by email.”

That is honestly very confusing. When I go through the IUP page and check my eligibility, all it says is that I am eligible and gives me the prompt to pre-register with the app.

Any idea on this situation? I assume I’m not the only one...

Thanks!

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
I spoke to Apple this morning about this. You need to pay off the X if you want to trade it in. If you do the IUP to get the 11, then you don’t need to pay off the X.

I preordered via IUP, but am second guessing myself and considering paying off and trading in my X instead.

What did you end up doing?

linus2787

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Thanks for the response. Haven't ordered one yet but heard the same thing as you. I am thinking about trading in my X after I make the last payment, then maybe just paying for Applecare separately. Going to a new IUP program will be a higher monthly payment.

Another thing I was worried about was the possibility of upgrading next year, which might only be possible with the IUP? Lots of mixed messaging this year...

I spoke to Apple this morning about this. You need to pay off the X if you want to trade it in. If you do the IUP to get the 11, then you don’t need to pay off the X.

I preordered via IUP, but am second guessing myself and considering paying off and trading in my X instead.

What did you end up doing?

lsh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
I traded in an X this year not realizing that I was in apple iphone financing, not IUP.
I figure if I want to upgrade next year, I just need to pay off the phone early. That’s better deal since I would have paid more than half with the $400 trade in and 12 months payments.