iPhone X useable screen size less than expected

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by psymac, Sep 12, 2017.

1. psymac macrumors 6502

Looks like the actual useable screen size is actually less than one would expect, given Apple UI guidelines found here.

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/fall2017/801/

Developers have to move elements from both top and bottom for various reasons, taking away from screen size. Seems to suggest not as much of an upgrade as it looks and relatively poor value.

2. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

Paid shill fanbot brain cells less than expected, approaching absolute zero.

3. luigi408 macrumors 6502

Relax kid. This is good info. I want to know how much screen real estate we get. Plus, if videos are cut off by the ugly notch.

4. az431 macrumors 65816

az431

What you posted makes zero sense, especially since the page you linked to support your conclusion states “more space to display content.”

Please explain.

5. psymac thread starter macrumors 6502

From m
    From my viewing of the UI video, iPhone X has 'safe margins' which reduce useable screen size, and more than one would expect give actual screen real estate. Multiple examples shown in the video, very disappointing, here is just one example:

Attached Files:

6. Skoal macrumors 65816

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I don't have a problem with that, as Apple set the safe areas to prevent overlap of the elements. It might bother those who use landscape all the time, (in the beginning) but I am not one of those people.

8. Susurs macrumors 6502a

Susurs

So the width of the display is the same as 7 or 8, but it’s physically taller.
    Hmm...I wonder what it would feel like shifting from 7 Plus screen...

9. lancastor macrumors 6502a

I don‘t like that home indicator is always visible.