iPhone X iPhone X vs. Galaxy S9 vs Pixel 2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by krause734, Mar 3, 2018.

1. krause734 macrumors 6502a

krause734

First impressions (trying to be objective)
    1. iPhone - best OS, don't like Face ID or notch, stuck to iTunes
    2. Galaxy - best hardware, pricey for an inferior OS
    3. Pixel - integrated with Google w/ no Android bloatware, least aesthetic

2. Eduardboon macrumors 6502

"inferior OS", that's objectively very subjective.

Anyway, I agree, subjectively. iOS is great, but I like the aesthetics of the S9 better (Watched some youtube on it in-store and holy **** is it better than on my iPhone X, I guess I like the punchy colours, who would've known). The pixel is just an ugly phone in my opinion.

3. raqball macrumors 68000

raqball

2. Best hardware? hahahahahahhahahaha...

Benchmarks have the A11 Bionic in the X demolishing the SD 845 in the S9.

4. MrHopsing macrumors newbie

MrHopsing

I think you got the first two wrong.
    1. Best OS? Without multitasking support? Is this a joke? Or is it the best OS since they implement unicode emojis first? iPhone's hardware is actually the most powerful of the three, the A11 is a beast, too bad you can't utilize it to the fullest. Can't even see my battery percentage without swiping down control centre, and talking of control centre, toggling wifi and bluetooth doesn't even turn it off, it just disconnects. Huge empty space at the top and the bottom instead of utilizing the large screen.

2. I'm planning on getting this one, but because of the features of a Galaxy device (Scroll screenshot, smart select, advanced multitasking options, app pairing, app specific audio, etc). If I was looking for stock Android I would choose the Pixel. Best design of the 3 phones, no huge camera bump so it doesn't wobble on the table and still sporting an FP sensor and headphone jack. Software updates will be better now with Project Teble support.

3. Best phone if you look for the iPhone equivalent in an Android world. Fast software updates, no extras and great Google implementations. Still lacking wireless charging though and not exactly aesthetically pleasing.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Recent reports were showing impressive numbers with A11. Its difficult to Compete against the ‘A’ Series architecture from Apple. Most users will never even come close to utilizing the true power of the A11 chip.

6. raqball macrumors 68000

raqball

True that most will never notice and I was only responding to the better hardware on the S9 comment.

http://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-x-a11-bionic-vs-galaxy-s9-snapdragon-845-benchmarks-leaked-again/

The SD 845 got owned!

The screen might be slightly better on the S9 if someone digs the cartoonish colors that Samsung offers and I am sure the cameras will be very close to each other..

Saying the S9 has better hardware is a serious stretch....

7. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

They will. How do you think Face ID works? Or portrait lightning? Or advanced AR stuff? These things wouldn’t run on previous CPUs. Loading apps or scrolling is what people think of when they talk about mobile CPUs, but the real reason why A11 is important is because of all those behind the scenes things that happen. Like recognizing the 3D mesh of your face.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 3, 2018 ---
    iOS has excellent multitasking and memory management Android can only dream of.

Disconnecting wifi/bt is a feature I prefer. I want to disconnect from wifi and yet I want wifi to run so that I can use Airdrop or location assistance.

Also, iOS has the best apps by far. That alone puts it above Android.

8. sean000 macrumors 65816

sean000

While you can debate hardware, software, and aesthetics all weekend long, all three of these are good choices. You just need to go with the one that ticks the most boxes for you. Or try them out side by side and buy the one that gives you the best feelz.

BTW: most iPhone X users really like FaceID. I think it’s better than TouchID, so don’t let that scare you off. And iTunes? I don’t like it much either, so years ago I stopped using it. I backup to iCloud.

9. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

IMO the biggest thing the iPhone has over the other two is the ability to admin it with a Mac. I despise having to use my Windows laptop for anything.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

You misunderstood what I was indicating about performance with iPhones, it wasn’t just about the AR/Animoji’s/Face ID. Elaborating further, Every single year iPhones increasingly become more powerful, but that doesn’t necessarily translate differently how to somebody’s using their iPhone that they were previously from before from similar tasks (i.e. Social media, photo’s, Safari, gaming applications). For example, Even the A9 processor that is an iPhone 6s/SE is very powerful given how the average consumer Likely wouldn’t take full of advantage of what the A9 is capabale given its age of being almost three years old.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 3, 2018 ---
    I have an S8 for work phone, I have not obviously used the S9. I would say Samsung’s hardware is much better than what it used to be years ago, but the iPhone has always had solid construction with the aluminum they used over the years and even with the iPhone X with the stainless bands, glass backing, really sets the phone apart.

Cameras are fairly close in comparison today where I don’t think many consumers can tell a large difference between performance both Samsung and Apple, being the results are very similar in producing excellent photos.

Regarding Apples displays, even though the OLED panel from the iPhone X is manufactured from Samsung, Apple calibrated and tunes their own displays to their specifications. That’s what makes them unique on their own.

11. maerz001 macrumors 6502a

maerz001

Hmmm. Please ask a iPhone 6/6+ owner and report back...

12. Ffosse macrumors 65816

I'm sure I stated here or perhaps somewhere else that I have stopped reading reviews for Android phones as I am never going to use one again, and I can happily eschew stuff like processor/system specs.

It's going to save me some time, too as I used to subscribe to Android podcasts. If I'm caught in a bubble of perhaps 14% of all phone users then it's still a pretty big bubble.

Genuinely I no longer care what Sony, LG, and particularly Samsung are doing with their phones. The S8 was gimped from the start and I lost money on that phone.

13. MrHopsing macrumors newbie

MrHopsing

I must've missed the memo, how can I multitask on my iPhone X again? I would love to watch a video in a browser while I still read an article on the lower half of my phone.
    And memory management is not top on iOS compared to other Android devices these days, if you watch speed tests on YouTube the iPhone actually falls behind, because it has to refresh apps more often than the Android competitor (So much for the A11, right?). I notice this all the time, because when I multitask and have written stuff in one app and go do something else, when I head back it refreshes and what I've written is gone.

If I wanted wifi and bluetooth to stay on for using Airdrop I wouldn't have turned it off in the first place. But if that's how you prefer the control centre, then I guess that's good for you. For me personally I think it defeats the purpose of the control centre controls if it doesn't do as it would indicate. It feels like I want to turn a car off by switching the key, but the car keeps on running in case I want to drive to the store later.

Memory management Android can only dream of?

14. aevan, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018

aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

I meant that A11 performance allows things like Face ID that customers do take advantage of. Customers may not notice speed in apps, but they sure notice all the new things this speed allows. For example, one the reasons why Galaxy S9 doesn’t have a secure facial scanning like X is, among other things, because its CPU isn’t powerful enough for it. No one really cares if the apps open 0.5s quicker, but faster CPUs allow for new, advanced features.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 4, 2018 ---
    The only thing that video shows is how a 3Gb iOS device is keeping up with a 6Gb (!!) Android device. I’d say that’s some really good memory management. One Android can only dream of, yes.

15. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I’m also willing to believe that many average iPhone consumers have no idea the A11 Bionic processor how it has any type of contribution to Face ID,/augmented reality. My point was and is, I don’t think the speed of iPhones incrementally That improves every year translates into that much of a different experience for those who don’t understand the more technical specifications in an iPhone. I think average consumers just wants to use their phones how they think it should work and based on what they do Understand, but they don’t allegedly care about the technicalities of machine learning processes, A11 bionic processors, coprocessors etc.

16. MrHopsing macrumors newbie

MrHopsing

But isn't the point of iOS devices not to care about specs because it is just supposed to work? Is the iPhone X bottlenecked by the 3 GB of RAM thanks to Apples "profit margins"? Because the A11 chip is the king of mobile SoC, beating all competitors with a pretty high margin, except in real-world usage or certain scenarios like shown in the video.

Here's another example of a two year old Samsung device keeping up with the X, even though the X scores double in benchmarks. Is Samsung "lagwiz" more optimized than iOS 11?

17. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

If there’s a switch to turn something off it should do just that. Turn it off.

I suppose if your TV had an off switch but it didn’t actually turn it off incase you wanted to watch some football later you’d be fine with that?

How about the cooker, the off switch doesn’t actually turn it off because you’ll probably want to cook dinner later. So if you want to actually switch it off you have to go into another room, open a cupboard and switch off the whole gas supply.

Or would it be handier to, I don’t know, have the off switch turn it off.

I get that you prefer Apple. 99% of the people here do, it’s an apple forum but defending that is sheer ridiculousness. Why bother to have a toggle to turn WiFi and Bluetooth off when they don’t actually do that.

18. Hernan4651 macrumors newbie

Hernan4651

All 3 are very good .
    But better hardware? Samsung, of course. Open up the Iphone X

19. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Apple integrates so much better than anybody else and a big reason why i will always have it as my daily driver. Love my Apple products

However google are kind of becoming more like Apple in how they run things. Pure android is a far better experience than touchwiz imo.

Pixel are awesome phones and pixel 3 could be close to the iPhone X in looks and features.

20. BugeyeSTI macrumors 65816

BugeyeSTI

And here’s an example of an iPhone 7+ easily outperforming the note 8. See how that works.... You can post YouTube videos all you want, real world performance is what counts. The X works fine for me.

21. MrHopsing macrumors newbie

MrHopsing

I couldn't agree more with real world performance is what counts, and thats what frustrates me. Because how come my iPhone X refreshes apps more often than my older S7 did when multitasking? And I tried to post videos from unbiased sources, and not a YouTube account named "EverythingApplePro".

22. BugeyeSTI macrumors 65816

BugeyeSTI

That was the first video that came up. He also has an Android channel so he isn’t just an Apple parrot. Really doesn’t matter, plenty of videos showing 7+ besting note 8. Ram management in iOS 11 is awful and that’s the real problem. For some reason, Apple has screwed up something they were always know to be superior for. Ios 10 had amazing ram management compared to iOS 11. Hopefully iOS 12 will bring that back, I’ve given up with it improving in iOS 11.

23. MrHopsing macrumors newbie

MrHopsing

Which he last uploaded a video to in 2016. There sure is, and there's videos showing vice versa. Anyways, in my personal experience I found my iPhone X to refresh apps more often than my older S7. Maybe iOS 12 will fix this, maybe not, maybe it's because Apple didn't go for higher RAM capacity. Good thing we live at a time where technology is rapidly evolving and we can get devices that fit our individual needs.

24. raqball macrumors 68000

raqball

Here is another.. In this one the X beats the Note 8

25. StellarVixen macrumors member

StellarVixen

Samsung is great device, which, unfortunately runs Android. And I broke all connections with Google months ago when I finally made an iCloud e-mail, and terminated all Gmail accounts. Nothing is ever gonna draw me to that company again. Nothing. So, when Samsung makes a phone with OS other than Google's, I will be very happy to try it.

So to make myself clear, if smartphones were more like x86 devices, where you have pretty broad choices for whatever OS you want, I would buy Samsung. It is a nice device, not gonna lie.