Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I love my iPhone X, but I also like saving $ more than spending on luxuries. The Pixel 2 is on sale for $599. I have time to return my X up until January 2018. FaceID is great, the processor is speedy, the screen is superb, camera is amazing, and the quick charge is nice.

The Pixel 2 has a nice screen, 2 year warranty, dual speakers, the best camera, quick charge out of the box, 4gb RAM, a high end processor, 3 years of updates, water resistance, Google Assistant, a FP sensor, always on display, fastest updates possible, etc.

I had to come out of retirement to compare these devices. The $ would be nice since I don't need the Apple Watch anymore and also save the $ in the difference between the X and Pixel 2. I prefer iOS tbh, but I rather not get a 6S, 7, 8 type of device either. Pixel could do more for me. Thoughts? Thanks. Merry Christmas as well.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
I wouldn't go for an X again. Would be end up a 7 or 8.

I’ve been in the same boat as you. I’ve been wanting to save money and switch back to Android but I don’t see it happening. Every time I try I want to back to iOS. And then I end up spending a ton of money to go back so it saves me money in the short run but screws me in the long run. If you prefer iOS but want to save money, get a regular 8. Still a great phone and considerably cheaper than what you’re using.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I’ve been in the same boat as you. I’ve been wanting to save money and switch back to Android but I don’t see it happening. Every time I try I want to back to iOS. And then I end up spending a ton of money to go back so it saves me money in the short run but screws me in the long run. If you prefer iOS but want to save money, get a regular 8. Still a great phone and considerably cheaper than what you’re using.

But at the same time, $600 difference between an X with Series 1 Apple Watch vs just going Pixel 2 and using my Moto 360.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
But at the same time, $600 difference between an X with Series 1 Apple Watch vs just going Pixel 2 and using my Moto 360.

Oh I completely understand that. I’m seriously in the same boat. Looking at selling an Apple TV 4, iPad Pro 10.5, returning an iPhone X vs. a Chromecast/Roku combo ($100 cheaper than the Apple TV), Chromebook Pro, and Google Pixel 2. All in all it’s about a $600-700 difference for me. But by the same token, if I decide I don’t like it, I’ll have to eat some of that money and sell my Google stuff to buy back my Apple gear and eat even more money.

Reactions: timeconsumer

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
If you prefer iOS more, stick to the iPhone X. Simple as that. Why bother using a platform you don't prefer as much?

If you prefer to save more money and you're OS agnostic, then it's ok to get the Pixel 2.

It's about what would you rather have? Platform you prefer OR more money back in your pocket and don't care which OS you have?

I personally would get Pixel 2 and may never buy another iPhone again. For you, it could be different and tolerable.

Apple sped up obsolescence and your X becomes more worthless to smart buyers after two years or less. Apple tarnished their legacy for good on me. Their next move could be to prevent ever seeing battery cycle info.

Apple will never ever give their users options. Communism.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
If you prefer iOS more, stick to the iPhone X. Simple as that. Why bother using a platform you don't prefer as much?

If you prefer to save more money and you're OS agnostic, then it's ok to get the Pixel 2.

It's about what would you rather have? Platform you prefer OR more money back in your pocket and don't care which OS you have?

I personally would get Pixel 2 and may never buy another iPhone again. For you, it could be different and tolerable.

Apple sped up obsolescence and your X becomes more worthless to smart buyers after two years or less. Apple tarnished their legacy for good on me. Their next move could be to prevent ever seeing battery cycle info.

Apple will never ever give their users options. Communism.

Prefer iOS, but can use Android as well. Going to see options soon. Ordered a Pixel 2 to try but going to see it at Verizon Store at some point to see if it’s worth a buy.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I currently have an iPhone X and have just picked up a small sized Pixel 2 which I have been using over the last few days.

Comparing the phones has given me a right headache. Before the X, I would have always said that I like Android devices more, but that isn't really the case. I love the X, and it has made me appreciate using Apples phones again.

What's annoying is, now I have used the Pixel 2 a few days, I could easily get rid of any other phone and use this as my only device. It's so good. Camera, size, hardware is understated but actually really nice, screen is very good on smaller model, all the things you've already pointed out. Fast charging out the box, security updates and comfort knowing you will be getting the OS updates before anyone else.

But when I pick my X up again, it leaves me in a predicament as I actually love that device too.
And not for the usual 'ecosystem' / 'imessage' thing that people enjoy about iPhones.
It's more just the hardware is so spot on,the screen is gorgeous and even though iOS 11 has some quirks and is a little buggy, I find it easy to use. Too easy really, which is probably why I let my eye wander back to Android and the Pixel 2 because I like the customisation and the freedom of it.

I also finally understood Face ID after moving back to a phone with a fingerprint reader. As much as I like fingerprint readers for various reasons, having face id work when it works is pretty magical.

I will also say that I find typing on a Pixel 2 to be a pretty terrible experience. I make so many mistakes on this keyboard despite playing with the heights and having it take up almost half of the screen.

I still can't decide but I haven't touched my X in almost 48 hours now so I may stick my SIM card back in there and run with that for the next few days to see how I get on with it. If I'm honest, now that I have been using the Pixel 2 for 2 days straight I know I could use this phone and be very satisfied at how it works for me.
It's a really tough call for anyone on the fence between these two. Sorry if this hasn't helped at all but I guess it gives an insight into why I'm so torn!

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I currently have an iPhone X and have just picked up a small sized Pixel 2 which I have been using over the last few days.

Comparing the phones has given me a right headache. Before the X, I would have always said that I like Android devices more, but that isn't really the case. I love the X, and it has made me appreciate using Apples phones again.

What's annoying is, now I have used the Pixel 2 a few days, I could easily get rid of any other phone and use this as my only device. It's so good. Camera, size, hardware is understated but actually really nice, screen is very good on smaller model, all the things you've already pointed out. Fast charging out the box, security updates and comfort knowing you will be getting the OS updates before anyone else.

But when I pick my X up again, it leaves me in a predicament as I actually love that device too.
And not for the usual 'ecosystem' / 'imessage' thing that people enjoy about iPhones.
It's more just the hardware is so spot on,the screen is gorgeous and even though iOS 11 has some quirks and is a little buggy, I find it easy to use. Too easy really, which is probably why I let my eye wander back to Android and the Pixel 2 because I like the customisation and the freedom of it.

I also finally understood Face ID after moving back to a phone with a fingerprint reader. As much as I like fingerprint readers for various reasons, having face id work when it works is pretty magical.

I will also say that I find typing on a Pixel 2 to be a pretty terrible experience. I make so many mistakes on this keyboard despite playing with the heights and having it take up almost half of the screen.

I still can't decide but I haven't touched my X in almost 48 hours now so I may stick my SIM card back in there and run with that for the next few days to see how I get on with it. If I'm honest, now that I have been using the Pixel 2 for 2 days straight I know I could use this phone and be very satisfied at how it works for me.
It's a really tough call for anyone on the fence between these two. Sorry if this hasn't helped at all but I guess it gives an insight into why I'm so torn!
see why i have so many phones now? I can't decide either so I end up keep several! :)
I use one phone and miss something the other phone does better or prefer more. I go back and forth and just end up using several phones :oops:

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I ended up getting the 8+ for a Christmas gift, so I will go ahead and use that instead.

All I am giving up is Face ID, vertical dual cameras, animojis (never use those), HDR10/Dolby certified OLED screen, a slim body profile, TrueDepth Camera Sensors, gestures, front facing portrait lighting/portrait mode, 18:9 aspect ratio, gesture controls.

What I get is Touch ID, dual cameras w/ same capacity, LCD panel with TrueTone & Wide Gamuts, same processor, same amount of RAM, quick charge, wireless charge.

Will really miss the X big time, but the financial difference is outstanding enough to make it worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
see why i have so many phones now? I can't decide either so I end up keep several! :)
I use one phone and miss something the other phone does better or prefer more. I go back and forth and just end up using several phones :oops:
Like I said before, you’re my brother from another mother!

I still find myself missing my HTC 10 as a daily driver. But I do also remember why it lost that role.

As for the Pixel 2vs IPhone X decision, well if the quality control issues aren’t a concern, no iMessage dependence or Apple Watch compatibility, the value for the money is a compelling proposition in favor of the Pixel 2.

I’m not ready to give up iOS to go to Android yet because I am dependent on iMessage and Apple Watch. But I’m straddling the line between the two platforms to see where things go. Apple has rattled my confidence and almost screwed over a very good friend of mine due to throttle-gate. If the news had not broken when it did, she’d have thought she needed to upgrade phones before she really wanted to push that into her budget. But Google has rattled my confidence with dodgy QC on their hardware. And I have some issues with Samsung service. I’m in a fun and fascinating prolonged wait and see mode. Each year when picking a daily driver it’s a matter of weighing the prevailing pros and cons in front of the consumer at that moment in time when the money is available. And priorities are different for everyone so there’s no one size fits all solution for us.

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
I had a Pixel 2 for 2 days and returned it for an X. There was several things I liked about it such as SMS color customization and the Led notifications, always on display.... But unfortunately I’m not a fan of Google Photos as my main device photo app and the phone just overall felt cheap both software and hardware wise to me. In the end the X just worked better for me in my needs.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I had a Pixel 2 for 2 days and returned it for an X. There was several things I liked about it such as SMS color customization and the Led notifications, always on display.... But unfortunately I’m not a fan of Google Photos as my main device photo app and the phone just overall felt cheap both software and hardware wise to me. In the end the X just worked better for me in my needs.
I did miss having either my Samsung Gallery App or my iOS photos when faced with having only Google Photos onboard. However I think I don’t fully utilize the actual potential and capabilities of Google Photos, judging from what I’ve read of other people’s comments on Google Photos. I need to read up more and see what I’m missing.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Like I said before, you’re my brother from another mother!

I still find myself missing my HTC 10 as a daily driver. But I do also remember why it lost that role.

As for the Pixel 2vs IPhone X decision, well if the quality control issues aren’t a concern, no iMessage dependence or Apple Watch compatibility, the value for the money is a compelling proposition in favor of the Pixel 2.

I’m not ready to give up iOS to go to Android yet because I am dependent on iMessage and Apple Watch. But I’m straddling the line between the two platforms to see where things go. Apple has rattled my confidence and almost screwed over a very good friend of mine due to throttle-gate. If the news had not broken when it did, she’d have thought she needed to upgrade phones before she really wanted to push that into her budget. But Google has rattled my confidence with dodgy QC on their hardware. And I have some issues with Samsung service. I’m in a fun and fascinating prolonged wait and see mode. Each year when picking a daily driver it’s a matter of weighing the prevailing pros and cons in front of the consumer at that moment in time when the money is available. And priorities are different for everyone so there’s no one size fits all solution for us.

Assuming, If I had the choice between a Pixel 2 + cash or iPhone 8+, would be a tough decision, but the 8+ is good for me since it has the X specs more or less without the X pricing. Xmas solved everything haha. Feel blessed too.
[doublepost=1514411675][/doublepost]

Notification LEDs are so under-appreciated. I also miss the predictive dialing function as well. Not a fan of Google's SMS app to begin with. Since it allows you to reply from the lockscreen, it's instantly better than Samsung's stock app on the S8/S8+/Note 8. I wish I had an AOD on the 8+ or X. Google Photos is good for storage and very little else. Google's Camera app is also lacking too. If it wasn't for the iOS 11 bugs, I would say iOS is really more polished in 2017.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Assuming, If I had the choice between a Pixel 2 + cash or iPhone 8+, would be a tough decision, but the 8+ is good for me since it has the X specs more or less without the X pricing. Xmas solved everything haha. Feel blessed too.
[doublepost=1514411675][/doublepost]

Notification LEDs are so under-appreciated. I also miss the predictive dialing function as well. Not a fan of Google's SMS app to begin with. Since it allows you to reply from the lockscreen, it's instantly better than Samsung's stock app on the S8/S8+/Note 8. I wish I had an AOD on the 8+ or X. Google Photos is good for storage and very little else. Google's Camera app is also lacking too. If it wasn't for the iOS 11 bugs, I would say iOS is really more polished in 2017.
I like and need having the OIS on the zoom lens on the X. Other than that, I would honestly prefer to the the 8 Plus because I think the display on the 8 Plus is more friendly to the eyes and the battery life is much better.

Reactions: nviz22

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
I did miss having either my Samsung Gallery App or my iOS photos when faced with having only Google Photos onboard. However I think I don’t fully utilize the actual potential and capabilities of Google Photos, judging from what I’ve read of other people’s comments on Google Photos. I need to read up more and see what I’m missing.

My main issue was I tweet lots of photos on Twitter. On IOS I just put the photos into albums and can easily pull up the albums and pick what photos I want to tweet quickly and easily.

With Google Photos being the default Pixel photo app I would make my own albums but they wouldn’t show up on Twitter to easily select from, it would have a ton of albums like several thousand of them I think sorted by date with strange number sequences. But the albums I made I couldn’t select from, it would take forever to scroll and find the photos I wanted to post, drove me nuts, lol.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I like and need having the OIS on the zoom lens on the X. Other than that, I would honestly prefer to the the 8 Plus because I think the display on the 8 Plus is more friendly to the eyes and the battery life is much better.

Haven't taken photos with my 8+ yet since just got it last night. OIS in both lenses would've been nice, but I guess Apple needed something else to tout its X cameras besides Animojis.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I don’t think I could give up the X in any scenario. It’s just too fabulous.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Haven't taken photos with my 8+ yet since just got it last night. OIS in both lenses would've been nice, but I guess Apple needed something else to tout its X cameras besides Animojis.
That’s what frustrates me about Apple. They are adept at corralling us into the most expensive option. I use the zoom lens a lot, because I take pictures of animals, both wild ones and feral cats that spook easily or my own pets that get distracted from doing cute things if I cut in too close with my camera. The light isn’t always optimal so having that OIS on the zoom has been such a gift. But really I would have been happy to have the 8 Plus. I don’t need Face ID. I would have liked the lower cost and better battery life and the best LCD display on iPhones ever.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
That’s what frustrates me about Apple. They are adept at corralling us into the most expensive option. I use the zoom lens a lot, because I take pictures of animals, both wild ones and feral cats that spook easily or my own pets that get distracted from doing cute things if I cut in too close with my camera. The light isn’t always optimal so having that OIS on the zoom has been such a gift. But really I would have been happy to have the 8 Plus. I don’t need Face ID. I would have liked the lower cost and better battery life and the best LCD display on iPhones ever.

I prefer the X to begin with. If cost wasn't a factor, would say it is the best device possible since Face ID can make up for sweaty fingers. OIS in both will help many. Battery life is decent on the X in my experience. The OLED screen is very nice. Body feels very premium and Galaxy-esque.

But side by side? The 8+ screen isn't noticeably worse enough to complain about since the resolution difference is 1080p vs 1125p. OLED with HDR at such a small size isn't noticeable. It will be on a big flat panel though. Internals are too similar so I can expect similar performance from now until a couple years from now lawsuits aside.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I prefer the X to begin with. If cost wasn't a factor, would say it is the best device possible since Face ID can make up for sweaty fingers. OIS in both will help many. Battery life is decent on the X in my experience. The OLED screen is very nice. Body feels very premium and Galaxy-esque.

But side by side? The 8+ screen isn't noticeably worse enough to complain about since the resolution difference is 1080p vs 1125p. OLED with HDR at such a small size isn't noticeable. It will be on a big flat panel though. Internals are too similar so I can expect similar performance from now until a couple years from now lawsuits aside.
The reason I wish I could have gotten the 8 Plus LCD is that the pulse width modulation flicker on my X’s OLED display makes my eyes feel gritty and sore when I try to read my ebooks on it. I still have to keep my S8+ or IPhone 7 Plus charged up and ready to go for ebook reading. I can use the display fine for texting and being on this forum. Even though it looks like I practically live on MacRumors I actually don’t end up staring nonstop at the posts. I’m multitasking usually, when I’m here. I do something, check posts, do more somethings, check posts. Today it’s freezing cold out and I’ve been sick for a week with a lung infection so I’m sitting around doing nothing but forum surfing. But that’s not my usual deal. Anyway, today I’m on my iPad because forum surfing like this on my X would make for sore eyes in about half an hour.

I decided to stick with the X because I can still just pick up my 7Plus for reading. I’m sacrificing one utility in order to get the OIS on the second lens. And I do have a little bit of resentment about the fact this is the case. It’s just human nature. I don’t really believe, though, that Apple withheld OIS from the second lens on the 8 Plus to corral us into the X. Not when I really stop to think about it. The X has a very large lens protrusion and has the room to accommodate the dual OIS. I don’t think they could have fit that into the 8 Plus chassis after all.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I still can't make my mind up between the devices.
I think my problem is I could happily get by with either .so therefore the sensible thing to do would be to keep the Pixel 2 and sell the X and get a tidy bit of cash in my back pocket from it.

But then I pick the X up again and it's just gorgeous. It's the best iPhone ever made in my opinion and I like it better than any iPhone I had before, even the 5C which was always my favourite. I loved me those colours. :D

I am really struggling to commit to one and it's beginning to drive me insane. Every night I tell myself I'll make the decision tomorrow and the next day I get no further forward.

I think if I'm honest with myself, for my personal phone useage the X is the better fit. I have AlrPods which just obviously work better with iPhones. I Instagram a lot (I have two accounts that I run) and live stories are Mich higher quality with iPhone's and I WhatsApp all day. That requires a good typing experience and good emoji haha. The iPhone bests the Pixel in both of those.

Pixel is giving me a better camera and better price. The way I look at it is the Pixel is affordable enough to repurchase on the future if I want. The X is not and likely will not be ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.