iPhone X vs. iPhone 8 and 8 Plus: Display Sizes, Cameras, Battery Life, Face ID vs. Touch ID

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. MrGuder macrumors 68020

When will the iPhone X appear in the refurbished store? Lol

2. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

Not really.
    I get to stick with the best iPhone for me...
    AND I don't have to spend a grand on a new phone.
    I'm the lucky one!

3. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

If I was just on the verge of affording the X I'd buy an 8 and get an Apple Watch.

4. AndyDiamond macrumors regular

AndyDiamond

yup that was big typo - 4K at 60fps is great and you should get ultra smooth 1080p with 240fps.

5. anticipate macrumors regular

The X is an elongated 6/7/8 screen. In that link above it is shown clearly. The Plus's screen is wider when portrait and taller when horizontal.

6. AndreaCristiano macrumors newbie

AndreaCristiano

I don’t know what all the griping is about from multiple posts about CC being in top right corner I can easily reach while holding my phone past the top of my iPhone 7 with my thumb to scroll down and the X won’t be that much taller.

7. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

And that makes the X a tougher sell. I like the width of the Plus. The height isn't always great but the width makes for easy typing and lots of readable space. I am concerned the X will feel cramped width wise. I get that when I use friends non-Plus phones and I don't have particularly large hands or anything that really dictate the largest of screens.

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I definitely found that jarring on videos. I'm hoping there's some way to change that in settings to view fullscreen video and photos TO the notch, but not into it. Otherwise, I loved everything about the phone aside from the extra $200 and two months to wait.

9. manu chao macrumors 603

• iPhone X: 2436-by-1125 at 458 dpi means 5.32" x 2.46", or 135.1 x 62.4 mm = 8428.8 mm² minus notch and corners. The notch appears to be roughly 5 x 35 mm, reducing overall screen size to 8256 mm².
    • iPhone 6/7/8 Plus: 1920-by-1080-pixel at 401 ppi means 4.79" x 2.69", or 121.6 x 68.4 mm = 8319.6 mm²
    The Plus iPhone thus still has the largest screen in total area if you take the notch into account.

10. justinpe, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

justinpe macrumors newbie

justinpe

Just doing some basic math and using this site (http://screen-size.info), I was able to determine that the iPhone 8+ (16:9 aspect ratio at 5.5" diagonally) is roughly 12.96 sq. in. The iPhone X (18:9 aspect ratio at 5.8" diagonally) is roughly 13.52 sq. in. I would venture to guess that they have about the same amount of screen real estate after you account for the rounded corners and camera cutout on the 10.

EDIT: The above commenter's calculations are more accurate. Without accounting for the cutout and rounded corners on the iPhone X, the sq. in. of each device are:
    iPhone X: 13.09 sq. in.
    iPhone 8+: 12.89 sq. in.
    If you account for the rounded corners and camera cutout, the iPhone 8+ will have slightly more screen real estate.

11. manu chao macrumors 603

Compared to the iPhone SE, based on geometry alone, the iPhone X camera has a better low light performance by 1.5 stops (eg, same IQ for a shutter speed that is almost a third as short, ie, for the same IQ instead of 1/10 s you could use 1/28 s), add the image stabilisation (adding another factor of 3x) and for static subjects you get low light image quality improvements of up to three stops.

I take a camera bump for a three-stop improvement in image quality.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Note that the 5.8" diagonally is the real measurement taking into account the rounded corners. If the corners where not rounded the diagonal would be about 5.95". As I said above, the camera notch alone brings the iPhone X screen size very slightly below the iPhone 6/7/8 Plus size (subtracting the rounded corners further reduces the effective screen size).

12. hunter.cortez macrumors newbie

That is not necessarily true. Neither of the phones is satisfying enough. My phone is due for upgrade and I had my money ready to get the iPhone X, but it is not compelling enough for me to buy. No Touch ID which I heavily relied on, no home button, no gold color option, stainless sides look really outdated, the notch is a pain, and preorder is still 6 weeks away. I'll preorder the iP8+ because it has everything I need, and it has nothing to do with money. I'll probably get the second generation of the OLED iPhone when it comes out.

What I'm trying to say is that Apple put their customers in a weird position; an underwhelming iPhone X and a slightly bumped iPhone 7 (aka iPhone 8). If there was a third "perfect" iPhone that is more expensive than those two, I would've bought it in a sec.

13. backontwo macrumors newbie

backontwo

Regarding wireless charging, I keep seeing “such as...” in reference to the new charging pads, but it’s supposed to work on any Qi charger, right?

14. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Because not everyone has huge hands? Usability much?

15. MacknTosh macrumors member

I think that's Sophie's choice (2 bad options) rather than Hobson's choice (take it or leave it)....

16. Mactendo macrumors 68000

Maybe this will help a little:
    iPhones side by side.jpg
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Plus screen is a bit wider, but X screen is much taller.

17. Mactendo macrumors 68000

X screen width is in-between 8 and 8 Plus. See the image above.

iPhone X screen is taller than Plus screen.

18. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

Thanks for posting that.

19. Cloudkicker macrumors regular

Cloudkicker

A solid message to those annoying head-in-the-sand deniers (not you, Shaun UK) to LISTEN to the damn rumors on THIS site.

• Rumor: Apple will ditch the headphone jack in the next phone.
    "It's just a rumor. Apple wouldn't do that. Settle down."

• Rumor: Apple will ditch Touch ID because they can't technically fit under screen.
    "(see above)"

• Rumor: Apple will have a notch in the top.
    "(see above)"

Moral to this story: A shame some diehards can't take reality when the tidal wave of rumors seem to be flow that way. Apple makes bad decisions. It's better for you to more likely accept it than dismiss it & think Apple will pull a rabbit out of its hat.

Attached Files:

20. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

While it may not be the "premium" phone, I'm excited for the iPhone 8.

That notch and the lane at the bottom of all apps just kept my attend during the entire keynote, but I'm sure I'd adjust. Still, I don't like those HUGE screen even if the phone itself is smaller. I love the refined glass design and am super excited.

21. tennisproha macrumors 6502a

Like I said, current iPhone. iOS 11 isn't out yet.

22. CatalinApple, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017

CatalinApple macrumors member

CatalinApple

If you would have kept your iPhone 6 for one more year, it was worth the upgrade to iPhone X. I have a feeling that other manufactures will get rid of the 3.5mm jack and fingerprint sensor in the future. I prefer to not have a Touch ID if it's not underneath the screen. If they would have placed it on the back of the iPhone I would have gone mad. It looks like facial recognition is the future.

23. ke-iron macrumors 6502a

Not anymore in iOS 11.

24. Memaddog macrumors newbie

I didn't like that either, but found out it's optional. You only get the overlap if you enlarge a video. The default is actually inside bar. Watch this hands-on demo to see what I mean.

25. Healz macrumors newbie

But, then you end up reducing the effective screen size to something smaller than that of the iPhone 8 Plus - benefit lost. That fact and the removal of the Touch ID sensor helped me decide to go with the iPhone 8 Plus instead. I still haven't gotten over the removal of the headphone jack on my iPhone 7 Plus. The removal of yet another practical feature disappoints me. If I want to look at my phone in the middle of the night without removing it from the charger, I can no longer reach over and unlock it with my fInger; I would have to remove it from the cradle and stare at it. Sounds trivial, but a big deal when you're half asleep.