Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
florida
Spent the day with a buddy of mine today at top golf. Wrote the colors are so vivid and rich on his phone and my X was so dull in comparison it was a day and night difference.

Anyone else notice this? Why is this? Will Apple move to the better screens this year?

Reactions: woodekm and dk001

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
In general Apple goes for accurate colours while Samsung likes vivid colours. So Samsung will look "better" and less washed out, but it is really a contrast boost. Your TV likely has a setting to boost colours as well. Since Apple currently buys OLED screens from Samsung they could also have the vivid colours if they wanted, there is no "better" screen to move to.

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
You can easily play around with color settings (under Settings>General>Accessibility>Display Accommodations>Color Filters) and increase contrast and brightness to 100% and it will look almost exactly as that Samsung's display. However, colors won't be accurate/natural, and the battery will run out much faster.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Not just the note 8, Samsung defaults all their screens’ tone to a very saturated setting. Users can set it back to a standard setting, which I do all the time.

Apple doesn’t offer the option.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Will Apple move to the better screens this year?

Let's remember, "Better" is always subjective based on what you see and what someone else sees. Apples calibration is different from Samsungs. However, I don't Forsee any major display changes for the 2018 iPhone X, which uses Samsungs OLED panels. Although, it's been rumored that LG will supply the 6.5 iPhone display.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Spent the day with a buddy of mine today at top golf. Wrote the colors are so vivid and rich on his phone and my X was so dull in comparison it was a day and night difference.

Anyone else notice this? Why is this? Will Apple move to the better screens this year?

That is Apples idea of a good screen I’m afraid, remember Samsung makes the X screen but it’s to Apples specifications and calibration, so no it will not change this year unless Apple change their calibration settings.

Personally I think the Note 8 is great but also hugely over saturated by default. Apples is also great and a lot more natural looking which I prefer.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015

All of the Galaxy smartphones AMOLED panels are set to adaptive with extreme over saturation and inaccurate colors. While eye catching and vibrant at first glance, if he would have set his display on the Note 8 to basic it would have looked similar to the iPhone X’s display, just without the class leading color accuracy.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
As was mentioned above, I believe that Samsung tends to go for more bright vivid colours while Apple favours more “accurate” colours. Which is better is a matter of personal preference.

Reactions: 1rottenapple

TopShelf

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2017
I'm sorry but there is nothing dull about the iphone x's screen. You can't get a better screen than what apple has. LG might be making the X plus screens but thats about it.

I completely disagree.

I own the Samsung s8 plus and the note 8 and the iphone X, the note 8 and s8 are much better screens, and that's not my personal preference, because I like my iphone x the most of the three.

photo quality on screen? Iphone x
Watching movies, samsung hands down
watching netflix, samsung.

I know those are just a few examples, but I'd be wrong to say the iphone x has a better screen than the samsung.

We can debate what phone is "better" but Id have a hard time trying to debate why I think a screen (iphone) with so much lag can be the best phone

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I completely disagree.

I own the Samsung s8 plus and the note 8 and the iphone X, the note 8 and s8 are much better screens, and that's not my personal preference, because I like my iphone x the most of the three.

photo quality on screen? Iphone x
Watching movies, samsung hands down
watching netflix, samsung.

I know those are just a few examples, but I'd be wrong to say the iphone x has a better screen than the samsung.

We can debate what phone is "better" but Id have a hard time trying to debate why I think a screen (iphone) with so much lag can be the best phone
as mentioned above they are the same screens samsung just choose to allow different colours on their displays to bring out the brightness more and make the colours look like that. Screen quailty wise there is't a difference it's the colours contrast that the two companies allow is what makes it look different

lag? I've never had a iphone that has lagged. Samsung on the other hand are known for it due to TW

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Try browsing the ios11 section of the forums. You are in denial if you want to say iPhone has no lag.
Generally iphones don't lag. Issues with any lag would be beta or IOS 11 related sure but generally iphones do not lag over time like samsung devices do. Samsung devices tend to lag after 3-4 months of use. Luckily that seems to be not as much the case anymore but history has shown they have lagged badly over the years.

I can't be in denial about something that doesn't happen and my iphones have never had lag.

although note 8 seems to be lag free and performance wise this is the best samsung phone ever.

TopShelf

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2017
Owning both phones, I can say that the iphone lags and when compared to the note 8, I notice it more.
Yes, if I just had the iphone, I may not notice it.

As I said, I enjoy my iphone x but anytime I pickup a note 8, I can't tell myself the iphone x screen is better, or even equal.

Same screen or not, different colors, whatever it is or isn't, the note 8 and S8 and S8 plus have better screens. Its just how it is.

A simple test is to use stock settings on a samsung phone and stock settings on an iphone and turn on netflix or even youtube. I can't see why someone would prefer to watch something on the iphone, just based on the video comparisons.
I feel thats a very fair test, because most phone owners just text, web scroll or watch videos.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Owning both phones, I can say that the iphone lags and when compared to the note 8, I notice it more.
Yes, if I just had the iphone, I may not notice it.

As I said, I enjoy my iphone x but anytime I pickup a note 8, I can't tell myself the iphone x screen is better, or even equal.

Same screen or not, different colors, whatever it is or isn't, the note 8 and S8 and S8 plus have better screens. Its just how it is.

A simple test is to use stock settings on a samsung phone and stock settings on an iphone and turn on netflix or even youtube. I can't see why someone would prefer to watch something on the iphone, just based on the video comparisons.
I feel thats a very fair test, because most phone owners just text, web scroll or watch videos.

That simple test won’t suffice. The X has the better AMOLED panel, but not by much. http://displaymate.com/iPhoneX_ShootOut_1a.htm

TopShelf

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2017
That simple test won’t suffice. The X has the better AMOLED panel, but not by much. http://displaymate.com/iPhoneX_ShootOut_1a.htm

Of course it will suffice, I just took one thought and used it as an example.

Majority of people know the Samsung screens are better and I was just using an example that anyone could just pop in and try.

Maybe if I never saw a note 8 before I would check out that link to try and persuade me that the iphone has the best screen on the market, but Ive seen it with my own eyes

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia

This was discussed here ad nauseam, in short what you consider better is highly subjective and I, personally, consider garish and oversaturated. I prefer the X and iPhone LCD look to Samsung OLEDs that are kitsch in my opinion. So, no, I don’t think it is better and Apple will not move to more saturated screens this year.
[doublepost=1516580630][/doublepost]
the note 8 and S8 and S8 plus have better screens. Its just how it is.

If you prefer this type of look. For me and my taste, iPhone X, and even iPhone 8, have better screens. It’s just how it is.

Also, they have objectively higher sustained brightness, better pentile arrangements, more natural colors and are more resistant to burn in. Maybe Samsung catches up with S9?
[doublepost=1516580834][/doublepost]
as mentioned above they are the same screens

No, completely different design and specs. Samsung just produced it in their factories, just like they produced certain A9 chips. It’s Apple’s design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.