Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ribbon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
I just noticed that when setting a picture as wallpaper the image losses quality. The image is a PNG 2436x1125, and what I do is ping out to eliminate the zoom and make sure to select "Still" instead of "Perspective". Even so, the image does lose quality (and it's darker, but I know this is something iOS does).

Any way to avoid this? Should the wallpaper have a different size?

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
About it getting darker. Didn't Apple fix that in some version of iOS 10 and now all of a sudden it's getting darker again? Really annoying.

I don't really have an answer except that I've noticed the same thing for some wallpapers. It depends on the content. Apples wallpapers always look good (which is one of the reason people want apple to release new ones all the time). Maybe they are doing some sort of compression when you set it, I'm not sure. Pictures with real life objects and landscapes look good since you can't really notice slight compression on that. But simple vector wallpapers with single colors will look worse compared to the one in your photo library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.