iPhone X - What network for UK&US sim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rogan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. rogan macrumors regular

When I got my 6 I had to order a it on a specific network for it to work with both a US and a UK sim card (I have both UK and US sims as I spend equal amounts of time in both countries)

Do i need to do the same for the X? If so on which network do I need to order the X? (from the US)

Also is it still that the iPhones bought on networks you are free to use any other sim like it was before? I don't need to 'unlock' it?

Thanks

2. stormchasejg macrumors regular

stormchasejg

If I remember correctly the X is a world phone meaning both the GSM and CDMA models will work in both UK & US. I think the AT&T or T-Mobile version will definitely work in the UK as it’s GSM, I don’t know how it works with the CDMA Verizon models and international usage (I’m from the UK where CDMA doesn’t exist).

Regarding unlocking I’m not sure how that works in the US with contracts

3. rogan thread starter macrumors regular

are you saying I cant just preorder the X on t-mobile then on launch day at full price, and use my existing sims?

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

The T-Mobile X will not work on Verizon or Sprint. It is GSM only. It is fine for AT&T, UK etc.

5. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

So, you didn't pay attention to which model you ordered when you ordered your 6 then? (you don't remember if it was the Verizon or the AT&T one?) :)

The difference is pretty simple. Verizon & Sprint still have some CDMA towers, so they'll have the Qualcomm modem. The AT&T and T-Mobile phones are GSM, so they'll have the Intel modem. The Qualcomm modem performs better. (at least the ones in prior versions have...we'll see if the one in the X from Intel is peppier or not).

Look on the specs page and check for the frequencies that your carrier in the UK uses in their network. (but you likely also want the one with the most US frequencies for your carrier as well) :)

https://www.apple.com/ca/iphone-x/specs/

btw...the term "World Phone" was originally coined by the CDMA carriers when they had GSM radios included in their phones so they could roam on GSM networks around the world (as CDMA was only utilized by about 1% of the carriers). GSM phones pretty much always had an extended number of frequencies so they could work globally.

6. stormchasejg macrumors regular

stormchasejg

If you purchase a t-mobile one then you should be able to just put your own existing sim into the device and it should just work
    --- Post Merged, Oct 19, 2017 ---
    The T-Mobile iPhone is an unlocked sim free model according to Apple
    20839B1B-CBD1-4E14-B001-9C665961068C.png

7. bufffilm, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Most likely you have the GSM phone which would be A1905/1897 for the ip8/+ or the A1901 for the ipX.

Get the TMobile phone and you will be fine.

Side-note: because Apple isn't supporting band 71 with any of the 2017 iPhones and band 71 is going to be a big part to TMobile future strategy... this is just another reason, on top of everything else, to skip the ipX this year.

Or didn't you know this? :D :D :D

People really -don't- know how limited this ipX really is! Sucker for all the ipX buyers.