iPhone X will no longer use the 30-pin dock connector!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    It's not a matter of IF, but WHEN. Apple WILL remove the 30-pin dock connector from the iPhone.

Apple hates cords and loves simplifying things. We already are PC-free, we already have airplay for music/movie streaming. The next step is cordless charging, which is already in the works. Obviously the iPhone 5 still will have it... but I doubt the iPhone 50 will. So when do you think?

My random, for fun, prediction is that the iPhone will be completely cord free by...........

iPhone 7! What is your prediction?

2. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

I think we are closer to the introduction of the iPhone than we are to a dock-connector-less model. I would be surprised if it's in the next 5 years.

3. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

I can see the 30-pin connector going sooner or later, for a smaller port or something of the sort. But for charging purposes, a wired connection is not going anywhere, anytime soon. Yes, advancements are being made on wireless charging, but we are years away from wireless charging being an industry standard, and Apple won't screw themselves by putting a port less phone out if wireless charging is not 100% dependable.

4. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I don't think it's going anywhere soon. There's a huge third-party infrastructure that uses the dock connector, and any model that eschews it would be incompatible with loads of old hardware.

That's not to say Apple won't do it eventually, but not for a while. I'd also expect them to drop it from the iPod nano or something first, to give those 3rd party people a hint to move to the new, wireless model.

6. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

cordless charging? that's pre-1900's technology.

Seriously though there is no point for it, apple likes to be green and energy efficient, that and fair pricing.

Wireless energies cost a lot of money, take up a lot of space, and are not as efficient.

Not impossible it was done and invented over 100 years ago :D