Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iasix

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2016
Hi guys,

I've used the search but couldn't find an answer and hope you can help me.

I'm from Europe, but live in the US this year. I move back to Europe at the end of November.

I have an ATT GoPhone simcard. When registering for that, I didn't have to provide my SSN (I do have one).

Now if I want to preorder the iPhone X, I need to enter the last 4 digits of my SSN in order to verify my ATT account. When I enter '0000' it doesn't work. When I enter the actual last 4 digits of my SSN it also doesn't work.

What to do? Can I just go to Verizon (I'd prefer the GSM + CDMA version) and get a contract for just 1 month? I don't mind paying a few bucks if that means that I can get it at launch.

Thanks!

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
If you are using a prepaid carrier or prepaid plan, you are not actually with ATT for the purpose of buying phones. Your only option is to buy the iphone outright. If you want a launch day phone, you would need to buy the t-mobile variant for full price.

Getoffmeluckycharms

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2017
Kansas, y'all
You're trying to preorder with a non postpaid account. You can't, that's why it's asking you to verify your account. You could preorder a SIM free version,I do believe that's an option.

iasix

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2016
^ the sim free version isn't available for the iPhone X unfortunately.

Reactions: protoxx

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Who will post the first pic of a Cricket iPhone X?

Probably would be me, but I am trying out simple mobile because of the Amazon Prime discount. I am shocked that I actually am getting better service on the t-mobile towers vs ATT.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
The 8/8+ surprised me with having SIM Free models available at launch for pre-order. But if the X is as in demand as expected with limited availability, it probably won't be for some time.

Without having a T-Mobile postpaid account, it may be difficult to preorder too.

iasix

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2016
^ why? Doesn't ask for login details if you buy the T-mobile variant full price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.