iPhone x with prepaid sim card

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iasix, Oct 9, 2017.

1. iasix macrumors member

Hi guys,

I've used the search but couldn't find an answer and hope you can help me.

I'm from Europe, but live in the US this year. I move back to Europe at the end of November.

I have an ATT GoPhone simcard. When registering for that, I didn't have to provide my SSN (I do have one).

Now if I want to preorder the iPhone X, I need to enter the last 4 digits of my SSN in order to verify my ATT account. When I enter '0000' it doesn't work. When I enter the actual last 4 digits of my SSN it also doesn't work.

What to do? Can I just go to Verizon (I'd prefer the GSM + CDMA version) and get a contract for just 1 month? I don't mind paying a few bucks if that means that I can get it at launch.

Thanks!

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

If you are using a prepaid carrier or prepaid plan, you are not actually with ATT for the purpose of buying phones. Your only option is to buy the iphone outright. If you want a launch day phone, you would need to buy the t-mobile variant for full price.

3. Getoffmeluckycharms macrumors newbie

Getoffmeluckycharms

You're trying to preorder with a non postpaid account. You can't, that's why it's asking you to verify your account. You could preorder a SIM free version,I do believe that's an option.

4. iasix thread starter macrumors member

^ the sim free version isn't available for the iPhone X unfortunately.

5. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

As @mattopotamus has already stated, you can buy T-mo iPhone at full price, it's unlocked and works on both T-mo and AT&T

6. iasix thread starter macrumors member

7. FunkyTang, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017

FunkyTang macrumors 6502a

Who will post the first pic of a Cricket iPhone X?

I always wanted a Cricket iPhone.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Probably would be me, but I am trying out simple mobile because of the Amazon Prime discount. I am shocked that I actually am getting better service on the t-mobile towers vs ATT.

9. Getoffmeluckycharms macrumors newbie

Getoffmeluckycharms

That's easy to do though. Just get an AT&T iPhone X and throw in a Cricket sim. It'll come right up as cricket uses AT&T towers. TL;DR any ATT phone will accept a Cricket sim.

10. kevink2 macrumors 65816

The 8/8+ surprised me with having SIM Free models available at launch for pre-order. But if the X is as in demand as expected with limited availability, it probably won't be for some time.

Without having a T-Mobile postpaid account, it may be difficult to preorder too.

11. iasix thread starter macrumors member

^ why? Doesn't ask for login details if you buy the T-mobile variant full price.