Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jabar18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
I'm at my wits end here. Perhaps someone else has had this issue

Using a sim-free iPhone X. Noticed a few weeks ago that my iPhone X would sporadically display the wrong time in the top left corner. I'd be on a phone call, and the time (AM/PM, not the time of the phone call) would be wrong, and when I'd end the call it would change to the correct time.

Sometimes when I'd open apps, it would happen during the opening animation, and then switch back after about a second or two to the correct app.

Now I've been able to replicate it to where I can make this bug happen. I open settings, use the touch bar on the screen to move the settings window up, like I'm about to put it in multi-tasking mode to close the settings app, and hold it. The time in the top left window will go to the incorrect time, and then switch back after a second or two.

It's always a different incorrect time. I've had these times show up: 5:36, 12:06, 3:12. I went to the apple store and they told me to erase the phone, download the current software, and then restore from my iTunes backup. They said if that didn't work, then erase the phone, and set it up as new.

Both scenarios didn't work. I re-downloaded the iOS software, and restored from backup. Same issue.
I erased the phone, imported my iCloud data, and re-installed over 70 apps fresh. Same issue.
I went to the apple store today, and they were perplexed, told me that the CPU chip, or whatever chip drives the phone must be bad, and gave me a new phone.

I went home with the new apple replacement phone, restored the phone from the old "new backup" which I'd just created this week. Same issue. That leads me to believe that it's software, and not my old software, because I set up my phone as new, and it was the same issue.

Do people think it could be a bad SIM card? I'm at a loss what to do at this point. It's not something that makes the phone unusable, but it's certainly concerning and annoying to have to deal with.

Jabar18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
Update: new sim card helped...I think. The issue is no longer that the time is incorrect, but that the signal bars indicating my cell service keep changing from zero bars to full power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.