iPhone X iPhone X

Achillias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
Hello guys,

I just got an iPhone X for a couple of weeks but today I find out that the front cam has some dust underneath the front panel. What are the options in the Apple store. I’m a little hesitant to trade a brand new iPhone for a remanufactured iPhone X. I mean I’ve paid for a brand new one I don’t want used parts which has been retested. Anyone who have done the same or with advice on this part.

Can you expect a total new body and screen on a remanufactured iPhone?

Banglazed

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
If you’re within the 2 weeks window, return and repurchase. If after the 2 weeks, does the dust affect the picture/video quality? If not, you can leave it or get a remanufactured iPhone. I have no problem with the remaunufactured since I find them pretty solid and slightly heavier.

Ebok

Suspended
Aug 22, 2018
Yes you paid for a brand new one but if it’s past the 2 week mark then this is your only option.

iPhone replacements look indistinguishable to new iPhones.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Achillias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
But will you get a new body and screen on a remanufactured iPhone X.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Hello guys,

I just got an iPhone X for a couple of weeks but today I find out that the front cam has some dust underneath the front panel. What are the options in the Apple store. I’m a little hesitant to trade a brand new iPhone for a remanufactured iPhone X. I mean I’ve paid for a brand new one I don’t want used parts which has been retested. Anyone who have done the same or with advice on this part.

You can keep your X without accepting a refurbished, Apple can remove the dust, as they are trained to do that by disassembling the phone, then clean behind the camera lens cover area, and yes, they do reseal it accordingly to meet the water resistant standards.

Achillias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
No but it’s so small and I’ve read it’s very common on the iPhone X production. Even swapping it out for a new one would likely have it. I’m not going to bother to trade a brand new phone for a remanufactured one. Going to use this iPhone X at least a couple of months before swapping.

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
Are you talking about the X or the XS? Apple Store no longer sells the X (at least in the U.S and other country, I believe Japan is the only country that still sells them). If you meant XS, then you can certainly return it and buy a new one. The only time you get a remanufactured phone is when you use your warranty through the genius bar.

Achillias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
Are you talking about the X or the XS? Apple Store no longer sells the X (at least in the U.S and other country, I believe Japan is the only country that still sells them). If you meant XS, then you can certainly return it and buy a new one. The only time you get a remanufactured phone is when you use your warranty through the genius bar.
I don’t think you’re right informed. Apple does not sell the iPhone X in their store but they still produce the iPhone X for providers. They are even considering to sell it again in their stores. And they also do have stock for replacement units.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
No but it’s so small and I’ve read it’s very common on the iPhone X production. Even swapping it out for a new one would likely have it. I’m not going to bother to trade a brand new phone for a remanufactured one. Going to use this iPhone X at least a couple of months before swapping.
Again, you do _not_ have to do an exchange. Apple can clean behind the lens cover by dissembling the phone, which would allow you to keep your original device.

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
I don’t think you’re right informed. Apple does not sell the iPhone X in their store but they still produce the iPhone X for providers. They are even considering to sell it again in their stores. And they also do have stock for replacement units.
I'm aware that Apple doesn't sell the iPhone X at their store since the announcement of the XS and XS Max. Also I don't think they produce the iPhone X for their providers (at least in the U.S) and they are just selling whatever they have in their inventory. As for considering to sell it again, this would only be true in Japan and no other places.

As for the replacement units, yes they still do make those for warranty purposes, and they only come in white box with just the device and no other accessories.

Closingracer

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2010
Hello guys,

From my experience the remanufcatuered ones are great. My replacement iPhone 4 was a beast

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hello guys,

Before your “new” iPhone is shipped those parts have been “tested”. So what you may believe something is new ... this late in the product manufacturing cycle is most likely removed components from a net sum failed product x that has working parts retested and removed and reassembled into your “new” iPhone X.

Just remember that Apple is working towards a closed loop supply chain where a LOt of components are reused down to recycling source materials. Aluminum being the very first.

5yrs or less from now it’s very possible a very large sensor for a newer camera is a collection of existing camera sensors all compiled together. Just a thought.
[doublepost=1548044057][/doublepost]
Most likely their doing this within Germany and Anywhere else affected by the current embargo ban from the Qualcomm case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.