iPhone XR iPhone XR 2019 Price

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThatiPhoneKid, May 11, 2019.

1. ThatiPhoneKid macrumors 6502a

what price do you think apple will charge for the iPhone XR 2019 version? Do you think they will keep it the same?

2. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Yes. They will keep the same. Look no further than Apple Watch.

3. Zxxv macrumors 68040

4. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

I suspect that they'll start at $699 this year. The $750 felt a little bit too much and there's a lot of good enough Android phones at around $600.

Hopefully they'll keep the XR around (64GB only, just in black and white?) for $75-50 less (i.e. pushing many people up to the XR2).

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

What exactly will ‘push people up’ to the XR 2? I mean, The hardware changes will likely be very minimal, only adding the dual camera, keeping both the 2018 XR and the 2019 XR seems counterproductive to me, because the cheaper of the two phones that are almost identical, naturally consumers will choose the 2018 XR, which is not what Apple would want.

For example, when Apple introduced the 2017 iPhone X, it was discontinued with the release of the 2018 XS/XS Max, I suspect they might do the same for the 2018 XR.

6. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

1) Apple is getting hammered on its iPhone pricing being too high. Keeping the XR around at the original price will help them there. It’s still going to be a fast and powerful phone in 2020.

2) the rumoured front lens upgrade to 12mp (from the XR’s 7) and the back camera upgrade to a 2 lens system will be a big incentive for people to ‘move up’ to the XR2 given that the camera is one of the single most important features of a smartphone for most people.

7. ksec macrumors 6502a

You are getting an upgraded SoC ( A13 ), Modem ( 7660 ), Better Front Camera, and Dual Lens Camera at the back,
    Basically you are getting the usual upgrade you would expect from an XR successor PLUS additional Lens.

I will bet on the same price, if not even $799.

The only reason it goes $50 higher is to make way for possible 5.5" XR ( Same width as iPhone 8 4.7" ) pricing placement in the $699 slot.

You also need to think in terms of price gap between XS2. If it was lowered to $649/$699 it would be $300 to $400 between iPhone XS. The pricing of XR2 isn't just about selling itself, it is also about pushing group of people towards the XS model, and vice versa for XS2.

I am much more interested though in the iPhone "entry" price. Are we going to see iPhone 8 dropped to $499 and retire iPhone 7? Is iPhone 8 good enough? Or will there be an upgraded iPhone 8 with A13? Replacing the whole lineup with Top notch SoC Performance.

8. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

That's a vote for the same. They won't drop it without introducing a new compromise.

9. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

I think prices are coming down this year. They have the data of how many people are running older devices and chose not to upgrade this year. They pushed the envelope and went too far, which is fine but my guess is the drop ever so slightly.

10. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I think the prices stay the same, but similar to this iteration they will increase trade in values on older iphones, at least in the US

11. TrickyTreeRed macrumors member

TrickyTreeRed

In the US, it will depend on/if any extra tariffs are applied due to the trade dispute with China.

If there are no additional tariffs, it will between $749 and $799 USD. In Canada, it will cost between $1,049 to $1,100 CAD.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Yup. That’s basically what Cook said back in January. He wants to revamp/focus on the trade-in values for the iPhone and store services. Both of which need to be more lucrative to drive the customer in the store. ‘Slightly’ lowering the prices isn’t enough, not when the market is overly saturated as it is now.

13. borntrouble macrumors 6502

borntrouble

Expect the same prices with increased base model storage and a fast charger included.

14. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

Putting a 5 watt slow charging unit inside a $1500 box is a punch to the balls.

15. Relentless Power, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Few things:

#1.)You said $1500 device, that’s the most expensive iPhone with the Max with the highest 512 Gb storage, which is also likely the rarest model most would opt for, considering the XS is actually much cheaper than that with the lower storage models.

2.) I doubt the consumer really cares about a fast charger, I mean, do they even know what a fast charger even is? The way I see it, consumers have access to chargers almost everywhere, in coffee shops, in their cars, homes, workplace, wireless, etc. It’s really not that big of a deal if Apple doesn’t include a fast charger in the box, not when the majority of consumers don’t even know what that is, and even if Apple did include a fast charger, one way or the other, the consumer is paying for it.

Outside of MacRumors, I’ve never met anyone that’s complaining about not having a fast charger, especially when they can be purchased for five dollars separately if they really want it.

16. FFR macrumors 601

FFR

Only if you use it.

Everyone else already has multiple wireless and or fast chargers already plugged in.

17. Mainsail macrumors 65816

XR 2019 will have an A13 chip, better camera, different colors, and may be Apple Pencil support* (long shot). It will be priced at $750. Apple will continue to offer the XR 2018 in only the most popular colors (Black, White, Blue, and Product Red) and will drop the price of the older phone to $650.

*I would think Apple wants as many products as possible to support Apple Pencil, since this would be a nice strategy for increasing sales volume on a high margin accessory.

18. jagolden macrumors 6502a

jagolden

Agree. I use my old 12w iPad Mini charger for Max. Pretty fast.

19. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

I am the consumer, and I do freaking care! It’s darn right disrespectful. Paying $400 you should still get a fast charger. Doesn’t matter, it’s the SLOWEST in the game and shows that they jus don’t give a ****!

20. FFR macrumors 601

FFR

Then why do you keep buying their phones?

21. dazz87 macrumors 65816

dazz87

$749.00 for the 820p screen...$849 for the 1080P screen.