Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LK265

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Berkshire, England
Hello everyone,

Yesterday I received a free upgrade to an iPhone 11, plus a refund (£20 difference).

This is because my phone signal occasionally dropped and would only return after a hard reset.. after speaking with Apple they acknowledged there is a known problem with the XR and O2’s network and so under consumer law in the UK (and EU I believe) they must replace the handset, regardless of warranty.

If anyone else has noticed this issue then please post here and I encourage you to go and ask for your iPhone to be replaced.

Best of luck!
Lucas

Reactions: Aydy

Newjackboy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
Where did you buy the iPhone XR? From o2 or apple?
[automerge]1578345291[/automerge]
And was it on a 24 month contract?

Newjackboy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
How long did you have it?
did they have to escalate or take phone away for testing, or swapped immediately?

LK265

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Berkshire, England
How long did you have it?
did they have to escalate or take phone away for testing, or swapped immediately?
I bought it in November 2018. The employee spoke with his manager and they agreed to upgrade and refund me. No diagnostics were done. Swapped immediately.

alexcantsurf

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2020
I've given it a try and not having quite as straight forward an experience, have had to run diagnostics and perform a restore. Will call back tomorrow to try and press the issue a bit more. I have had the phone for over 6 months however and bought from Sky Mobile (uses the O2 network).

danwestbrook

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
Surrey, UK
Just spent 30 minutes on the online chat and was only offered £5 refund as a good will gesture. I'm really shocked that they aren't doing more as they have no timelines on a fix and we could be facing this issue for weeks.

I also shared this: https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/ In the hope they would recognise there error but just added me to a master list of effected users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.