iPhone XR iphone XR audio issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by robrpb, Nov 21, 2018.

1. robrpb macrumors newbie

I am new to the forum and I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing audio issues too.

I bought the XR and from day 1 I had problems with hearing people on phone calls. It was not just one person, but everyone I spoke with.The sound of their voices was not clear like my iphone 6. My iphone 6 when people were talking to me the sound was crystal clear. I brought the phone to an Apple store and they ran ddiagnostics and the phone failed. They replaced the phone with a new one and I am experiencing the same problem. Even at times people say they have a difficult time hearing me. I don't care what the phone can do, but if the phone calls are not clear it is worthless to me. I am very disappointed with the iphone XR. I should have kept my iphone 6 and saved my money. My question is, is anyone else experiencing audio problems with their XR? Thank you.

2. now i see it macrumors 68040

Until you get it sorted out (return this one too) try using the speakerphone instead. That's the only way people can hear me clearly on my ip6+.

3. robrpb thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't like doing that with others around. Using the speakerphone is a work around. It's called a phone and I think it should work like one, especially for the price.

4. dotme macrumors 6502a

No issues at all with call clarity/audio issues with my XR. If you know anyone else that has one, try theirs on a call. If yours is sub-standard, return that puppy again. Of course this is assuming there isn't a remnant piece of plastic packaging still covering the earpiece.... ;)

5. robrpb thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Whathappened macrumors regular

Mine sounds very different from my old 7, somehow deeper but still better understandable for both sides of a call.
    I definitely like the xr sound better.

7. Tassiecelt macrumors newbie

Tassiecelt

--- Post Merged, Dec 3, 2018 ---
    Glad this was mentioned, I’m not happy with the audio both ways compared to the 6s. I have to be more careful with the position of my ear on the phone, a little this way or that makes a difference and the sound quality is not the best. I do hate using speaker phone with others around, it’s rude.
    I’ve complained to Apple once but no resolution.

8. robrpb thread starter macrumors newbie

Tassiecelt, I am glad I am not alone regarding the poor audio with the iphone XR. From the people I have spoken with that have the XR they say they don't have a problem with the audio. I have people tell me they have a difficult time hearing me and I have to reposition the phone.

Apple has replaced my XR once, but I am still disappointed with the replacement. If you, or anyone else has better success, please let me know and how to rectify the problem. If this continues in the future I will look at other manufacturers. I need a phone to be a phone first. For the money the phone costs, there should be no problems and the audio should be crystal clear.

9. LHnTX macrumors newbie

I thought that it was just me! I went from an iPhone 6+ that I never had any audio issues with to and XR, and I have issues with it every single day. Callers complain that my voice is muffled. The sound is only clear if I hold the microphone directly in front of my mouth, which is not always easy to do. I thought that it might be my case, but different cases have the same issue. The other issue that is driving me nuts is that the call suddenly goes dead for a few seconds where I cannot hear the caller at all. The call is NOT being dropped as their voice comes back after a few seconds. This happens on almost EVERY SINGLE CALL whether I'm in my home office, in my car or anywhere for that matter. I use my phone mostly for business, so this is not acceptable!

10. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

What you describe is not right. My wife has an xr and the calls are clear as day as I've used the phone. Maybe bring it to apple for a diagnostic.

11. rmeadejr macrumors 6502a

rmeadejr

I switched to Sprint and got an XR, voice quality was offer. People kept telling me I sounded like I was talking underwater. Returned it and got an XS Max and problems anymore.

12. Katannern macrumors newbie

Katannern

13. Katannern macrumors newbie

Katannern

Yes..... and we aren’t the only two. One of the doctors at work had his iPhone X replaced for this same reason- he’s had a much better experience with his second attempt. The best way I can hear callers is if I wear earbuds. I’m going to return mine this weekend when I’m in town. I spent over $700 for this phone and it’s my least favorite phone I’ve owned. Facial recognition works sometimes, not a fan. I’d go back to the four if it was available !!!