iPhone XR iPhone XR is SUPER SLOW on LTE (Compared To Older iPhone)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghsNick, Nov 4, 2018.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68030

ghsNick

My wife and I both have Verizon. She has an iPhone 8 Plus and I have the iPhone XR.

I closed all Apps and opened SpeedTest, made sure both phones were connected to LTE with the same signal strength, connected the phones to the same server on SpeedTest...and her phone destroyed mine.

She was constantly getting 40/40 speeds and I was barely at 25/25 speeds. Has anyone else noticed that the XR lacks in speed compared to last years iPhones?

PS - Both phones get 100/100 speeds when connected to WiFi, this only seems to happen on LTE.

2. praterkeith macrumors 6502

praterkeith

My wife’s 7 is faster than my XR. I’m hoping it’s a software issue. If it’s not resolved within my 14 day return period, I might try another device.

3. drewaz macrumors 6502

Xr
    ATT Phoenix
    LTE
    down 82
    up 34

WiFI
    down 119
    up 11

4. threeonthetree macrumors member

My Xr is pretty much the same speed as my Xs Max. Both are slower than my previous iPhones as well.

5. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

I have and 8+ for work and my Xr. They have for the most part always been on par with one another in terms of signal bars. I do notice that the 8+ is more reactive to signal changes, but in speed test and field test they are absolutely right on par, so I am just not worried about it. I've never dropped a call and my phone has only 1 time dropped to 4G and I wasn't the only one in the car that had dropped to 4G as did the 8+.

6. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

7. MrAperture macrumors regular

MrAperture

Maybe it’s the Intel modem that’s inferior to Qualcomm’s.

8. praterkeith macrumors 6502

praterkeith

That’s a legitimate explanation.

9. vince22 macrumors regular

vince22

68C759AA-EC38-459A-BDD2-E7EBE7F55E21.png
    All XR uses intel modem, my XR LTE download speeds is 3x faster than 8 plus.

10. GP-SE macrumors 6502

Does the XR use the same modem as the XS and XS Plus?
    I have an Intel iPhone 8 Plus, I'm thinking of selling it to get the XR, will I have slower speeds, or reception issues with the XR, or will it be faster since it uses a newer modem?

11. dazz87 macrumors 65816

dazz87

all 2018 iphones have crappy intel modem.......

12. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Unless your phone is dropping calls and unable to keep a cell signal etc, I don't see the need to return the phone, just because of results from a few speed tests. Speed tests in and of themselves do not signify a faulty or problematic device.

You can easily stream HD video without buffering at 25mbps. And even if you were streaming video at 40mbps, you wouldn't be able to visually tell that in real time while watching the video.

Download numbers (by themselves) are for tech junkies.

13. GP-SE macrumors 6502

How does it compare to the intel modem in the 8 plus?

14. dazz87 macrumors 65816

dazz87

Same cause I had one with crappy signal.

15. ImAnAgent Suspended

ImAnAgent

Cult of Mac says both phones have the same modems. The XR has 2X2 MIMO whereas the XS models have 4X4 MIMO so that's where the speed increase comes from.

16. DeathBecomesMe macrumors regular

DeathBecomesMe

My Verizon LTE speed is crap and I've never had as many dropped calls on any phone as this XR.

17. Mbyrd220 macrumors newbie

My husband and I just did the buy one XR get one free deal. I was previously using an iPhone 7 Plus. I am noticing that my new XR is noticeably slower than my 2 year old 7 Plus. It also is already having delays when I try to screen shot a picture and text it to someone. The cell service while talking has been spotty everyday since getting the phones 6 days ago. We’ve both experienced dropped calls. The older phones seem better and faster. We are very disappointed and are considering returning them if it weren’t for the $50 restocking fee per phone.

18. now i see it macrumors 68040

My old iPhone 5 tethers almost twice as fast as my ip6+

19. aue123 macrumors member

The XR on verizon is inferior to previous qualcomm models. i’m having to restart the phone once a week because of lost calls

20. souko macrumors regular

How it is for you now? Is it better with newer iOS?

For me it is really bad and I am pissed of with this... I compared Xr to iPhone 6 same place, same LTE band with same carrier, same Wi-Fi, around same time... fullsizeoutput_402a.jpeg fullsizeoutput_402b.jpeg