Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
My wife and I both have Verizon. She has an iPhone 8 Plus and I have the iPhone XR.

I closed all Apps and opened SpeedTest, made sure both phones were connected to LTE with the same signal strength, connected the phones to the same server on SpeedTest...and her phone destroyed mine.

She was constantly getting 40/40 speeds and I was barely at 25/25 speeds. Has anyone else noticed that the XR lacks in speed compared to last years iPhones?

PS - Both phones get 100/100 speeds when connected to WiFi, this only seems to happen on LTE.

Reactions: ymarker

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Montgomery, AL
My wife’s 7 is faster than my XR. I’m hoping it’s a software issue. If it’s not resolved within my 14 day return period, I might try another device.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I have and 8+ for work and my Xr. They have for the most part always been on par with one another in terms of signal bars. I do notice that the 8+ is more reactive to signal changes, but in speed test and field test they are absolutely right on par, so I am just not worried about it. I've never dropped a call and my phone has only 1 time dropped to 4G and I wasn't the only one in the car that had dropped to 4G as did the 8+.

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
68C759AA-EC38-459A-BDD2-E7EBE7F55E21.png
My wife and I both have Verizon. She has an iPhone 8 Plus and I have the iPhone XR.

I closed all Apps and opened SpeedTest, made sure both phones were connected to LTE with the same signal strength, connected the phones to the same server on SpeedTest...and her phone destroyed mine.

She was constantly getting 40/40 speeds and I was barely at 25/25 speeds. Has anyone else noticed that the XR lacks in speed compared to last years iPhones?

PS - Both phones get 100/100 speeds when connected to WiFi, this only seems to happen on LTE.
All XR uses intel modem, my XR LTE download speeds is 3x faster than 8 plus.

GP-SE

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Does the XR use the same modem as the XS and XS Plus?
I have an Intel iPhone 8 Plus, I'm thinking of selling it to get the XR, will I have slower speeds, or reception issues with the XR, or will it be faster since it uses a newer modem?

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Does the XR use the same modem as the XS and XS Plus?
I have an Intel iPhone 8 Plus, I'm thinking of selling it to get the XR, will I have slower speeds, or reception issues with the XR, or will it be faster since it uses a newer modem?
all 2018 iphones have crappy intel modem.......

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Unless your phone is dropping calls and unable to keep a cell signal etc, I don't see the need to return the phone, just because of results from a few speed tests. Speed tests in and of themselves do not signify a faulty or problematic device.

You can easily stream HD video without buffering at 25mbps. And even if you were streaming video at 40mbps, you wouldn't be able to visually tell that in real time while watching the video.

Download numbers (by themselves) are for tech junkies.

ImAnAgent

Suspended
Oct 11, 2018
My mind
Cult of Mac says both phones have the same modems. The XR has 2X2 MIMO whereas the XS models have 4X4 MIMO so that's where the speed increase comes from.

Mbyrd220

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2019
My husband and I just did the buy one XR get one free deal. I was previously using an iPhone 7 Plus. I am noticing that my new XR is noticeably slower than my 2 year old 7 Plus. It also is already having delays when I try to screen shot a picture and text it to someone. The cell service while talking has been spotty everyday since getting the phones 6 days ago. We’ve both experienced dropped calls. The older phones seem better and faster. We are very disappointed and are considering returning them if it weren’t for the $50 restocking fee per phone.

aue123

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2019
Mid west USA
The XR on verizon is inferior to previous qualcomm models. i’m having to restart the phone once a week because of lost calls

souko

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2017
How it is for you now? Is it better with newer iOS?

For me it is really bad and I am pissed of with this... I compared Xr to iPhone 6 same place, same LTE band with same carrier, same Wi-Fi, around same time...
fullsizeoutput_402a.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_402b.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.