Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
I usually switch to a new iPhone model when my old one:

- No longer receives the latest iOS updates.
- Is actually too slow for everyday use.
- (Then there’s battery but it can be replaced).

If the rumor about iPhone XR getting the iOS 18 update is true, I'll probably use mine for another year. In recent months, after the iOS 17 updates, I've noticed some slowness in certain situations, but the phone is still fully usable. The battery health is at 85%.

To other iPhone XR users, are you planning to keep your device longer if it gets the iOS 18 update?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
While iOS 15 didn’t wreck the iPhone 6S, (amazingly)  has a long history of ruining older iPhones that install much newer versions of iOS.
If I were you, I’d wait 6 months after iOS 18 drops before installing it to get any feedback whether it’s slowing down XRs too much.

Reactions: LizKat

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I installed the last version of IOS 16 on my iPad Air 3 (Same A12 and 3 GB RAM as XR), and plan to leave it at that, as it performs fairly well and the battery life is really good (stays on standby for weeks). No way I am installing IOS 18 on this which would probably bring it to its knees.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Happy iPhone Xʀ user on iOS 12 here. I’m not updating, of course.

Beware though... iOS 18 would be pushing it too far probably. Apple’s final versions aren’t great. Battery life will probably be (further) obliterated (it’s already significantly worse than iOS 12), and performance may drop even further (than the current occasional keyboard lag).

Keep in mind that you cannot downgrade, so any update is final. Considering that iOS 18 will probably be the Xʀ’s final update, it’s a significant risk.

Also beware, users tend to blindly say every update is fine, so they aren’t trustworthy in that regard either.

If I were to ask whether or not to update from iOS 12 because I think it will significantly impact battery life, I’ll get a million replies saying “iOS updates don’t reduce battery life, it will be exactly the same”, and that’s utter garbage. Beware.

Last edited:

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
You can replace a battery of an iPhone running a newer iOS version but it will never be as good as when it was on the version it was designed for...

A degraded battery on the original iOS version it was designed for would still be better than a new battery on a newer iOS version...

I have my iPhone 14 Pro Max still running iOS 16.7

Have I not installed block OTA, I would have it updated to 16.7.2

Reactions: FeliApple

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
You can replace a battery of an iPhone running a newer iOS version but it will never be as good as when it was on the version it was designed for...

A degraded battery on the original iOS version it was designed for would still be better than a new battery on a newer iOS version...

I have my iPhone 14 Pro Max still running iOS 16.7

Have I not installed block OTA, I would have it updated to 16.7.2
This is probably the first time ever that I see someone other than myself say this.

Battery health is irrelevant if the device isn’t updated, and replacing the battery on an updated device improves it relative to a degraded battery on an updated device, but it will never match the original iOS version, even if the latter’s battery is extremely “degraded”.

Finally. Some common sense. Best comment I’ve seen in a long while. Cheers!

Reactions: winxmac

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe

If the rumor about iPhone XR getting the iOS 18 update is true, I'll probably use mine for another year. In recent months, after the iOS 17 updates, I've noticed some slowness in certain situations, but the phone is still fully usable. The battery health is at 85%.

To other iPhone XR users, are you planning to keep your device longer if it gets the iOS 18 update?
I don't own an XR or have a user base at work (I manage around 1500 i-devices) but since the XS and 11can handle iOS 17 without any problem and seem to be getting the iOS 18 I'd say it prob will get it.
Now, its going to be interesting to see what route Apple is choosing for older devices and iOS 18, how much added functionality will we be getting and how till it affect performance.
If Apple goes all in on AI and since they are aiming for "on device processing" i'm guessing older devices might get some "light" version of it. But at the same time the neural engine might be much more powerful than we know.

Your XR has decent battery health so I'd say don't install iOS 18 on the first day, stick to 17 and the security updates untill Apple has released a few updates and fresh reviews are around for the older devices.

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I'll keep my XR because I love it but I'm probably not going to put 18 on it. I'm still doing homework on what to get next. I'm not a cam fan so I kinda resent shelling out for better and better camera features as time goes on.

I always buy refurbs and yet now Apple keeps the 13, 14, 15 on the regular store list. I'm not buying a refurb 12, that much I know.

If I could have a nickel for every time I figure "OK just get the 14 and be done with it" I could probablyi upgrade my old iPad mini instead and stagger on with the darn XR.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I'll keep my XR because I love it but I'm probably not going to put 18 on it. I'm still doing homework on what to get next. I'm not a cam fan so I kinda resent shelling out for better and better camera features as time goes on.

I always buy refurbs and yet now Apple keeps the 13, 14, 15 on the regular store list. I'm not buying a refurb 12, that much I know.

If I could have a nickel for every time I figure "OK just get the 14 and be done with it" I could probablyi upgrade my old iPad mini instead and stagger on with the darn XR.
How is your Xʀ running?

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012

even if your XR gets IOS 18 it may not get all the new stuff that it offers like newer phones will the iphone XR will get a more slim down and limited update to IOS 18 with limited new features

Reactions: Reverend Benny

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
Those of you who run old iOS version on your XR, what about security?

Does iOS12 still get security updates?

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Those of you who run old iOS version on your XR, what about security?

Does iOS12 still get security updates?
No, but I don’t want an obliterated iPhone.

It’s the only thing I can do to keep a good device.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
In that vein, nobody is trustworthy then.
You know, this is very interesting, mainly because I have no idea why it happens.

People will say “yeah, my Xʀ on iOS 18 is running fine”. When you press them for details, they’ll say “well, there is a bit of keyboard lag. Battery life is usable, hovering at around 6 hours of SOT with moderate use. Occasionally, the device will lag a little, but it’s mostly negligible...”

After that, here comes the best part, the justification: “...but what do you expect? It’s a six-year-old phone already! You can’t expect it to work like an iPhone 15!”

Is it so difficult to omit the initial garbage and just say: “it mostly works okay. Battery life hovers at around 6 hours with moderate use, and the aspects I’ve noticed - like keyboard lag - are infrequent and not experience-breaking. If I were you, I’d update”.

Why throw garbage around first?

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You know, this is very interesting, mainly because I have no idea why it happens.

People will say “yeah, my Xʀ on iOS 18 is running fine”. When you press them for details, they’ll say “well, there is a bit of keyboard lag. Battery life is usable, hovering at around 6 hours of SOT with moderate use. Occasionally, the device will lag a little, but it’s mostly negligible...”

After that, here comes the best part, the justification: “...but what do you expect? It’s a six-year-old phone already! You can’t expect it to work like an iPhone 15!”

Is it so difficult to omit the initial garbage and just say: “it mostly works okay. Battery life hovers at around 6 hours with moderate use, and the aspects I’ve noticed - like keyboard lag - are infrequent and not experience-breaking. If I were you, I’d update”.

Why throw garbage around first?
People complained about keyboard lag on iOS 12. So what does that prove. In fact, I had links to some of the complaints in prior posts.

Others have stated their A12 Bionic works fine on iOS 16/17. Are they not to be believed when people complained about lag on iOS 12? Where are you drawing the line? And make no mistake, it is your own line and does not represent anyone else.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
How is your Xʀ running?
Like the proverbial top. Zero problems, same as ever. Sunflower yellow helps defeat the winter blues too. Batt capacity 86%. I don't want to upgrade so long as it acts like it was born to run whatever iOS is on it. But I have a feeling 17 might be the last "guest" it will like to accommodate.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
People complained about keyboard lag on iOS 12. So what does that prove. In fact, I had links to some of the complaints in prior posts.
Some temporary thing for some people on some point version of iOS 12... meh. I’ve never experienced that on iOS 12.3.1.
Others have stated their A12 Bionic works fine on iOS 16/17. Are they not to be believed when people complained about lag on iOS 12? Where are you drawing the line? And make no mistake, it is your own line and does not represent anyone else.
Yeah, they aren’t to be believed. Especially when they caveat whatever they say with “well, it’s old”.

Like I’ve always said, people can do whatever they like except litter the information space with misinformation.

I don’t mind if people update. But don’t recommend updating if you’ll say that’s it’s just as good as iOS 12. Give accurate information.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Some temporary thing for some people on some point version of iOS 12... meh. I’ve never experienced that on iOS 12.3.1.
Because you didn’t experience it doesn’t mean it wasn’t a legitimate thing.
Yeah, they aren’t to be believed.
Well, yes they are.
Especially when they caveat whatever they say with “well, it’s old”.
An updated operated system that performs 95% of an alleged “perfect” version with similar battery life is a win-win. More than enough posters have claimed that in order for it to be believed.
Like I’ve always said, people can do whatever they like except litter the information space with misinformation.
Agreed. But if it’s true it’s not misinformation.
I don’t mind if people update. But don’t recommend updating if you’ll say that’s it’s just as good as iOS 12.
It’s better even if it performs slightly less.
Give accurate information.
Make your choices. An outdated o/s with more holes than Swiss cheese or a newer version. But don’t claim you are the arbiter of other peoples opinions.

• Love
Reactions: kitKAC

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Because you didn’t experience it doesn’t mean it wasn’t a legitimate thing.
Nah, it wasn’t. A couple point versions for some people. I’ve been using iOS 12 on the A12 Bionic for 4.5 years and it’s been nothing short of absolute perfection.
Well, yes they are.
No, they caveat the absurd obliteration with “but it’s old”. Nonsense.
An updated operated system that performs 95% of an alleged “perfect” version with similar battery life is a win-win. More than enough posters have claimed that in order for it to be believed.
It’s not 95%, especially in terms of battery life, but you may think that 60% battery life is good enough for you to update, and I won’t disagree with that, you’re free to make that choice.
Agreed. But if it’s true it’s not misinformation.
It isn’t true.
It’s better even if it performs slightly less.
If by slightly you mean 40-50% less in terms of battery life, sure. Performance is probably okay, like I’ve said.
Make your choices. An outdated o/s with more holes than Swiss cheese or a newer version. But don’t claim you are the arbiter of other peoples opinions.
I’m no arbiter. Don’t recommend with garbage posts and I won’t criticize.

“I think updating is worth it, even with a few hours less battery life and some slight performance glitches when compared to iOS 12 because I believe security, features, and app compatibility are worth this loss and battery life is enough for me...”

Is not the garbage post of:

“Just update, it’ll be fine. It’s a six-year-old phone, you can’t expect perfection”.

The first post is the truth, the second one is garbage. And I will say that.

Like I’ve always said, not updating is a difficult choice with many negative consequences. It’s not for everyone. But don’t claim perfection and don’t caveat with garbage posts when recommending. Go with the truth, and I won’t criticise anything.

You know how much I like to stay behind and maintain the device’s original version. I’ve never claimed this is a perfect solution. And I will never do that.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
No, but I don’t want an obliterated iPhone.

It’s the only thing I can do to keep a good device.
So if your iPhone XR running 17.4.1 is going to run like garbage but runs like greased lightning on iOS 12, does that mean if it was possible for my 15PM to run iOS 12 the battery would last for 3 days and make performance on your XR look slow?

Reactions: I7guy and FeliApple

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
So if your iPhone XR running 17.4.1 is going to run like garbage but runs like greased lightning on iOS 12, does that mean if it was possible for my 15PM to run iOS 12 the battery would last for 3 days and make performance on your XR look slow?
You know, that’s an interesting question. Obviously I can’t know for certain, but I believe the answer is no in terms of performance. Battery life? Probably. Earlier iOS versions are less demanding, so if an iPhone 6s Plus can give 10-12 hours of SOT on iOS 9 with an A9 chip for example, and it struggles on iOS 15, I have no reason to believe that if that efficiency were ported to the massive battery in a 15PM, battery life wouldn’t be insanely good. The processor is too good and the battery too large for it to be any other way. Earlier iOS versions are less demanding, like I said: as battery sizes and processors improve, if you install lighter iOS versions then battery life will be better. You can take that argument to the extreme: install iOS 6, have Apple optimize it for the 15PM, and it would be amazing. Like I said, I can’t know for certain, but that’s what I think.

Why is the answer to your performance question “no”? Well, because my iPad Air 5 with an M1 chip on iPadOS 15 isn’t any better than my Xʀ on iOS 12. I have no reason to believe a 15PM would make my flawless, extremely smooth, and impeccable Xʀ on iOS 12 look any slower than my Air 5 on its original iOS version would, and my Air 5… isn’t any smoother, honestly. Both are lightning smooth.

I’m very happy with Apple’s iOS optimization for original iOS versions. Which is why it saddens me to see the impact that updates have. Apple can do better than this.

Last edited:
Reactions: BugeyeSTI

taliz

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2006
Bought my XR when launched 2018, to get faceid.
Im holding out for the new SE with faceid.
Only allowed to buy SE at work so kind of have to wait.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Nah, it wasn’t. A couple point versions for some people. I’ve been using iOS 12 on the A12 Bionic for 4.5 years and it’s been nothing short of absolute perfection.
Rubbish. I don’t believe claims that iOS 12 is perfect given people have reported stuttering.
No, they caveat the absurd obliteration with “but it’s old”. Nonsense.
More rubbish. You can have your opinion burnyouncant provide proof rhese claims are false.
It’s not 95%, especially in terms of battery life, but you may think that 60% battery life is good enough for you to update, and I won’t disagree with that, you’re free to make that choice.
Or could be more than 05%, especially with a new battery.
It isn’t true.
Tis.
If by slightly you mean 40-50% less in terms of battery life, sure. Performance is probably okay, like I’ve said.
No, 5% is slightly.
I’m no arbiter. Don’t recommend with garbage posts and I won’t criticize.
Correct. All you do is discredit without proof. That’s as disingenuous as it gets.
“I think updating is worth it, even with a few hours less battery life and some slight performance glitches when compared to iOS 12 because I believe security, features, and app compatibility are worth this loss and battery life is enough for me...”
Correction. With an a12 I can update an xs max and have a stellar experience.
Is not the garbage post of:

“Just update, it’ll be fine. It’s a six-year-old phone, you can’t expect perfection”.
That is a truism.
The first post is the truth, the second one is garbage. And I will say that.

Like I’ve always said, not updating is a difficult choice with many negative consequences. It’s not for everyone. But don’t claim perfection and don’t caveat with garbage posts when recommending. Go with the truth, and I won’t criticise anything.

You know how much I like to stay behind and maintain the device’s original version. I’ve never claimed this is a perfect solution. And I will never do that.
You also can’t claim those who update will have their devices “obliterated “.

• Love
Reactions: kitKAC

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
I have an XR and I’m running 17.3.1. Originally when I thought iOS18 would be dropping XR support I was planning on getting an iPhone 16 around Black Friday.

But since it now seem iOS18 will support the XR, I will plan on keeping my XR for at least another year. Then get a iPhone 17 or maybe the iPhone 16 at a reduced price. Not sure if I will update to iOS18 on my XR. I will play it by ear. I never update until at least the x.2 release anyhow.

Question about downgrading. Can’t you backup your phone on your existing iOS. Upgrade and test it out, and if you don’t like it. Then restore to the previous backup to effectively downgrade to your previous iOS?

taliz

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2006
Question about downgrading. Can’t you backup your phone on your existing iOS. Upgrade and test it out, and if you don’t like it. Then restore to the previous backup to effectively downgrade to your previous iOS?
It doesn't actually backup the OS, only content and settings.

Reactions: Chuckeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.