iPhone XS Max iPhone XR Portrait vs XS Max

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JPOWA, Oct 23, 2018.

1. JPOWA macrumors regular

Hi

After seen the first reviews of iPhone XR and some portrait shots I feel somehow that, in certain situations, my iPhone XS Max is worst than the XR.
    I know it’s is limited to persons but if I want to take a portrait of a person in low light the picture is much worst on the XS Max. We are talking about a 400€ more expensive phone here in Portugal!

Since XS Max has the same hardware of XR I believe Apple could implement a switch that would allow people with XS or XS Max to use the main camera for people portraits with much wider field of view and much better low light portraits!

I believe if we pay for the best we should have all the features the other models have plus more!!!

Come on Apple I know you can do this!!!

2. JPOWA thread starter macrumors regular

3. sp2000 macrumors member

There is another thread with this same concern. Anyway, I will check it out in person on friday at my local service provider and compare shots with my xs max.

4. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Oh goodness what person with any sense is going to take a portrait of such a lovely young lady in horrible light like that? I suppose if you’re hell bent on capturing that atrocious background, sure. But then framing such a nice subject so poorly, you deserve the crappy shot you get, I don’t care how much money was spent on the phone.

You go out into some nice light so her face isn’t in harsh shadows. It looks like all we need to do here is ask her to turn around to face the light source. Now we should have adequate lighting and the nice zoom lens can do what it is supposed to do, which is take a nice portrait of the lady that will be free of barrel distortion and show her off to advantage.

These phone cameras aren’t meant to save us from purposely atrocious photography.

Believe it or not I do not miss the point you’re making. Fine, there should be a switch.

But the reason it wasn’t Apple’s first thought to give us one is that there was some assumption that people interested enough to spend more for the second lens for good portrait photography would also be discerning enough to use it properly.