Resolved iPhone XR screen defect

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Alexrat1996, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Alexrat1996 macrumors 68040

Alexrat1996

I see this speck of dust under the iPhone XR display is this fixable by apple store ?

Attached Files:

2. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502a

QueenTyrone

They'll just replace the screen or device. Take it in

3. Alexrat1996 thread starter macrumors 68040

Alexrat1996

I will do that and do you see it in the photo ?

4. Shadowbech macrumors 601

Do you have a screen protector on the device? If so, could it possibly be just under the screen protector and not the underneath the screen glass? If it's under the actual glass of the phone, they will likely just replace the screen.

5. Alexrat1996 thread starter macrumors 68040

Alexrat1996

No glass cover at all.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Yes, it’s dust. And if you’re out of your return period, Then they will issue you a refurbished device, which you also put yourself in a situation of having just another display with dust/debris too. It’s a gambling game that you’re going to find _very_ difficult, even with the next display, rather it be new or refurbished.

7. Alexrat1996 thread starter macrumors 68040

Alexrat1996

Won’t they just replace the display ?

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

They can, you can request that as an option, but if they decide just to issue a new/refurbished phone, they can do that as well. It depends if the store has the necessary parts, and every store varies of how they handle certain situations, where others have had issues in the past, they just issue a replacement devices.

My point being, even if they replace the display in store for you, you still take the risk of them exposing the phone to have dust underneath of it, and being that you’re someone that’s very particular about your displays, do you think that’s worth it to you with one speck of dust on the bottom of your display?

9. Alexrat1996 thread starter macrumors 68040

Alexrat1996

I will just request a replacement at the store and luckily I didn’t install the Zagg glass yet and this is a family member iPhone.

10. Lekro macrumors regular

Lekro

How could you expose the phone to have dust between the glass and the lcd by taking off the screen?

To the OP: By the way don't be afraid of the replacement units. I just got one few days ago and checked the serial, it is a new device set aside for replacement stock. It was manufactured in October 2018 at Pegatron.
    If you get a remanufactured replacement it is equal to a new one anyway.

11. Alexrat1996 thread starter macrumors 68040

Alexrat1996

So my issue in the photo I posted is dust under the display?

I don’t mind a replacement at all.

12. Lekro macrumors regular

Lekro

If there is no way you can wipe it off, it is between the glass/digitizer and the LCD. Apple will take care of it.

13. Alexrat1996 thread starter macrumors 68040

Alexrat1996

I can’t remove it and I will make an apt thanks for helping I was asking so I don’t waste my time at apple if it wasn’t a defect.

14. Lekro macrumors regular

Lekro

15. Relentless Power, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You’re definitely confused. The point is, when they change out the display, there could already be dust embedded in the replacement display due to the manufacturing conditions, it doesn’t change what someone decides to do with the display or the replacement device. Also, FYI, Not every Apple stores issues replacement devices, that’s not their normal protocol if they have the necessary display parts they can replace directly in store.

16. Lekro macrumors regular

Lekro

Of course, but considering this is a rare defect, chances are the replacement screen/device won't have dust in it.
    Either way this is covered under the warranty and the OP should not be afraid taking it back.

17. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

@Alexrat1996 , You’ve returned so many devices for so many reasons at this point, why are you still starting threads and asking us?

Just walk into the store. I’m sure every employee knows you by now. They’ll know what to do. :cool:

18. Alexrat1996 thread starter macrumors 68040

Alexrat1996

So I do t waste time at apple if it isn’t a defect.

19. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Let’s be real and honest with ourselves here, Alex.

We know you won’t be able to unsee it, and no matter what we say here, you’re taking it in and demanding a new device or repair.

20. Alexrat1996 thread starter macrumors 68040

Alexrat1996

I’m taking it since the other people says it’s a defect and I don’t want to waste the Zagg glass at all.

21. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I know you are.

22. Alexrat1996 thread starter macrumors 68040

Alexrat1996

I will update this post once the issue is fixed so I can install my Zagg glass.

23. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

We expect nothing less, sir. o_O

24. puma1552, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019

puma1552 Suspended

Go ahead and swap, but understand you might get a worse one.

I had always gotten keepers the first time with every phone I've bought going back to 2008, but with my Xs, the first one had a visible yellow halo all the way around the screen when on a white page, especially outside in natural light with the brightness up (a regular use case for me), the second one had bizarre chemical run drips behind the back glass (but great screen), and the third one had a screen that was half pink on the left side - you could see it in normal use when reading Macrumors, left to right, left to right, pink to almost a greenish, pink to almost a greenish. Tried to get used to it but couldn't. 4th one is ok though.

You always run the risk of getting a worse device. That said, like me with the chemical drips, if you're posting about it, you probably will never be satisfied with it, so you may as well roll the dice and see if you can get a better one.

Also, if you're in the return window, don't waste your time with the genius bar like so many other people here do when they are still in the return window for some reason. Just go exchange or return/rebuy the device, you have that right and don't need Apple's permission to do so.

25. Alexrat1996 thread starter macrumors 68040

Alexrat1996

It was purchased in February of this year.

I will bring it into service today for a replacement so I can install my Zagg glass.