Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ximenez_Kin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2020
Hi there. I have had an iPhone XR for just over a year. A solid device, never had any problems, dropped it a handful of times as you do, but never any visible damage. 256 GB of storage and, last time I checked, about 100 free so no problems there.

Suddenly, I picked it up from an overnight charge, checked my e-mails and then poof! No response, just the black screen and white Apple logo that you see for seconds on startup. I couldn't restart it and it wouldn't appear on my MacBook Pro when connected with a cable (I'm running Catalina so no iTunes).

I have taken it to the Apple Store and they couldn't do anything for me, so it has been sent off to the factory. Any idea why a 100% reliable phone would just freeze up like that? It's my first iPhone and have been really impressed with it so far. All I heard at the store was "either a software or hardware problem" which is pretty vague.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Either a software or a hardware problem? What else could be? 🤣

Anyway, it can be multiple things. Water damage, motherboard issue (from the drops you mentioned solder joints can break) or component damage (like earpiece flex, charging flex etc).

Without knowing anything specific other than what you mentioned my guess is motherboard damage from the drops, if there is no water damage. Keep in mind steam can cause water damage too.

Ximenez_Kin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2020
Either a software or a hardware problem? What else could be? 🤣

Anyway, it can be multiple things. Water damage, motherboard issue (from the drops you mentioned solder joints can break) or component damage (like earpiece flex, charging flex etc).

Without knowing anything specific other than what you mentioned my guess is motherboard damage from the drops, if there is no water damage. Keep in mind steam can cause water damage too.

That sounds likely, I live in a humid climate so there could be a degree of water damage. Luckily I have just got a notification that my iPhone is now repaired and will be sent back. Thanks for the tips!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.