iPhone XR iPhone XR storage affect benchmarks?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GuruZac, Dec 23, 2018.

1. GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

I stepped up from an iPhone 7 Plus to a 128GB black iPhone XR and have been really impressed with the phone. My only question is I rarely have been able to run geekbench 4 and get over 10,900 on mutlicore scores. I always get the 4800+ on single core but I’m always 300-500 points lower than the 11,200-11,400 multi core scores I’ve seen everywhere else. Are the 256GB phones slightly quicker than the lower storage options?

By the way, I’m not complaining about the speed of the phone at all. It’s fantastic. Just generally interested.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

In the past larger memory modules have performed slightly better than the smaller. But they only way you would be able to tell is to run a geekbenchmark type test. The differerence in daily use would imperceptible.

3. GuruZac thread starter macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

Yeah, like I said I’ve got no complaints about the speed, just wondered if a 256GB XR benchmarks higher than a 128GB or 64GB

4. MacLappy macrumors 6502

Hi Guru,

It’s me again. I too am running an iPhone XR 128GB. My scores are pretty close to the scores online.

Since it is clearly bothering you, might want to go have it checked out by apple.

Also if I am not wrong you are within 14 days and should be able to opt for a return.

[​IMG]

5. GuruZac thread starter macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

I’m just curious as to why I’m averaging 600 less than your phone. I bought mine outright through Verizon, which is the first time I’ve not bought outright through the Apple Store so take back to Verizon or Apple should I decide to do so?

6. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

You have to feel comfortable with your expensive purchase. But if it were me, I wouldn’t play phone lottery. Especially if the phone felt perfect to you.

7. GuruZac thread starter macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

Meaning you would just keep the device? Like I said, I have no complaints about the phone at all. Was just curious that from the get go, I only occasionally break 11,000 and rarely 11,100 when most benchmarks are 11,200-11,500.

8. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

Yes, I would keep the device and not fret over a geekbench score. If the hardware was bad you would know it.

9. MacLappy macrumors 6502

No idea on that one as I do not reside in the states. Personally I would attempt to have my device swap out if it bothers me.

Not too much of a lottery with the iPhone XR, at least you don’t find much complains on this forum unlike the XS/XS Max. Maybe the materials/processes on the iPhone XR are easier to work with.

10. MacLappy macrumors 6502

Actually if it does not bother you, maybe just let it slide. To be honest, don’t think many people actually bother to even download geekbench to test their specific iPhone. Even techies just mostly quote the generic score.

But again.... if it does bother you, it makes sense to have it checked out to see if you can swap it or return it. It is an expensive purchase after all.

11. GuruZac thread starter macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

Yeah worst case scenario, I have 12 months to exchange the phone for a new one at Apple using the 12 month warranty.

12. purged, Dec 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  13. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

I guarantee there is absolutely no perceptible difference in performance between your device and one that benchmarks a few hundred more...

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Some simply can not help themselves.

15. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

I was gonna ask if having a bigger number helps you sleep easier at night. Chasing these numbers doesn't make any sense to me.

16. GuruZac thread starter macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

I was generally curious if there were discrepancies between speed and storage size. I tend to be geeky about specs and numbers. That helped me when I used to work for Porsche. The benchmarks don’t affect my sleep habits, medical school and my young daughters already do that. :D