iPhone XR iPhone XR: wait for new price reductions??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Saburo, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Saburo macrumors newbie

Saburo

Total n00b here...

Looking to get my first (yes, FIRST) iPhone after over a decade of iPod Touch models. Since the likelihood of a new Touch is nil, I guess it's time to get on the iPhone bandwagon.

But now... I should WAIT for new price reductions? Whaaa... Everything is based on trade-ins. Would Apple accept a couple of Gen-5 Touch devices instead?

How long SHOULD I wait, if at all...

2. Squeak825 macrumors 6502

Apple won’t reduce the list price. Best options are deals from carriers.

3. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

All the press about Apple cutting the price of the XR by 40% is a lie. It’s the net price after a trade-in. It’s a bit like saying you can buy a $70,000 BMW for $40,000 (as long as you give them your old BMW that’s actually worth $50k).
    Apple has the money to handle a year of depressed sales - they’ve plenty of money in the bank.

The best we can hope for is that prices for next year’s models will either drop, or they’ll introduce new mid-tier models in the $600 range (5.1 inch XRs anyone?).

4. Relentless Power, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That article you linked is from Forbes making claims they have no knowledge on, its pure hyperbole that they claim Apple is ‘making reductions’. Don’t believe everything you read from online analysts.

If you want it, but it, waiting doesn’t mean anything will happen from Apple, nor do they discount their phones, carriers do through trade in’s and promotions.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

AT&T has a BOGO deal which is what I partook, that's helpful if you need to buy more then one phone. I don't think we'll see a price reduction from apple on the XR. I think maybe next year they'll promote a lower priced phone, but the current ones won't change imo

6. Saburo thread starter macrumors newbie

Saburo

7. Goompa macrumors member

Goompa

I really want to upgrade, but with these ridiculous prices I’ll skip to New Years models or get something else. And I also think that this gen will have the highest drop in value since iPhone 7+.

8. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

Did the Xr even get reduced in Japan?

The carriers will probably reduce it as they usually do but I doubt Apple will.

9. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Apple hasnt dropped the price of a current gen phone since the original ($599 w subsidy to $399 in the fall)

I dont see that changing, but never know!

never expected to see such desperation for XR *and* XS on homepage of Apple.com, not showing any other products

10. hipsheik macrumors regular

Just get one for a discount on ebay.

Just make sure it's not financed.

11. scottcampbell macrumors regular

I mean, the price will go down next September or October...

12. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Back when that story broke, I checked a few carrier websites in Japan, and I couldn't see anything indicate a straight up price drop. I couldn't find the 2/3 subsidy either, but I can't read Japanese, so I may have missed it.