iPhone X iPhone XR/XS Max Landscape Mode Changes from Plus models

Yebubbleman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I'm a huge fan of the landscape mode features that Apple introduced with the iPhone 6 Plus and have kept through the iPhone 8 Plus. Frankly, it was a huge part of my switching to iPhone from Android. The features I'm referring to include:

- The Home Screen and icons rotate to be in the correct orientation a la the iPads
- Two-pane navigation in Mail
- Two-pane navigation in Calendars
- Tabs view in Safari

I went to my local Apple Store today for unrelated errands and found that, when I picked up the iPhone XS Max, some of those features from Plus iPhones didn't carry over exactly. For instance, the home screen rotation features didn't carry at all. And in Mail, you could view your inbox over the message you had open, but not view both at the same time (making going through your mail quickly a bit of a chore). Am I missing a setting where you can re-enable some of these iPhone Plus features in settings? I didn't want to spend an awkward amount of time fumbling on the display phone, but I did spend a good ten minutes or so and couldn't find anything. Does anyone know what else I might have missed that's no longer there from Plus model iPhones? I'm kind of bummed. All of those features were a decent part of what make me love the iPhone.

sledgehammer89

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
In Notes and Messages there are no split view at all! I'm a bit disappointed, but it looks like Apple want to limit "Plus" Apps for a reason that we don't know. Maybe a bigger layout change in iOS 13.

itsmilo

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2016
Europe
In Notes and Messages there are no split view at all! I'm a bit disappointed, but it looks like Apple want to limit "Plus" Apps for a reason that we don't know. Maybe a bigger layout change in iOS 13.
Huh? Max got split view in Messages and Notes

sledgehammer89

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
Huh? Max got split view in Messages and Notes
Not on the demo device in the local electronic store yesterday. Maybe there is a setting? And there was 12.0.0 running, not 12.0.1.

But what I REALLY like is the bigger keyboard in landscape mode. This can be THE reason to switch from my 7+...

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
I'm a huge fan of the landscape mode features that Apple introduced with the iPhone 6 Plus and have kept through the iPhone 8 Plus. Frankly, it was a huge part of my switching to iPhone from Android. The features I'm referring to include:

- The Home Screen and icons rotate to be in the correct orientation a la the iPads
- Two-pane navigation in Mail
- Two-pane navigation in Calendars
- Tabs view in Safari

I went to my local Apple Store today for unrelated errands and found that, when I picked up the iPhone XS Max, some of those features from Plus iPhones didn't carry over exactly. For instance, the home screen rotation features didn't carry at all. And in Mail, you could view your inbox over the message you had open, but not view both at the same time (making going through your mail quickly a bit of a chore). Am I missing a setting where you can re-enable some of these iPhone Plus features in settings? I didn't want to spend an awkward amount of time fumbling on the display phone, but I did spend a good ten minutes or so and couldn't find anything. Does anyone know what else I might have missed that's no longer there from Plus model iPhones? I'm kind of bummed. All of those features were a decent part of what make me love the iPhone.
Why knoot!? Get an iPad? The Landscape isn't really a good combo on an iPhone X/XR/XS MAX Series because of super wide screen at 1.95:1 it would look extremely long and cramped. Remember the Landscape is good on iPad it looks more natural and look Macbook OS on iOS 10 and above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.