iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max to be Available SIM-Free at Launch

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2018 at 1:41 PM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple will offer SIM-free iPhone XS and iPhone XS models for pre-order according to Apple's website, which means customers will be able to purchase the new smartphones without a carrier.

The SIM-free models are not always offered for newly launched iPhones, especially when supplies are tight, so the availability of SIM-free models suggests iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max supply will be plentiful this year.

[​IMG]

SIM-free models are unlocked and can be activated with any carrier at a later date, making them an appealing purchase choice.

To purchase a SIM-free device, the outright price must be paid upfront. The iPhone XS starts at $999, while the iPhone XS Plus starts at $1,099. Apple plans to begin offering pre-orders this Friday, likely at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time based on past iPhone launches.

Article Link: iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max to be Available SIM-Free at Launch

2. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

3. 0815 macrumors 68000

The haters will read this as a sign that this phone is a failure and not expected to sell well .... too me it sounds they managed to produce plenty of phones. Still doing my yearly tradition of getting up at 2:55am to order at 3:01am :)

4. KrisLord macrumors 65816

Always wondered why sim free wasn’t available immediately in the US when it was in other markets.

5. Theyayarealivin macrumors 6502

The iPhone XS accepts nano chip right?if I have an AT&T phone I can just pop my old iPhone X sim in is that correct? Please clarify.

6. Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

7. whyamihere macrumors 6502

whyamihere

Been waiting on this for years. Of course now I have no desire to go from my X to either of these phones.

8. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

This is good news for customers who travel overseas and need to use foreign SIM-cards.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I will definitely be buying the SIM free model.

10. alpi123 macrumors 6502

alpi123

A bit of common sense won't hurt, but as far as your question goes - the capability is the same.

11. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Awesome, now let’s do this every year. It’s downright annoying having to validate with a carrier, especially for a pre-order, even though I use Verizon.

12. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I notice that when I choose the XS Max via the iOS app, even if I choose the "Replace this iPhone option" (I'm on AT&T) and I choose One-time payment, that the last screen says "Unlocked iPhone with AT&T SIM".

So isn't this the same as choosing "Buy a new iPhone" and the SIM-free option?

13. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

Might be able to put pressure on your carrier to wave that $35 new device activation fee this way. Walk into retail and say, "hi, want to keep my business, I'm about to switch my SIM and don't want to get charged, otherwise I'm walking next door." Better than the annual call to customer service to get them to reverse the charge. :p

14. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

But S!!!

15. avanpelt macrumors 68030

Yes, the end result for you is the same either way -- you will have an unlocked iPhone with an AT&T SIM card in it. The 'Replace the phone on your AT&T account' option gets you a brand new AT&T SIM card with the phone that you can either activate (which will then deactivate your existing SIM card, I think) or you can destroy the new SIM and use your existing SIM card -- up to you. The SIM-free option is just that -- bring your own SIM.

16. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

At those prices, the supply shall be plentiful...

17. luvbug macrumors regular

luvbug

But, but ... there is no iPhone XS PLUS. (As stated in the article).

18. KGBguy macrumors member

KGBguy

Finally, about time!!!

19. mmomega macrumors 68030

mmomega

So purchasing the Sim free model, you can activate with the eSIM rather than using the physical SIM?
    Or does anyone know if the physical SIM needs to be occupied or activated in order to use the eSIM?
    Or it does not matter?

20. kryten3000 macrumors regular

kryten3000

Yes, that’s possible. However (I don’t know this for certain) you may need to call your carrier to provision the new phone.

21. Tonyyyperez macrumors newbie

Tonyyyperez

My big question, is how this dual sim thing works with the carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile who lock their phones, did this finally make them not able to lock the phones?

22. kryten3000 macrumors regular

kryten3000

To clarify: all models, except those sold in China, will have a SIM tray AND the E-SIM. I just want to make certain that you understand that there is no model available without a SIM tray.

23. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Understood. :)

Never hurts to clarify for the masses.

I already have the SIM free iPhone X. ;)

24. AgentAnonymous macrumors regular

AgentAnonymous

25. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Sim-free for me! I move all the time and am never sure which carrier I will need in a given area. I am due to move again in a month or so from now and I don't even know where I'm going yet.