Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Natya Sadella

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
My Xs lags. This microstuttering can be seen when I‘m in safari and read a bit and then scroll. The scrolling is absolutely not fluid. Sometimes I get those microlags when swiping up for the homescreen.

Do you experience the same?

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
Same. It's the stupid Intel when they stopped using qualcomm. The WiFi is worse whereas my note 8 is fast. The lte is not as fast.

Why did they drop Qualcomm ughhhhhh. Apple being Apple. I'm so mad.

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
Same. It's the stupid Intel when they stopped using qualcomm. The WiFi is worse whereas my note 8 is fast. The lte is not as fast.

Why did they drop Qualcomm ughhhhhh. Apple being Apple. I'm so mad.
You know the entire page is loaded and that scrolling doesn't cause another fetch from the server, right?

If it lags during scrolling after loading, it isn't Intel's fault.

Natya Sadella

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
I think my problem has nothing to do with the modem. The whole ui feels not as fluid as on my 7.

MOTiiVHATE`

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2015
I am getting micro-stuttering as well. I don’t think it has anything to do with webpages loading, because I get it sometimes closing/opening an app, or opening the app switcher and selecting an app.

My X does not have this problem. I feel like this maybe related to the A12’s lower power cores and iOS 12 not optimized well enough yet for it.

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
You know the entire page is loaded and that scrolling doesn't cause another fetch from the server, right? If it lags during scrolling after loading, it isn't Intel's fault.

on my Max, the page is not loaded and it is just spinning. I do think it is Intel. i think they will do a software update to better optimize with the new intel chip.

Zdodo

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2016
I am having this same issue, in apps as well, and there are a few threads about it, so it seems to be reasonably common.

Natya Sadella

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
Can you please link some of the threads you mentioned? I would like to know more about this.

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
on my Max, the page is not loaded and it is just spinning. I do think it is Intel. i think they will do a software update to better optimize with the new intel chip.

If that's what you're experiencing - it's an entirely different issue vs. what OP is describing.

In general, I'm sure upcoming updates/optimizations will smooth out most of these types of issues.

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
If that's what you're experiencing - it's an entirely different issue vs. what OP is describing. In general, I'm sure upcoming updates/optimizations will smooth out most of these types of issues.

Right. but I do experience lag when I swipe up to go home. I think it's mainly animation anyways.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Max even though, I can't help noticing things.

Natya Sadella

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
Please see my profile, I have commented in all of them.
Alright thank you.

iOS 12.1 beta 1 doesnt improve the stuttering by the way.

Its funny how apple focused on the older devices in ios 12 but the latest runs like **** lol

MOTiiVHATE`

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2015
FWIW I couldn’t replicate this on any of the display XS’s or XS Max’s that I looked at today. Hopefully a bug Apple will sort out.

Raspree

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2018
My Xs lags. This microstuttering can be seen when I‘m in safari and read a bit and then scroll. The scrolling is absolutely not fluid. Sometimes I get those microlags when swiping up for the homescreen.

Do you experience the same?
Yes the exact experience on XS 256gb. Thought it had something to do with restoring my iOS 11 backup from my X to the XS.
Restored the XS today and set it up as new, yet it showed the same performance dip. Experienced micro-stutter while typing too. It doesn't have anything to do with Intel is what I feel, instead it's with the optimising of iOS 12 for XS.
On updating to iOS 12.0.1 I've noticed a lag in Face ID too.
Really gutted thinking making this switch to XS from X would've given me the smoothest iOS experience.

Bobby dazzler

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2013
Yes the exact experience on XS 256gb. Thought it had something to do with restoring my iOS 11 backup from my X to the XS.
Restored the XS today and set it up as new, yet it showed the same performance dip. Experienced micro-stutter while typing too. It doesn't have anything to do with Intel is what I feel, instead it's with the optimising of iOS 12 for XS.
On updating to iOS 12.0.1 I've noticed a lag in Face ID too.
Really gutted thinking making this switch to XS from X would've given me the smoothest iOS experience.
Hi all,
My X was brilliant, but slowed up with iOS12
I’d get terrible lag just selecting a photo to send; you could almost count up to 20 before the iMessage app opened.

Then, my X stopped working. Lost all mobile data. Just a black triangle with an exclamation mark in the top right hand of the display.
There was no repair and an Apple retail store swapped it for a new one.

I don’t know if these things are connected, but totally full marks to Apple for a no-quibble swap.

My replacement X has no lag issues

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.