iPhone XS Max iPhone XS Max and iPhone XR signal strength

Alexrat1996

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
I been comparing my iPhone XS Max to my mom iPhone XR.

I notice her iPhone XR gets full bars

My iPhone XS Max get 4 bars and some times it goes from 4 bars to two bars then from 4 bars to full and it dose Fluctuate and I never drop a call etc.

Can the design of the phone be the thing ?

Apple ran a diagnostic test all passed.

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
The number of bars displayed isn't important, and will vary based on may factors. Wireless networking over inherently noisy channels is notoriously hard. Instead, ask the important questions--Does the phone make calls? Does it communicate data?

Alexrat1996

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
The number of bars displayed isn't important, and will vary based on may factors. Wireless networking over inherently noisy channels is notoriously hard. Instead, ask the important questions--Does the phone make calls? Does it communicate data?
Yes it works and I do notice the bars drop a bit from 4-2 and 4 to full bars that’s about.
[doublepost=1549810702][/doublepost]
No. I am living with it until Apple fixes it. Or doesn’t. Don’t want to exchange the phone unless it’s actually broken. Phone lottery.
I won’t at all either

Falcon9

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
Eastern Canada
FWIW my XS used to report low reception (1-2 bars) at home while my previous 6s would show 3-4 bars. This was the case for a while until I finally used the phone to make a call (if you haven’t guessed I don’t use the phone as a phone very much) at which point it showed full bars and has been that way ever since. Since then I have travelled quite a bit and the reception has been nothing short of phenomenal pretty much wherever I go IMHO.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
FWIW my XS used to report low reception (1-2 bars) at home while my previous 6s would show 3-4 bars. This was the case for a while until I finally used the phone to make a call (if you haven’t guessed I don’t use the phone as a phone very much) at which point it showed full bars and has been that way ever since. Since then I have travelled quite a bit and the reception has been nothing short of phenomenal pretty much wherever I go IMHO.
My bars of service vary and my mom just got her XR yesterday and it showed full bars while mine fluctuate.