Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

commie1997

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
I got my Xs Max about 1.5 years ago, along with AppleCare, that expires in Jan21.
In the last 2-3 months I am noticing the battery is not keeping its charge as before.....a full charge will last me about 5-6 hours now...and my usage pattern have not changed.

I checked the battery health monitor and it shows 91%...Is that tool accurate?

What are the options if I want to replace the battery?
- pay for it myself at apple store - how much is that normally?
- any discount with appleCare?

I am in Toronto Canada.

johnparjr

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Earth
Call AppleCare they will run remote diagnostics if it fails it’s covered if it doesn’t you would have to pay to replace it

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Apple wouldn't service your battery if it's not below 80%. My Xs Max is almost as old as yours and I'm at 95% and gotta agree the battery could be better. Have you checked out their smart battery case?

camilasaunder89

Suspended
Aug 12, 2020
You should immediately contact Apple care and tell them about your Battery issue. If it falls under guaranty then you are not required to pay the price.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Battery replacement for the iPhone Xs Max is $69 if it is out of warranty - this is what Apple will charge you.

I'm having my battery replaced, my phone is 2 years old and battery status is 84%. I was at the Apple Store yesterday and will go back for battery replacement once they've received other parts they ordered that also need to be replaced (camera). They told me that normally they wouldn't recommend battery replacement as long as it is over 80%, but I told them I'd go ahead and do it now, and they had no objection.

Since your phone is covered by AppleCare, they will likely not replace it (for free) unless there is an indication of some fault or issue. They will run diagnostics on the phone at the store and be able to tell if there is an issue with the battery or with something else.

My recommendation is that you go to the Apple Store, make an appointment with the Genius Bar and tell them that you have an issue with the battery life seeming to be unusually short, and let them diagnose the phone and determine what is wrong.

Irrespective of what they determine, you can always have the battery replaced at your own cost, just as I am doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.