iPhone XS Max iPhone XS Max battery Vs XR

JD1984

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
I have been having antenna issues on my last two XR phones and lots of call failed calls.
Well I decided to get the XS Max and now the first day of using it the battery seems to really suck vs the XR. I talk on my phone a lot everyday for my small business and it’s important to have a working phone with no called failed. I know it will happen but I had it happening to me daily multiple times a day. Apple suggested I exchange it as they ran a disagnsotics on it and could not figure out the issue on the XR.
So here I am wondering why the Max is already at 35% from 1:24pm and it’s now 5:48pm. I haven’t been using it more other them Facebook and my business calls.
Is this normal for the Max to die so soon or does the battery need be trained since it’s a brand new phone?
I could have sworn I read that somewhere about new phone batteries. Oh I also forgot to mention I already had a call failed‍♀
I am beginning to wonder if it’s Verizon’s service in my area.

Does anyone have tips on if this is normal for the Max to die so soon?

aue123

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2019
ohio
supposedly from toms guide the max is roughly an hour behind the XR.. so i would think it’s wouldnt be drastically noticeable

JD1984

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
supposedly from toms guide the max is roughly an hour behind the XR.. so i would think it’s wouldnt be drastically noticeable
What does that mean an hour behind?
[doublepost=1548378411][/doublepost]
I just know that when I was talking on my XR it was lasting nearly all day without having to plug it in to charge.

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Battery life on my max is good IMO. Of course my usage is different than yours. I do have power saving mode enabled all the time and font have the Facebook app installed. Screen brightness is about 50% and have push email off. A web search for power saving tips might help. I start the day at 80% and end at about 50%. My 6s would have been at 20% starting at 100%.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

nordique

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2014
I've owned the XS Max, and currently own the XR

XR on average lasts longer

Full day with the X -> 17-30% when I'm home
Full day with the XS -> 17-30% when I'm home
Full day with the XS Max -> 28-40% when I'm home
Full day with the XR -> 48-60% when I'm home

Granted, it varies but we're talking out of the house for 12 hours at least

I've owned all these devices at one point in time, currently just own the X and XR.

X is perfectly fine for all day battery, but the XR is like 2 day battery is you want in some cases!

XS was advertised as 30 more mins, for me it lasted the same/no difference from the X

XS Max is also true all day battery life, but with plenty in the tank when you're home, though the XR lasts long! For me it was noticeable from the X/XS but not the XS Max....but I never had the XS Max at 50% from a long work day. I'm on the phone a lot! XR is the first phone (including any Android that I've owned or currently own) that I've pushed 12 hours and come home with pretty much 50% left

1rottenapple

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2004
I went on vacation first a 7 plus one year, then 8 plus. Then xs max in nov 2018. Given that I only use my smartphone as my vacation camera, for the first time in quiet a while I was rationing my battery on my xs max. I had to use a battery pack. And I hit red single digit battery. Even at work I hit 30%. With the xr it’s 50% for heavy use and 75% regular use. So yah, the OLED is a battery hog.

JD1984

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
I went on vacation first a 7 plus one year, then 8 plus. Then xs max in nov 2018. Given that I only use my smartphone as my vacation camera, for the first time in quiet a while I was rationing my battery on my xs max. I had to use a battery pack. And I hit red single digit battery. Even at work I hit 30%. With the xr it’s 50% for heavy use and 75% regular use. So yah, the OLED is a battery hog.

That makes sense
[doublepost=1548411170][/doublepost]
I've owned the XS Max, and currently own the XR

XR on average lasts longer

Full day with the X -> 17-30% when I'm home
Full day with the XS -> 17-30% when I'm home
Full day with the XS Max -> 28-40% when I'm home
Full day with the XR -> 48-60% when I'm home

Granted, it varies but we're talking out of the house for 12 hours at least

I've owned all these devices at one point in time, currently just own the X and XR.

X is perfectly fine for all day battery, but the XR is like 2 day battery is you want in some cases!

XS was advertised as 30 more mins, for me it lasted the same/no difference from the X

XS Max is also true all day battery life, but with plenty in the tank when you're home, though the XR lasts long! For me it was noticeable from the X/XS but not the XS Max....but I never had the XS Max at 50% from a long work day. I'm on the phone a lot! XR is the first phone (including any Android that I've owned or currently own) that I've pushed 12 hours and come home with pretty much 50% left
Do you prefer you XR over the Max?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
If you are in an area where you have poor reception, it will run the battery down in any smart phone. I consider myself a medium user on my Max and it goes on the charger with never less than 40% remaining. I do have excellent coverage from ATT.

Reactions: Wide opeN

Caesars

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2013
I find the battery on the Max to be ....not so good. I’m not really a power user these days and it still needed charged mid day.

Luckily someone at apple finally convinced someone else to make a new smart battery case, now it at least lasts until evening.

1rottenapple

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2004
I find the battery on the Max to be ....not so good. I’m not really a power user these days and it still needed charged mid day.

Luckily someone at apple finally convinced someone else to make a new smart battery case, now it at least lasts until evening.
That’s what I noticed going from the 8 plus to the max. Apple was deceptive when quoting battery life on the max. They don’t compare the max to the 8 plus battery life in the reveal.

Reactions: Caesars

nordique

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2014
That makes sense
[doublepost=1548411170][/doublepost]

Do you prefer you XR over the Max?
My personal preference is the XS Max

But - If i was going to get a phone new on contract, for what you get, in Canada (on avg) on the same plan that would get me a XS Max 64GB for 589$ would get me a 64GB XR for 99$

Retail price difference is about the same here, 1029 vs 1519

From a value perspective, I would take the XR over the XS Max, but that doesn't change my personal preference because the XS Max is ultimately a nicer product. Still all day battery, but a much nicer screen, dual camera, thinner bezel. Is that worth 500$ more though when its the same A12 and main camera? Not 500$ more, no.

jschnee21

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
Not to start a flame war, but if the OP really depends on talking on the phone all day long for his business, a Samsung phone -- like a Note with a massive battery -- would be the better choice. In addition to the many iPhones I've had over the years (recently upgraded from a 6s to an XSM), I also have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

While Android 8 the best Android OS yet, it still can't hold a candle to iOS.

But from a call quality, RF sensitivity, call volume, and general modem (Qualcomm) performance stand point the Samsung makes my iPhone look like an infant.

While it sucks to have to carry two phones, if you need reliable voice calling Apple is not your best choice.

Reactions: GrumpyMom

MajkJaro

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2013
Why does my iphone show that my screen was only off for 3 minutes and on for nearly 7h... it lies for most of the time on the desk locked... can You please help me?

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
Not to start a flame war, but if the OP really depends on talking on the phone all day long for his business, a Samsung phone -- like a Note with a massive battery -- would be the better choice. In addition to the many iPhones I've had over the years (recently upgraded from a 6s to an XSM), I also have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

But from a call quality, RF sensitivity, call volume, and general modem (Qualcomm) performance stand point the Samsung makes my iPhone look like an infant.

While it sucks to have to carry two phones, if you need reliable voice calling Apple is not your best choice.
It's hard to understand why the S7 is so much better because your former 6s also had a Qualcomm modem....
[doublepost=1560971326][/doublepost]

But that should be a really heavy and thick iPhone...Never needed a battery case for my XR....

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah I carry a Samsung along with my iPhone because I’ve needed it living out in the country with patches of rough service from AT&T.

My Xr, though, performs better as a phone for me than any other iPhone I’ve ever owned, and definitely better than the Max I owned briefly. But my battery life is not as good as other Xr owners seem to get. I guess it’s because my phone isn’t getting optimal signal.

Tsepz

macrumors 68040
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Yeah I carry a Samsung along with my iPhone because I’ve needed it living out in the country with patches of rough service from AT&T.

My Xr, though, performs better as a phone for me than any other iPhone I’ve ever owned, and definitely better than the Max I owned briefly. But my battery life is not as good as other Xr owners seem to get. I guess it’s because my phone isn’t getting optimal signal.
Could it be due to the Stainless Steel on the XS and XS Max that makes them weaker? I have no idea how good Or bad stainless steel is in terms of containing/interference of signals.