Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaizoku1992

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2019
I have a problem on my new iPhone XS Max that I bought three weeks ago. When I wake up my phone with slide button, or “tap to wake” or “rase to wake” features, some times my phone doesn’t open and screen remains black but my phone is on, I can open apps and I’m listening sounds (but screen is black). To open my screen when this happening, I need to press slide button (then I’m hearing sound that phone closed) and press it again (display wake up). Then screen opens and image are showing on screen. Hard reset its not necessary because with 2 press on slide button it open. What’s the problem? This happening about 1-3 times a day. I send it to apple and they didnt find any hardware problem. Is this a bug that may fixed in ios 12.3? Anyone has the same issue?

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I’ve had this happen a few times on my XS Max on 12.3.1, it’s very odd behaviour and only seems to happen when I have iCloud Drive turned on. I’ve now adjusted what apps have access to it and will continue to monitor.

You go to Unlock the phone and it simply stays blank, then after a few tries it finally turns the screen on.

Had it happen to me embarrassingly as I was trying to get the number of a lady I was talking to at a local show recording we were invited to this past Sunday night, luckily it eventually turned on the screen while we were ordering drinks and it worked out, but for a second I wanted to throw my XS Max against a damn wall.

Interestingly enough this is a bug that plagued an older Samsung before, the Galaxy S7 Edge had this exact same bug, and would require a whole reboot sometimes, Samsung eventually sorted the issue out, I hope Apple do to.

Reactions: Kaizoku1992

Kaizoku1992

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2019
I’ve had this happen a few times on my XS Max on 12.3.1, it’s very odd behaviour and only seems to happen when I have iCloud Drive turned on. I’ve now adjusted what apps have access to it and will continue to monitor.

You go to Unlock the phone and it simply stays blank, then after a few tries it finally turns the screen on.

Had it happen to me embarrassingly as I was trying to get the number of a lady I was talking to at a local show recording we were invited to this past Sunday night, luckily it eventually turned on the screen while we were ordering drinks and it worked out, but for a second I wanted to throw my XS Max against a damn wall.

Interestingly enough this is a bug that plagued an older Samsung before, the Galaxy S7 Edge had this exact same bug, and would require a whole reboot sometimes, Samsung eventually sorted the issue out, I hope Apple do to.
So you think that this is an iOS bug for sure and not a hardware issue?

Kaizoku1992

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2019

I turned out iCloud Drive but still the same issue.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
My max has ghosted me a couple times since owning like mentioned here. It hasn’t occurred in last 2 weeks so I can only presume new software and hardware becoming acquainted? At least Im hoping that was the case

Kaizoku1992

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2019
Y
My max has ghosted me a couple times since owning like mentioned here. It hasn’t occurred in last 2 weeks so I can only presume new software and hardware becoming acquainted? At least Im hoping that was the case
you had the same issue as shows on video?

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Y

you had the same issue as shows on video?
Not exactly but similar. My issue is when tapping the screen to wake. On a few occasions the screen momentarily flashes on (as expected) but instantly goes black. Initially it looked like the screen was off but tapping screen again did nothing. Only the power button would bring the lock screen back.

This occurred only a couple of times and soon after initial set-up of device. It hasn’t happened again over the past few weeks. I presume it was a software thing, after a few restarts the max has been pretty much solid & without issue since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.