iPhone XS Max iPhone xs max brightness turned down = stuttering

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Andreas00, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Andreas00 macrumors member

I just realized when im in certain apps. Google maps or phoenix 2 for example, the phone seems to be running in a low power mode when using a low brightness setting on the phone. Try being in google maps with a high brightness settings and moving around. Everythings smooth. Now try turning down your brightness level and you’ll see stuttering.

2. Vegaspilot macrumors regular

I’m seeing that on my XS on most apps when the brightness is full low. Also get a red/green ghosting.

3. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

4. Andreas00 thread starter macrumors member

What do you mean by red/green ghosting?

5. PatrikCoC macrumors member

PatrikCoC

Hi! Finally, this is the second thread of this issue. This bug started with iPhone X on iOS 11.0. I first had it with Clash Royale, it was stuttering with zero brightness, Google Maps does the same. Interesting fact: If you start screen recording, the stuttering will stop and it ll be smooth again. On my XS Max, its the same. It is an iOS bug, you are not alone. I also did a clean reinstall, but it is still the same.

Those who dont experience it, close the affected app like Google maps, set brightness to high, open GMaps but dont do anything, set brightness to zero, and do circles in the map - 25fps.

6. Vegaspilot macrumors regular

When I swipe up or down and the brightness full down, text and pictures with leave a red or green ghost image for a sec at times.

7. HeadphoneAddict macrumors 6502a

HeadphoneAddict

My Xs Max is smooth as glass when using it with screen brightness all the way down in a dark room. No ghosting, no stuttering, nothing odd at all.

8. PatrikCoC macrumors member

PatrikCoC

9. Andreas00 thread starter macrumors member

I got in contact with the apple support they wanted me to provide them with a sysdiagnose. Will update when i get another response

10. PatrikCoC macrumors member

PatrikCoC

Oh yeah, they asked it from me multiple times, but no fix yet :( Hopefully this time they will.

11. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

The green ghosting is a characteristic of OLED. You can find similar threads from last year when the X was launched.

12. PatrikCoC macrumors member

PatrikCoC

Ghosting is, but the low-brightness lag when using specific app isnt. Especially if its gone by starting screen recording.

13. Mr.C macrumors 601

14. PatrikCoC macrumors member

PatrikCoC

How did you try? Also, reboot your phone, then open Maps with normal brightness, set it to the lowest, wait few secs then do circles in the map - > stutter.

This issue is nasty because not everyone can do it or can notice it.

15. PatrikCoC macrumors member

PatrikCoC

Obviously still persists in iOS 12.1 release on both of my X and XS Max devices...

16. Andreas00 thread starter macrumors member

Yupp