iPhone XS Max iPhone Xs Max Brightness

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Orangeman13, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Orangeman13 macrumors 6502

Orangeman13

do you notice that you pretty much have to turn the brightness all the way up in order for it to look good? It seems I only had to turn the brightness up about halfway on my 7+ to get the same effect.

2. RomeosTune macrumors member

RomeosTune

Yes, I notice the same thing. I just came from a 7+ also. I love almost everything about the phone but that.

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

4. RomeosTune macrumors member

RomeosTune

I just turned mine down to 50% and it's awful. Think I'll go to the store and compare.

5. Fredo C macrumors member

It depends on room lighting, but to me it starts to look really good at about 75%. ​

6. RomeosTune macrumors member

RomeosTune

I'm going by the same light as I always have. But hey, if I turn out the lights it's great! lol

7. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Auto brightness on or off? It is on by default under accessibility options. I turned it off on the X as well.

8. RomeosTune macrumors member

RomeosTune

I always keep mine off and now turned up 100%

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I keep it on. Always seems to work well.

10. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I personally don't like it. Have run into situations many times where the sensor is in a brighter spot and dims down my display to the point where I can't see it. Most annoying thing, while it is ramping down (or up) the display brightness, you cannot override it with the slider.

But, I can understand where it works perfectly for others, I am just thankful we have the ability to change the setting!

11. Orangeman13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Orangeman13

Stupid question but where is accessibility? I can’t find it :(

12. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Valid point. Now that you mention it, that scenario has happened to me a few times over the years.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2018 ---
    Settings > general

13. Sikh macrumors 6502

Sikh

I noticed this too and I thought I was crazy. Compared it to my 10 and also thought I was crazy. Then I remembered auto brightness and boom, my phone looks normal again. This display is also the brightest display according to displaymate so I thought something was wrong with my phone. Then I turned auto brightness off which is what i normally do and my display looked normal again.

I normally have my slider at 10-15% and 25% if im in a bright area. I only have my display brighter if im outside or in ****** lightning. I like not burning my cornea's so im glad my display brightness is back to normal.

14. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

just remember, if you turn off auto, you don't get full screen brightness

15. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Just checked my MAX and it is at about 33% brightness and looks fine to me. I do use Auto

16. SMGreenfield macrumors member

SMGreenfield

With my new XS Max, I found the initial screen settings to be quite DIM: even after the common solution of turning off the Auto-Brightness feature (conveniently hidden in the Display Accommodations pane of the Accessibility settings), I had an issue with my brightness slider randomly failing to increase brightness beyond approximately the 70% brightness point. I'm a developer, but I was baffled. I spoke to an AppleCare tech, who suggested doing the "Reset Settings", which sort of helped, but then the issue came back.

I stumbled across a posting that described going into a dark room, turning on the Auto-Brightness feature, turning up the brightness slider all the way, then turning Auto-Brightness back off again. THIS APPEARS TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM: my XS Max screen is as bright as my iPhone 6s Plus!

17. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

Just checked under accessibility and don’t see switch for auto brightness on my Xs Max.

Never mind found it.

18. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

THIS is why I can set the phone on 100% and it still looks dim at times. I just switched it off and it got too bright. Turned it back on, but glad to know. It was bothering me. Thought OLED was no big deal.

19. Macalway macrumors 68030

I never liked auto-brightness but I have it on now with true-tone. The OLED is different than an IPS, so the contrast, or something, effects it at low brightness levels. Just looks different.

20. Seth Matthews macrumors 6502

Seth Matthews

This is not true. You don't get the full screen brightness with it on. Go turn it off, move the slider all the way up and wait about 5-7 seconds. You can actually watch the screen go to its true full brightness.

21. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You will burn through your battery in no time, keeping brightness all the way up.

22. Seth Matthews macrumors 6502

Seth Matthews

I know that. I use auto brightness. I was just correcting the wrong information the poster I quoted had stated.

23. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Understood. I was reminding others, that they will need a constant power brick to run at full brightness.