Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orangeman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2015
do you notice that you pretty much have to turn the brightness all the way up in order for it to look good? It seems I only had to turn the brightness up about halfway on my 7+ to get the same effect.

Reactions: Olivia23

Fredo C

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
It depends on room lighting, but to me it starts to look really good at about 75%.​

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I keep it on. Always seems to work well.
I personally don't like it. Have run into situations many times where the sensor is in a brighter spot and dims down my display to the point where I can't see it. Most annoying thing, while it is ramping down (or up) the display brightness, you cannot override it with the slider.

But, I can understand where it works perfectly for others, I am just thankful we have the ability to change the setting!

Reactions: Orangeman13

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I personally don't like it. Have run into situations many times where the sensor is in a brighter spot and dims down my display to the point where I can't see it. Most annoying thing, while it is ramping down (or up) the display brightness, you cannot override it with the slider.

But, I can understand where it works perfectly for others, I am just thankful we have the ability to change the setting!
Valid point. Now that you mention it, that scenario has happened to me a few times over the years.
[doublepost=1537924094][/doublepost]
Stupid question but where is accessibility? I can’t find it :(
Settings > general

Sikh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
I noticed this too and I thought I was crazy. Compared it to my 10 and also thought I was crazy. Then I remembered auto brightness and boom, my phone looks normal again. This display is also the brightest display according to displaymate so I thought something was wrong with my phone. Then I turned auto brightness off which is what i normally do and my display looked normal again.

I normally have my slider at 10-15% and 25% if im in a bright area. I only have my display brighter if im outside or in ****** lightning. I like not burning my cornea's so im glad my display brightness is back to normal.

Reactions: Orangeman13

SMGreenfield

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2008
Ellensburg, CA
With my new XS Max, I found the initial screen settings to be quite DIM: even after the common solution of turning off the Auto-Brightness feature (conveniently hidden in the Display Accommodations pane of the Accessibility settings), I had an issue with my brightness slider randomly failing to increase brightness beyond approximately the 70% brightness point. I'm a developer, but I was baffled. I spoke to an AppleCare tech, who suggested doing the "Reset Settings", which sort of helped, but then the issue came back.

I stumbled across a posting that described going into a dark room, turning on the Auto-Brightness feature, turning up the brightness slider all the way, then turning Auto-Brightness back off again. THIS APPEARS TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM: my XS Max screen is as bright as my iPhone 6s Plus!

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
Auto brightness on or off? It is on by default under accessibility options. I turned it off on the X as well.
THIS is why I can set the phone on 100% and it still looks dim at times. I just switched it off and it got too bright. Turned it back on, but glad to know. It was bothering me. Thought OLED was no big deal.

Macalway

macrumors 601
Aug 7, 2013
I never liked auto-brightness but I have it on now with true-tone. The OLED is different than an IPS, so the contrast, or something, effects it at low brightness levels. Just looks different.

Seth Matthews

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
The Ether
just remember, if you turn off auto, you don't get full screen brightness

This is not true. You don't get the full screen brightness with it on. Go turn it off, move the slider all the way up and wait about 5-7 seconds. You can actually watch the screen go to its true full brightness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.